The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

95' Talon ESi D.D./Project Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicecreed

Proven Member
Apr 19, 2015
Burnsville, North_Carolina
Quick overview of current Project-
1995 Eagle Talon ESi
Exterior:
97-99 Eclipse front bumper and headlights
95-96 Eclipse rear bumper

Interior:
Sony Headunit

Wheels/Suspension:
OEM 16" GS 5 spoke rims

Motor(5speed)/Underhood-
stock bottom end
refurbished head with new OEM Valves/lifters
Supertech dual valve springs
Makeshift CAI intake
OBX header
Cat deleted
Spec-D muffler
EGR delete
A/C delete

Most likely upgrades in 2015:
Urethane motor/transmission mount inserts
Solid shifter cable bushings
Front/Rear suspension bushing upgraded
97-99 Fog Lights
EVAP delete

95' Talon TSi D.D./Project Car

Read more about this vehicle here...

Last edited:
Well here's the quick back story on my project.
It begins, with not the Talon, but a 95' Eclipse RS 5speed I traded a Civic sedan for, plus a recently built head that needed two new exhaust valves(had built lower end, but previous owner blew the pistons and block).
Day I got it home.
fb_img_1437269960997-1-jpg.273923.jpg

First thing I did, was tint the tails.
fb_img_1437270078157-1-jpg.273930.jpg

Not even a week later.. the right balljoint failed.
fb_img_1437269973838-1-jpg.273924.jpg

Ordered brand new Control Arms, and replaced that one as well as the other side.
Drove it for about 2, maybe three months and one night the rubber hose on the coolant line above the header ruptured, I didn't realize until it was too late, HG blew.
So my friend who has done lots of work on 2G's, especially with the 420a offered to help.
fb_img_1437270013076-1-jpg.273927.jpg

We loaded it up, and thats when I realized I had problems....
fb_img_1437269998482-1-jpg.273926.jpg

But I'd worry about that after I got it running again, had to get to work, bumming rides off of friends and family sucks.

So decided since I had to replace the HG I would go ahead and replace the two valves in the built head and swap it on, and we did.
fb_img_1437270035979-1-jpg.273928.jpg

Surprisingly only the two #4 exhaust valves were bent, all the other cylinders were fine.
fb_img_1437270046273-1-jpg.273929.jpg

Got it all finished up and running.
fb_img_1437268556491-1-jpg.273922.jpg

And then... THIS happened and I knew enough was enough, time to find a new shell before somethings really bad happened.
fb_img_1437269983473-1-jpg.273925.jpg

And here is where the Talon story takes over.

SO I got real lucky and found a 95' Talon ESi with 2Gb eclipse bumpers only an hour away from me for $200
Thanks to a early bday present from my dad, we went and picked it up.
First thing I did was look over every inch of the body for ANY signs of rust, and besides a few spots of surface rust under the hood, its a clean shell.
Well besides the paint.. and that decal on the sides. But hey a paint job is a lot easier to deal with then huge rust problems.
talonpickup-1-jpg.273910.jpg

Parked it where it would sit for almost 2 months while life kept sadly me from getting the project up and running.
talonbackside-1-jpg.273912.jpg

talonfront-2-jpg.273911.jpg

However got a few things done during this time, swapped the 2Gb front onto the Rustbucket and ran it like that while I was forced to drive it.
Traded some extra parts I had between the two cars for some new(er) headlights.
(new on top)
fb_img_1437270206404-1-jpg.273917.jpg

And then painted the stock alloys black, cos the dirty OEM just wasn't doing it for me.
fb_img_1437270184911-1-jpg.273918.jpg

Well FINALLY got all my cards together and started to pull the motor this week out of the Rustbucket.
fb_img_1437270143391-1-jpg.273921.jpg

When I first got the Talon home, I didn't even think of needing to have it turned the other way around for the motor swap, so yesterday with help from my dad's truck again we turned it around, and got it lined up for the motor to go in.
img_20150718_133731-2-jpg.273909.jpg

Before anyone says anything, YES I know the engine hoist is on wheels.
But 500lbs of weight tends to make moving it around on gravel next to impossible, so we found it easier to move the shells than the hoist.
Sadly no sooner did we get the Talon to this point, it started to pour rain, so we called it a day.
(working third) when I get off in the morning I will get the motor hoisted up, and we will get the shell rolled up and the motor mounted up and I can finally begin to get the Talon resurrected.

