The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 95 Avenger 2.0 DOHC bolt on performance parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan95avenger

Probationary Member
Jan 6, 2023
Kila, Montana
hey so I'm picking up a 95 avenger soon with the 2.0 dohc and I will be converting it to a manual transmission. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they have used or suggest what are some good bolt on power mods. I'm not wanting to make a race car just want it a little quicker so you can feel some more power. somewhere around 175hp maybe I would like closer to 200hp but from what I've been reading that it's either too expensive or better off to go with a turbo.

150whp is the best you could get on a stock fuel system (100% injector DC).Which isn't terrible since depending if you're auto or manual it should make around 110-115whp stock. That's what an Eclipse N/T makes anyway and they have the exact same drive train and very similar body. With 350cc injectors and a 255lph fuel pump your max would be around 225whp, but you'll never get enough airflow to reach that without some serious work or boost. You need to decide your modification budget and go from there. If you're not looking to spend thousands then just get an exhaust and intake and be done with it. You won't gain much but it will sound better and be more responsive. You'll need to check if any exhaust components are readily available though. The header might be the same as an Eclipse but the rear sections are different. If your pockets are heavy then you can go pretty far with it: get a tuning solution (MegaSquirt), raise compression ratio, get nice cams and a nice valve train, underdrive pulley, p&p work, do the fuel system as I mentioned... It's still possible to achieve 180whp NA with the aftermarket parts we have available. And over 300whp turbocharged if built & tuned correctly. Anything further than that for an NA build and you're looking at modifying the intake manifold or getting one custom made. Perhaps even a reverse velocity stacks type of deal. But at this point most people would just rather install a turbo and reach the power for less work.

So, decide if you want a turbo or to stay NA, and decide how much you would like to spend on it. Then we can help you a bit better. Asking for performance mods is a bit vague since there's so many different things you could do to it. Just limited by your budget and preferences.

CI motorsports is a good place to buy parts. Search 420a on there website. Get the Stage 3 Cams if your going NA.
Stage 3s aren’t really advised for stock compression, and definitely not advised without a way to control fuel and the rev limiter. That are totally wasted when the stock ECU is in place.

I wonder if you'd get more power by going to a 2.4L out of the later model Neons/Calibers. Are they the same bolt pattern?

I have zero clue about the 420a world so I'm just spitballing. I feel like you should be able to get more power out of going with a bigger displacement later model year engine from a similar dodge platform. The 2.4L out of the 2008+ Avengers makes in the 200's for hp N/A.

The early model 2.4's (same gen as 420a) can be used with some slight modification. If I were going to do that I would keep the 2.0 head though. Most people don't do it because the 420a is a great engine for up to 9k rpm if built right but the 2.4 bottom end is mediocre at best. And at one time there were much more 420a specific performance parts available but no idea about these days.

The only use I personally had out of a 2.4 is the valve cover and lifters. There's plenty of threads on 2gnt.com to read about the 2.4 swap. Work/gains comparison isn't very impressive when you can just build the 420a to rev out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back