The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 95 gsx auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IcyDragon7

Probationary Member
Sep 30, 2022
Hesperia/Azusa, California
Hey guys, Chris here.

I bought a 95 gsx automatic about 5yrs ago on ebay, from an auction site that is close to my childhood home. Won it @ ~$750 with the listing of engine issues. Hoped it was the infamous "crankwalk" issue. My dad picked it up for me. Asked what the hell did I buy, because when he loaded it on the trailer, he said it knocked like a mother. I was even more sure that I was right.

So he rebuilt it for me, put a brand new crank and bearings, got it running, put seafoam in it. Told me to hit it hard to burn out the foam. I got on the freeway on ramp, hit it. The acceleration froze, I backed off, hit it again and Boom!! It was not good. When he rebuilt it, he forgot to check the oil pumps integrity. It froze, so we can all assume what the belt did, and then what the cams did to the valves.

He re built it a second time. And now it won't accelerate to dump boost or shift. So I am here hoping to get insight on how to get her running right, and possibly, mod her to get the great HP gain with basically the bolt-on and avoiding constant tune-ups to keep her running right.

She is held up in Azusa CA. Waiting to run.
I live in Hesperia CA.

Thanks for the chance to be a part of the DSM community. Looking forward to talking with you all.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil pump is the most important part of an engine build. I have never used one a second time, although there are plenty of people that do. I build motors, so every build gets a new pump, always. I use ACL's front case/pumps on 4g motors and they have been very good to me. If the OEM's weren't sky high, I would rather use them, but I don't care if the pumps have helical or straight gears, like others are particular about, just as long as it is new. I keep the old pumps but would have to be in a super pinch to re-use one. They don't necessarily wear out, but if any debris goes through one, I pitch it and don't think twice. Just my opinion on rebuilds.
Welcome to the forum, as I see you just joined up at the end of last month! You won't find more information about DSM's anywhere else on the internet, so wise choice and we are lucky to have another member!
Have you filled out a vehicle profile yet? It is very helpful for us to be more helpful to you. Glad to have you!
Marty

The oil pump is the most important part of an engine build. I have never used one a second time, although there are plenty of people that do. I build motors, so every build gets a new pump, always. I use ACL's front case/pumps on 4g motors and they have been very good to me. If the OEM's weren't sky high, I would rather use them, but I don't care if the pumps have helical or straight gears, like others are particular about, just as long as it is new. I keep the old pumps but would have to be in a super pinch to re-use one. They don't necessarily wear out, but if any debris goes through one, I pitch it and don't think twice. Just my opinion on rebuilds.
Welcome to the forum, as I see you just joined up at the end of last month! You won't find more information about DSM's anywhere else on the internet, so wise choice and we are lucky to have another member!
Have you filled out a vehicle profile yet? It is very helpful for us to be more helpful to you. Glad to have you!
Marty
Thanks Marty,
Ill put up some pics soon. I get off work at 4p.m. I work for LADWP. So downtown L.A. It takes a while to get home. And just about dusk. So if I can get a few daylight pics I will put em up.
And yeah, the oil pump. My Dad was really mad at himself for that.

Is there a way to convert the 4g into a non interference?

Can't wait to see the different opinions on the build suggestions.
I would like to point out a reference point on my character content, for possible future arguments, miss understandings or what not. I ask questions... A lot! Not for any other reason, but to help myself understand logical sense of things. So, if advice which may be given, and I am still questioning such, I am not being ungrateful. I am trying to be well informed to better configure a potential setup I may want to try.

Since I could assume, there are multiple, multiple, Multiple possible configurations possible.

So thanks again for having me.

And sorry in advance for my seemingly, but not intentional act of disrespect.

Chris

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back