While the Talon has been sitting, got a few things done in prep for the motor swap.
Found the missing hatch panels
fb_img_1437270293691-1-jpg.273916.jpg

(Hatch area has been used as a temporary storage area up to this point)
Cleaned up the engine bay a little
photogrid_1437268403964-1-jpg.273914.jpg

And relocated the ECU to under the fender, I know its not a full tuck(Fusebox is still visible), but it looks better than the stock set up.
I plan on making some raised brackets using the stock mounting holes to secure the fusebox so it doesn't bounce around.
*before picture is of the eclipse*
fb_img_1437270163490-1-jpg.273919.jpg

Once the motor is mounted in the bay, I will rerun the engine bay wiring into my own harnesses and tuck/hide as much of it as I can.

And thus here we are at this present time.
I will post updates as I make progress with the Talon.
Once its running again, the first area I will deal with is the exterior.
Those decals are going, along with the bad tint, broken door handles, and a few other cosmetic issues.
I will be using the 2Gb front set up, and the 2Ga rear bumper on the Talon, I know for some reason seems like no one likes the 2Ga rear bumper, but I do, so yeah.

Further into the year upgrades I plan will start with suspension, mainly in upgrading to urethane bushings, along with urethane motor mount inserts.
Switching to 3G rear upper control arms.
Then find some of the stock 16" 5 spoke rims(GST?).
Interior wise I have a Corbeau seat for the driver(gotta make brackets), while I'll be keeping the passenger seat OEM as I have some.. larger friends whose bottoms don't really like racing style seats.
I would like to find a leather 3G rear seat though.

Hope this thread isn't too large, thought one giant post would be easier to go over than a bunch of smaller posts.
And maybe someone enjoyed reading it.

Well managed to get the motor bolted into the Talon today, and that was all I had time for.
Sadly probably wont be able to work any on it tomorrow due to work, but Tuesday-Friday evening I'm off and will be hopefully getting it on the road.
Here are some OH so exciting photos from today.
fb_img_1437355237889-1-jpg.274043.jpg

fb_img_1437355245830-1-jpg.274044.jpg

fb_img_1437355249741-1-jpg.274045.jpg

Tuesday going to spend the day breaking down the engine harness and making my own so I can run the wires out of sight where possible.

Well the Talon is running, has a bad misfire underload, but it is running at last.
Didn't take a whole bunch of pictures of wiring it up, and getting it all bolted in, but did wanna show the condition of the old throttle body.
yuckytb_zpsl58llndw.jpg

Yummy.
Only issue I had while getting it all back together was finding out one of the heater core hoses was bad.. so had to pull intake manifold off again and replace the hose.
Then the Cruise Control throttle cable kept getting stuck at whatever position the TB opened at, so swapped the non-Cruise Control cable over from the Eclipse till I can replace the CC cable.

But its running under its own power, and now to start the slow process of swapping over bumpers, interior, etc from the old shell before scrapping it out and getting the Talon cleaned up.
talon2_zpsgnwbzwug.jpg

CAM01254_zpswh7qm082.jpg
CAM01271_zps7usgjcbu.jpg

it does have a intake/filter, just wasn't on in this picture.

Well the biggest accomplishment was solving the misfire issue.
Seems it was a combination of bad/stale gas and spark plugs.
Not sure if it was just because they were worn a little, or because they were Autolite, and not NGK.
But the misfire is gone and runs like a champ now.
I should of changed them earlier, but I figured since they worked fine in the old Eclipse shell they must still be okay.
My theory is they worked fine in the Eclipse because it had fresh gas in it, as it was driven all the time and had new gas in it every other week.
But they were worn(could be brand) just enough that they couldn't ignite the stale gas and burn it efficiently.

Also got a lot of small things taken care of this week, mostly in swapping the good parts off the old shell so I can get it scrapped out.
Interior is 90% complete, just need a few small odds and ends, mainly a drivers door panel and master window switch.

