The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

95 gsx drive train supporting mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randizzle420

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 20, 2009
El Centro, California
I'm aiming for 600 hp. My 95 gsx manual I'm wondering aside from the engine, clutch, and transmission (already built) what else am I gonna need to do to the drivetrain? I plan on getting the rear differential rebuilt. Should I do the transfer case too? What is this I hear there is 3 differentials on the car? A center and a front as well? Are they much smaller or something? I thought the transmission itself powers the front wheels without a differential then ends power through the rear through the transfer case through the drive shaft to the rear differential

Center and front differentials are inside the transmission. All transverse transmissions will at least have to have a front differential.
When you say items are "built" what does that mean? If the car is full weight stuff likes to break.

I'm aiming for 600 hp. My 95 gsx manual I'm wondering aside from the engine, clutch, and transmission (already built) what else am I gonna need to do to the drivetrain? I plan on getting the rear differential rebuilt. Should I do the transfer case too? What is this I hear there is 3 differentials on the car? A center and a front as well? Are they much smaller or something? I thought the transmission itself powers the front wheels without a differential then ends power through the rear through the transfer case through the drive shaft to the rear differential
BTW you can't power the front wheels without a differential. How would you steer the car?

Noting your other posts you have a long way to go. All the weak links in these cars are well documented. If you expect reliable 600hp you will have to touch every system on the car. Unless you're very familiar with all systems I would suggest driving the cat some first. Once yiu learn the car, conduct some maintenance then you can decide what you want.
For reference have you driven a 600hp car? If you haven't you should do so before deciding on that number. Take it slow.
If you happen to have buckets of money then by all means jump in. I have just seen way too many projects fail because they didn't really know what they were getting into or worse had no plan.
This is NOT meant to discourage you but 30 years has taught me to take one step at a time. The only people I've seen jump in and get it all done quickly are the ones that have already done it and are going around for their second...or third time etc.

Center and front differentials are inside the transmission. All transverse transmissions will at least have to have a front differential.
When you say items are "built" what does that mean? If the car is full weight stuff likes to break.
Oh okay. I thought so. The previous owner said he built the engine to handle 600 hp and rebuilt the transmission with a stage 2 kit, and has an act 2600 clutch.
BTW you can't power the front wheels without a differential. How would you steer the car?

Noting your other posts you have a long way to go. All the weak links in these cars are well documented. If you expect reliable 600hp you will have to touch every system on the car. Unless you're very familiar with all systems I would suggest driving the cat some first. Once yiu learn the car, conduct some maintenance then you can decide what you want.
For reference have you driven a 600hp car? If you haven't you should do so before deciding on that number. Take it slow.
If you happen to have buckets of money then by all means jump in. I have just seen way too many projects fail because they didn't really know what they were getting into or worse had no plan.
This is NOT meant to discourage you but 30 years has taught me to take one step at a time. The only people I've seen jump in and get it all done quickly are the ones that have already done it and are going around for their second...or third time etc.
I do have money and been in a p85dl with 762 hp. Planned on dropping around 20k into the car

So trans is almost certainly using stock gears. Keep it under 450FTQ they live decent with larger turbos that don't make peak tq early on. I have broken stock trans before, my latest one is going on 2 years at well north of 500whp. Key i learned was keeping the TQ down and making the power on the big end.

"stage2" will need to be defined. If you can't then expect the trans is stock and treat it as such.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back