The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 95 eagle tsi, no spark on pistons 2&3 (please help)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Dans dsm

Probationary Member
Feb 23, 2019
Olathe, Kansas
So I bought my 95 eagle talon tsi fwd not running back in November and have been working on it since, so far I’ve replaced the camshaft positioning sensor, ignition coils, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and ignition coil power module (power transistor). My issue is that I don’t have spark on coils 2&3.. I have power to 1&4 however, and I’ve swapped the coil pack as well and same issue so I know it isn’t the coil pack, But I did notice something weird, I have power to coils 1&4 but the plug has no power? I’ve checked the wires all the way back to the ECM and they’re all good, I was thinking maybe crankshaft angle sensor? But I still have power to fuel pump, injectors, just no spark to two cylinders. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alright I certainly will check that out after I get off work. Thanks for the quick response

There is fuel injector pulse on all 4, the crank sensor and ac plug are not swapped either.

Yes I know for certain it’s not the spark plugs. Again one coil pack is working, so two spark plugs are sparking, and I’ve swapped them from 1&4 to 2&3 and back and fourth a lot and nothing. The wiring harness that plugs into the coil pack isn’t getting power though. That’s why I was thinking crank sensor because there’s no power to the wires, but I have injector pulse, and maybe the camshaft sensor is working correctly and that’s why one coil pack has power?

Just to go back through your wiring- the black/white wire on the body side of the coil pack has 12v Key ON, engine off- correct? I'd assume so since 1/4 are firing. If it does, pull the coil pack out of the intake, with it still plugged in, BOTH coil packs have 12v again KOEO at the coil packs themselves on the red wire correct? If so, do you have an LED based test light? A normal incandescent bulb test light wont work. If you do have an LED, put your ground strap to 12v battery positive on the battery post, probe the blue or blue/black stripe wire on the 2/3 coilpack while someone is CRANKING the car. Does the test light flash?

I had the same exact issue that you are having when I bought my current DSM (99gsx). I went through and checked continuity, replaced/swapped coil packs, replaced plugs, plug wires, cas. It ended up being the ECM. Do you have another one available to swap and try?

If you have spark on 1-4 or 2-3 its not power to the coil pack or the coil pack in this case, its an ecu issue or a broken wire.

Alright thanks for the feedback and the coil pack that is firing is 1&4 I don’t have an ecm to swap it out with however, I’ll probably try out the crank sensor, and check all the wires again before I replace the ecm

This would be significantly easier to diagnose if you actually diagnose it rather than throw parts at it. The crank sensor isnt going to fix it, and testing at the coil is a simple procedure. It's a lot cheaper to spend an hour figuring out what is wrong than to throw parts.

You’re completely right, I’ve been testing it and I’m pretty positive it isn’t the wires, I’m still going to check the crank sensors wires and make sure I’m getting signal through them, and if I had someone with a spare ecm wouldn’t I have to get it flashed to my car to test it?

You’re completely right, I’ve been testing it and I’m pretty positive it isn’t the wires, I’m still going to check the crank sensors wires and make sure I’m getting signal through them, and if I had someone with a spare ecm wouldn’t I have to get it flashed to my car to test it?

As long as it is a ECU out of a 95 96 or a 97 you would be fine. The 98 and 99 (blackbox) ECU's are different. I believe the CAS/firing order is different and would require you to swap plug wires around.

Alright and I’m new to all of this kinda stuff so you know and this is going to be a dumb question but is there a difference in the ecm and the ecu? And so if it’s from the same year it doesn’t need to be flashed?

So here’s an update, since I’m not the smartest individual.. I actually had looked up a YouTube video on the ecu location and the guy in the video said it was behind the shifter, underneath the center console, turns out I had actually been messing with the airbag control module. Realized that after looking up some part numbers, after I found the actual ecm I checked the wires for continuity and all of them are fine, however my ecm board has ALOT of corrosion. I found someone with a spare ecm to let me test and I’m really hoping that it fixes my issue.

If it’s a 95-96 and mine has an E on it not sure what that means I’ve heard that means it’s tunable?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back