The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

95 EPROM ECU in a 97 gsx. Won't start problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rajasai420

Probationary Member
Aug 23, 2007
Millbrae(Bay Area), California
I bought a 95 eprom ecu on ebay then plugged it up to my car and it didn't start. I cranked it for like 30 seconds. I then took my stock 97 ECU then plugged it back up and it started right up. Shouldn't this be plug and play? I think I bought a broken ECU. Can someone help me confirm this. Did I do something wrong? The connections only go in one way.

You need to swap spark plug wires, #1 with #2 and #4 with #3. This alone should get the car started and run decent but it won't be perfect because you will also have to swap injector wires at the ECU harness. The issue here is that the 95'-96' CAS signal is inverted when compared to 1G or 97'+.

Did you swap the spark plug wires? Try swapping plug wire 1 with 2 and 3 with 4.
"For the 2G guys, the '95-'96 style Cam Angle Sensor (CAS) sends out a signal that's electrically "inverted" from other DSM cam sensors (1G or '97+ style). When you put a '95 ECU into a car with a non-95 CAS, the ECU ends up swapping the firing order of the injectors." - DSMlink.com

Grrrr...I need to post faster.

Rajasai420, are you getting DSMlink later? Just wondering why you're swapping out your '97 ECU for the '95 ECU. Both DSMlink and DSM chip has a feature called CAS Inversion. The CAS Inversion fixes the injector issue, so you don't need to swap injector wires at the ECU harness but you still need to swap plug wires.

Rajasai420, are you getting DSMlink later? Just wondering why you're swapping out your '97 ECU for the '95 ECU. Both DSMlink and DSM chip has a feature called CAS Inversion. The CAS Inversion fixes the injector issue, so you don't need to swap injector wires at the ECU harness but you still need to swap plug wires.

Of course I am. I am getting dsmlink,880cc pte injectors, FP3052,TIAL 44mm WG, FP intake, FP 2.5 o2 housing with dump tube, megan 3" downpipe, FFTEC FMIC with with piping, porting my stock 2g manifold, and Shaun from FFTEC is gonna tune it for me. All for the low low price of about 4 GRANDI can't sleep at night waiting for the parts to arrrive, it's gonna be a friggin monster. I cant believe how much I've spent. Speed ain't cheap.

Oh yea and thanks for the quick ass reply guys. I did what you said and it worked like a charm. I was about to give the person I bought the ecu off of a negative feedback and was going to return the ECU as defective, but you guys helped me from looking like a dumbass. Thanks.

One last problem I think you guys could help me with: Is it normal for the car to stumble and not idle cleanly when you put a 95 EPROM ECU in a 97 GSX(even stall a little)? I switched the plug wires around like you said but i don't have the CAS inversion yet(no DSMLINK yet). The car starts and drives pretty much like normal. Basically I just want to know if the ECU is at %100 and if there is anyway I can find out? THANKS AGAIN.

It's normal because your injectors are firing at the wrong time so some fuel is probably collecting behind the closed intake valve minimizing optimal atomization. Once you get the inverted cas set via DSMLink, things should clear up. In the meantime, swapping injector wires via ECU harness takes about 10 mins, no cutting required, just pull the little clips out with a small flat screw driver (ones you use for fixing glasses).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back