The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Akujiki

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is where the project began. Bought the car from the second owner. The car had been driven a few times in the last 3 years. Never seen salt or winter.
20200713_121335.jpg

The car spent a lot of time In small but actively used garage and the body shows it. Little dents litter the doors and rear fenders. Despite the the dents the clear coat is in really good shape. These cars at this point in there life tend to have major clear coat issues. Body work will happen to fully restore to a factory look.

The first order of business was the basic maintenance. Engine oil, transmission fluid and brakes where replaced to get the car in good running order.

I wanted to restore the suspension. The car came with Tein coilovers and the ride felt good but you could tell the old rubber bushings were wore out. Noisy and loose. Bought a Prothane bushing kit and was surprised at the amount of time it took to replace everything. Mainly getting the old bushings out becasue the lack of a press.
20200831_130547.jpg

After a half a year and getting my own house and garage to work out of I decided to pull the engine.
20210717_154758.jpg

Unfortunately with my budget I couldn't do a full rebuild. I ended up doing a refresh. Replaced the timing belt, pulleys and tensioner. Did the water pump, front and rear main seals, oil pan gasket, head gasket and valve cover gasket. Did both crank and cam sensors. Also did some ARP head studs and 3g lifters becasue the old ones were ticking terribly.
27 years of oil leaks and neglect.
20210721_184256.jpg

After cleaning and new parts.
20210731_184904.jpg

20210727_185754.jpg

Cleaned up all the carbon from the top of the cylinders and head.
20210725_135818.jpg

The valves need lapping and the valve seals are starting to show signs of possible leaks. Planning to pull the head over the winter to port, polish and possibly do new valve springs, seats and retainers.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back