The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 95' 2GNT ENGINE STALLING WHILE DRIVING.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanger95

Probationary Member
Jan 24, 2019
Vernon, New_Jersey
I have a 1995 GS 420a 5 speed and I'm having issues with the car stalling while driving. Its a intermitting problem and only last for a few seconds. I lose the both gauges (rpm & mph) when it stalls. The lights and radio will stay on. If I hold the clutch down and cycle the key off and back on it usually comes back on. There has been one time on the highway I was going fast enough the engine and gauges went out and I held the clutch long enough without cycling the key and it did eventually did come back on (about 5-10 seconds). I did change out the ECU for an internal lose connection prior.

Check the crank position sensor. Your description was the early stages of a friend's 98 GS CKP getting oil soaked once the car warmed up and shorting out. Once it got really bad, it took upwards of a few minutes to re-start. new sensor, problem gone.

One place you can try for free is goto an auto parts store and get your charging system tested !

I've had issue with bad battery connector wires causeing that can you wiggle them? They should not move ! Make sure they're tight ! My were so old they wouldn't clamp to the battery post

I'm going to give the crank sensor a try. I'll also check the battery terminals. Its just weird that I lose the gauges and engine stalls but the radio and lights stay on.

I've in stalled a new factory crank sensor and still the same stall issues. This is so aggravating. This car was reliable for long trips but not anymore. I think im going to get into the ignition switch area and change the switch out and see what happens. :banghead:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back