Also got the 2Ga rear bumper swapped over, and the 2Gb front bumper put back on.
Going to get the down pipe welded to the rest of the exhaust hopefully in the next 2 weeks when I get paid again.
Then picking up a Speed Sensor, front o2, Knock sensor, right bumper light and two front seats from a fellow DSMer in Charlotte.
Also meet up with another DSMer to trade some parts off of the junkcar for a set of side skirts.

Now I can move onto the fun stuff, stiffening the suspension, strut bars, urethane motor mount inserts, brass shifter linkage bushings and tackling the exterior paint and door handles.
Was so excited that the misfire was gone, I grabbed a few pics before work.
IMG_20150802_200121_zpsdgfujoju.jpg

IMG_20150802_195946_zpsprkboh7r.jpg

IMG_20150802_195600_zpsexrpuoq8.jpg

Also going to be picking up a set of 17" 3G rims in the next few weeks, get them painted and tires put on and that'll be a huge improvement over the 14" she has now.

Should of kept up with regular updates, but I didn't so this is gonna be a big update.
I'll try to put these updates in order, but they may not be.

Shortly after taking the previous photos(like the next morning) I discovered a bad oil leak from behind the block.
Turned out to be the oil pressure switch.
So I replaced that, along with the knock sensor and replaced the CPS gasket and all 8 valve cover bolt seals.
CAM01427_zpsueuqs7wb.jpg

CAM01429_zpsqoz6plo2.jpg

Tight fit for a big guy like me for sure.
But got it all replaced, along with the speed sensor, which turns out wasn't the issue. Guess I'll be taking that apart and see why the speed sensor isn't reading.
Also got a low mileage coilpack(OEM) to replace the unnamed coilpack that was giving me issues.
Also replaced at this time(not shown) is the rear wiper switch, and a washer fluid cap.

Next small project was swapping the sunroof assembly from the Eclipse into the Talon.
Took all of about an hour, much easier job then I expected.
Old one out.
CAM01441_zps85gc2vqv.jpg

Eclipse assembly ready to go into the Talon...
CAM01443_zps9jwrnkw7.jpg

And finally a working sunroof again.
CAM01446_zpsve82qm8o.jpg

Thanks to a local DSM-er on a 420a Facebook page I went and picked up several goodies
CAM01499_zpsbabspecg.jpg

Including;
-Complete(ebay) header to muffler(Spec-D) with a test pipe in place of the cat
-Left radiator fan
-Center Console cup holder/ash tray parts
-Rear wiper motor(turns out the wiper arm needs replacing as well)
-Needed a TPS, walked away with an entire low mileage intake manifold - gonna clean it up, paint it and swap it over
CAM01507_zpsly3kcmc3.jpg

CAM01517_zps9bagesfm.jpg

The exhaust, which I hoped to be a bolt on affair, is turning out to be a head ache as the previous owner had a universal muffler welded on and looks like completely removed the stock hangers.
As well as cut the bushings for the cat rubber hangers off, luckily I had these on the eclipse still.
Hopefully the cat back piping up to the muffler will still be stock and all I'll have to get welded on is the muffler.

After this I started getting the last few interior parts pulled out of the eclipse for the Talon, carpet and dash along with a few interior panels I swapped over.
After pulling carpet out I found this in the junk car(eclipse)
IMG_20150826_213055_zpscrqjidhe.jpg

This pile of rust just gets worse every time I take something off -_- so glad I got a new shell.
The carpet isn't perfect, but SO much nicer than the ripped, moldy and smelly carpet that was in the Talon.
CAM01480_zpslrgeqbmn.jpg

Compared to what came out.
20150902_134610_HDR_zps4frn6fgu.jpg

20150902_145712_HDR_zps6ltkygbc.jpg

Another small fix at this time was fixing the front seat belts so the bucklers weren't twisted around on the belts(not shown).
Finally got around to replacing the factory tape deck with my aftermarket headunit, and decided to add a little "rice" by painting the radio and hvac bezels body color.
20150903_113141_HDR_zpsntr1tqlo.jpg

