The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 95 eclipse alternator not charging battery need help asap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mc330

Probationary Member
Oct 22, 2017
Youngstown, Ohio
I got a 95 eclipse gs N/T replaced the alternator thinking it was that but still wasn’t charging battery took the old alternator up to auto zone and it read fine checked the fuse it was good and the alternator to battery wire was good I don’t know what to do could it be the voltage regulator if so where is it located? Or a short somewhere and how do I check it

did you test the alternator fuse yet? looking at it is not good enough to cross it off the list use a multimeter, also inspect the + charge wire make sure it is not corroded and as mentioned above do the same for the - ground wire, also inspect the wires on the alternator connector maybe one of them is burned out so the alternator is not being triggered when the car is in the on position. these diagrams might help you.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I made sure I tightened the ground real good and checked the atl. Fuse with a multimeter and it was good

My mechanic said he checked every wire and the only thing it could be is the voltage regulator but idk where it’s located

Just checked the wire coming from atl to fuse again and wasn’t putting barely anything out

Checked that too only thing left is the ecu where the voltage regulator is

A lot of newer Chrysler cars had the regulator control built into the ecu, if this is the case, you can wire in an external voltage regulator, for a lot less then the cost of a brand new ecu, return the ecu from wherever you got it, and then get a voltage regulator and wire pigtail for it from a 1985 dodge d150 pickup and then wire it up, like in the video below, and you should be set. it makes a lot of sense to do it this way because buying another ecu every-time this happens can drain your wallet LOL.

I wired this setup into my Mirage back when I was running the 4G15 motor and wanted to use a larger amp alternator that had no internal regulator, and I had no issues with it.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back