The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

95 Avenger 2.0 DOHC AWD Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan95avenger

Probationary Member
Jan 6, 2023
Kila, Montana
How difficult is it to do the awd conversion? I have read one place that there is a bunch of fabrication needed. But I also read that if you have a donor car that it's basically just bolt on except needing to lengthen the drive shafts.

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, and there have been many over the years. In short - not possible. The Avenger came with the 420A and there is no AWD transmission option for it on any platform. With a FWD 4G63 DSM, the conversion can be done, but that doesn’t apply to you.

You'd have to swap the engine to the 4g63 as well as swapping to the AWD. It was done to a white avenger back years ago. It is far from bolt in even with a doner car

The 4g63 swap is far from a bolt in swap since the engine and trans are on opposite sides as opposed to the 420a. You will need a welder and have good fabrication skills. The 4g63 swap is harder than the AWD swap. Not all but a lot of the rear end/subframe assembly bolts into the avenger but the fuel tank requires modification as well as a custom driveshaft due to the wheelbase differences. There will be other things you run into that are different but those are the things I remember off the top of my head. Can't find the build thread. I think it was on cardomain.com but can't be 100% sure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back