20150903_113428_HDR_zpsujdrp0xf.jpg

Next big project was to paint the black front bumper.
I sanded it down, primered it and then sanded again and painted it.
its not a perfect color match, but its VERY close.
Probably gonna end up re-painting the entire car this color once I deal with those decals.
20150830_170634_zpsg9uycyuj.jpg

20150830_172631_HDR_zps8dfjdznp.jpg

20150901_154418-1_zps5u1qtzeu.jpg

Its slowly starting to come together at last.
Decided to use the doors off the Eclipse, while I'll be trading power for manual windows(personally I prefer manual) it will solve several issues;
-Door handles arent broken
-no decal to deal with
-speakers aren't blown
-Windows are tinted
-Weather stripping around windows aren't cracked and broken

Once I get the doors swapped over, going Friday to trade the talon doors for these;
received_957286150979567_zps95ryjkac.jpe

So there we are, or here I am LOL
Hopefully this week I'll get the dash swapped over and I can finally junk that parts car so I can have my drive way back.

Last edited:
Haven't gotten as much done as I wanted these last few weeks, due to family and life and stuff.
But I have picked up the GS rims, test fitted them and love them.
Still driving on the RS's till I can get two new tires put on.

Only other thing I've accomplished is finally got the chrome door trim painted black.
20150917_191528_zpswqdjuzro_edit_1442708144800_zps5hgeqbzm.jpg

20150917_191518_zps8ptxfhby.jpg

Next week I'll be swapping doors, so no more missing handles and no more decals.
So all I have to deal with decal wise, is on

Before and after trim was painted.
PhotoGrid_1442532140477_zps2ezxukfp.jpg

Well managed to get a few things done finally.
Exhaust is now completely hooked up and sounds pretty good.
I need to take some video of the exhaust and put it up.
But here is the muffler... needs a little adjustment.
Screenshot_2015-10-26-17-31-49-1_zpslww4rd9u.png

Obviously the GS-T rims are finally on for good.
Also got the RS doors swapped over, only stupid decal left is on the rear quarter panels.
20151026_172334_zpsntup9hxu.jpg

Also picked up a set of new headlights for an old phone.
Screenshot_2015-10-31-00-42-09-1_zpsnjyzfwyg.png

Finally replaced the nasty make shift intake the previous owner cobbled together with a proper CAI.
20151026_172550_zpsymmhwyzb.jpg

Going to give a few parts on the motor some fresh black paint in the next few weeks, mainly the thermostat housing and heater core hardlines and intake manifold while I have tem removed to replace heater core(and hoses) and thermostat.

Also on the way are brass solid shifter cable bushings and front/rear urethane transmission inserts.

hopefully in the next week or two I'll be picking up a new heater core, dash and some leather seats!

Keep up the good work. Almost makes me take back my esi from my little brother and restore it.
Thanks!

It's come a long way, and still Has a ways to go but it's slowly getting there.

Not mentioned before is I gotta get a new battery for the wife's Subaru as she's using my mini battery as this one won't hold a charge but I can roll my car off where her automatic won't roll off.

Once I get my battery back the intake won't be so crammed in there.

Well these arrived while I was at work tonight.
Can't wait to install them tomorrow.
20151104_001307_zpsyd6jaebx.jpg

Solid brass shifter cable bushings.

Also swapped to my blacked out factory tails, and finally re-wired the tail light harnesses so they work properly with the eclipse tails(it's a Talon shell).
So now the inner two bulbs function as running lights and brake lights, while the outer bulb is strictly a turn signal.

I tried using the harness from the eclipse tail lights but when I turned on the blinkers, the dash lights blinked too. So I spliced over the proper bulb connectors and not only do they work right but I can use the tail light interior cover pieces again. Woot.

Tomorrow hopefully my Energy transmission inserts will be here.

