The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

94 TSi FWD axle problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onesick94tsi

Probationary Member
Apr 12, 2010
hellam, Pennsylvania
Ok, I have a 1994 TSi FWD 5-speed. The car has a 6-bolt swap with a stock 94 transmission. I go to autozone and advance auto, who list the same part number for all year 1g fwd cars. I tried one anyhow, and could spin the axles inside of the differential in the transmission without engaging a single spline. The spline count on my axle and the autozone axle were both 25 splines, however my axle is about 1/8" thicker than the axle I purchased. I've read some places that 94 have unique transmissions, and yet other places say that the 92-94 are the exact same. I'm lost here, nobody has an answer. Driveshaftshop.com lists all 1g fwd axles as the same. Raxles lists 1994 as unique to itself. HELP ME PLEASE!

1993 and 1994 have bigger diameter axles. Im almost positive that you got a set of 91-early 92 axles. The axles for the 1993-1994's are getting if not allready gotten very very hard to find. I know that I searched all over for a set of axels for my 1993 eclipse gs axles and had no luck so I had to go junk yarding to find them and even then they needed cleaning, re-greasing, and new boots.

Thanks for th advice. Does anybody know if all of the actual cv parts are the same? As in, can I take a set of 91 axles and swap the joints over to my 94 axles? This way it's easier for me to utilize my axle shafts yet still easy to find usable cv joints. I haven't torn any cv joints apart yet to see because I don't want to purchase new axles and rip them into pieces. Is this feesable or is it an unknown?

Last edited:
Seriously, nobody else on this entire forum has any kind of answer to this question? And I thought this was a good place to come for information. I guess I was wrong. Seems a thread identical to this back in 2006 never got an answer either.

There are connections on here. And if you do find out post it so the community can know.
One option would be to call or email the driveshaft shop. 1800 564 2244. I got some chromoly driveshafts from them.
I looked on their site (under construction) because I don't know about the different years with driveshafts. The non turbo tranny came out with a 25 spline.
Did you do the 6bolt swap yourself?
Can you get some measurements on the shaft diameter at the splines. Maybe more info will get the ball rolling. hate to have unanswered threads.

I called driveshaftshop.com. they list all the same size axles for all 1g fwd turbo cars. Raxles lists 94 as unique axles. Napa, Autozone and AdvancedAuto all list axles as the same part #.

just went through the same problem. litterally. the only solution that I found. was swapping trans to an earlier trans and getting the smaller axles.. worked for me.. not the greatest thing to hear but its what i was forced to do

you wont find axles. I searched everywhere. Could try and get a set of someones used 93-94 axles.but goodluck finding decent ones.

I kind of figured this would be my only solution. It's a really good thing I picked up a 91 FWD transmission a few months back, now this Saturday it's time to swap everything over. I'm going to have a useless 94 transmission now. Joy.

I THINK Raxles used to sell an upgrade axle set for these transmissions, i dont know if they still do or not.

My buddy had this problem and had to replace his drivers side axle, ended up having to sell a kidney and buying a new OEM one. Its almost worth selling your trans, finding a 91-92 trans and just getting a new pass side axle, and doing the AWD drivers side axle upgrade for how much the OEM one costs.

Actually, I've found the easiest solution to the whole problem, and still being able to retain the larger diameter axle input shaft for stronger axles. All you have to do is simply take a easy to find 91-style 25 spline axle shaft with a good outer, and swap the inner cups/input shafts. Then you have the good outer joint since all dsm's use the same outer splines, and then put the 27 spline inner cup on and voila, problem solved. I can not believe it took my good friend and Honda enthusiast to come up with this, even after posting this issue on every major forum I'm a member on. This is the simple solution to a age long issue, swap the inner cups!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back