Also had an issue with the cold air intake knocking against the frame and making an awful racket. And didn't wanna take a chance of hydro locking the motor as the road coming up to our trailer floods at the slightest amount of rain, I trimmed the intake so it sits where the ecu used to be.
20151103_150438_HDR_zpszpzxpfza.jpg

Gonna attempt to get the heater core hardlines and the thermostat housing painted black again and try and deal with some of that excess wiring sticking out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:
Not a whole lot was accomplished this week sadly, did get the brass shifter bushings installed though.
IMG_20151107_141352_zpsydhz1hvq.jpg

While obviously they didn't improve how fast the shifting happens, it's a lot smoother shifting and especially shifting quicker each gear is much easier to locate and doesn't feel "sloppy" in neutral.

Keep up the good work! The fact you're taking your time to do everything right will reward you in the end, because you're developing that into a habit. Once you get a GSX or GST, this habit will really reward you with a long running, reliable, quick car. :)

Well got a few small projects done today.

Added 5mm spacers to the rear wheels, fronts never bothered me but the gears are just too far sunk in for my tastes.
And once the Talon is lowered it'll really make a difference.
IMG_20151111_173412_zpskbewn8ej.jpg

Painted the panel between the tail lights, seen it done a few times and loved the look.
IMG_20151111_173144_zpsvfxlvxyo.jpg

While not a huge improvement, painted the thermostat housing and heater core hardlines.
IMG_20151111_173255_zpsmd236ljn.jpg

Now if I could just replace that battery... Such an eye sore.

Thanks man, it's hard on a budget LOL but it's getting there.

Saving up for a prothane suspension complete car kit as I've found multiple bushings have degraded bad.

Well Junkyard run today was a failure sadly.
Only 2G they had was stripped bare.

But did grab a 3G sunvisor to test fit it.
Love it, much larger.
will grab the passenger side Next time.

20151112_161750_zpss33elkn8.jpg

Well where do I begin...(Not in any particular order)

Finally got the drivers door from the old RS swapped over, so both doors have handles, tinted windows and no more ricey decal.
Also got the rear bumper painted at long last.
Got the decals on the quarter panels dealt with... for now. will be completely removed next summer when the whole car gets repainted.
Gotta get the muffler brackets welded on one of these days so it'll sit straight.
7F7D5A97-AD79-47DC-B352-065D58FD46FE_zps5jkjglv3.jpg

C30E98BD-6831-46DB-A38E-4C7739B0B713_zpsxmus9b0f.jpg

F13DC463-83FF-41CC-B5EC-C3340816145B_zpsiupgk2me.jpg

466F1FB7-BE61-4752-ACD4-2BF24AEE29B0_zpstlm8fwk6.jpg

Still gotta swap over the mirror obviously...

Heater core died a few months ago, never was an issue until the sudden cold weather we had.
So replaced it.
Managed to break the plastic radio bracket when pulling the Talon's dash, but was able to clean up the eclipse dash I saved(forgot I did).
Even looked better in the end.
4AA72871-AE95-47D9-8917-44CFE7BF1D56.png

98B243BF-E019-419C-BC95-FDE388CED815.png

Ernest says it best about the old core.

While I had the intake manifold and related parts removed to access the core lines, intake/valve cover/few other parts were painted black.
front/rear urethane bushings were installed along with EGR delete plates.
00AA6618-0F53-417D-A2C1-8A92B96CC221_zpsmlps3tkt.jpg

BBAB1198-9284-4D3B-AA39-C512A148D725.png

AB5A5C38-28B6-4525-B6D9-9AAC8105424B.png

E4FEE700-FF02-42E7-8A5F-6A33B7F79029.png

More recently the water pump decided it didn't wanna push water anymore...
Also removed the rest of the EVAP system.
So i replaced it along with the timing belt.
And the old belt was a lot worse than I thought it was.
72F3899B-5913-4721-8BB5-FF80DC0C8B79_zps9c6gpdvo.jpg

And the pump.
88F6A153-C5F9-4019-93FB-9155D629CDBB_zpsybsoltp7.jpg

And since I had the power steering pump/bracket and motor mount/bracket off... they got painted as well.
28403C58-CA0F-4E35-82D2-2EFA6B6DD3F3_zpst9jo2q6w.jpg

I need to clean/replace the motor mount nuts/bolt.

Only real "project" left to do this winter is replace the rear upper knuckle bushing, well upgrade it as well with urethane.

Other than that, this will probably be the last update till spring time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back