The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 94' TSI Cricket Noise at low RPM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMAXRX

Probationary Member
Aug 23, 2012
Bloomington, Illinois
Hello everyone. I have been experiencing a noise in the car that I believe to be getting louder.

It sounds like a cricket chirp, as you would hear from a big field, and it follows me everywhere I go. The car is a 94' Talon TSI AWD. Pretty much stock. Has 126k miles, and was reported to have had the timing belt changed recently by the PO.

Based off my best guesses, the noise is coming from the drivers side of the engine, possibly from under the timing cover, the power steering pump, an accessory belt, or any number of things. I checked the FAQ on noises, and these entries stuck out to me:

"You hear a squealing or "thwap thwap" sound coming from down low on the drivers side of the engine. It may sound more like "thweak thweak" (I can't even type that without laughing). Check to see if your harmonic balancer is coming apart. The outer ring tends to separate from the inner rubber, and will cause all kinds of nasty things to happen if it comes loose at high RPMS. Note: This is one of those items that you want to go with an OEM replacement only. "New" parts store HB's can come apart in less than 1k miles...I know this firsthand."

Thweak Thweak sounds a lot like the noise I am hearing. However, it does not sound like it is coming from down low, it sounds like something higher up.

"You hear a squealing noise coming from the driver side of the engine bay, and you've already removed the accessory belts. If you have this noise even with the belts and front timing cover off (and your harmonic balancer is good), you've most likely got a worn out timing belt idler pulley or tensioner pulley. If this turns out to be the case, go ahead and replace the other timing components as well, since they probably aren't far behind."

When I bought the car, the P.O had just done the timing belt. (Receipts etc) As much as I would like to believe that this isn't the issue, I certainly wont discount it at this point. The PO did mention that the tensioner was not changed, but that he "thought it was okay."

Any thoughts? I may want to take it in, or have someone more experienced with these cars check it out. I am going to be making a 1,000 mile move in about three weeks, so I would like to have this sorted by then.

Thanks for the input.

Check the easy stuff first. Power steering, alternator, A/C. Removing belts is a good idea, failing that start to check stuff under the timing cover.

Thanks for the replies, I will get into it tomorrow and see if it is something easy. If I don't find anything, I will try and get a video showcasing the noise.

Went out today and looked at a few things. My AC Compressor belt was in really bad shape, the AC doesnt work at the moment, so I went ahead and removed it. The other two accessory belts appear to be in good condition and have appropriate tension.

I went ahead and removed the cam gear inspection cover and was rewarded with an immediate change in noise volume. I will link to the videos I took.

Also, I am not an expert on timing belts, so this should give an idea of the belt tension (maybe) to someone who is.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Video1:

Video2:

The final thing I noticed, is that the noise gets louder as the engine warms up.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Tbelt may also be rubbing a warped cover causing the noise. As far as the belt tension, I would line up the timing marks and inspect the hydraulic tensioner for leakage before something the belt jumps. GL

I had a noisy belt cover also. Went to a yard and pulled a good one and got rid of my noise. Belt looks very good, thus it was replaced and the tension is right with the finger pressure between the pulleys.

Good luck. - DSM

Nuzzi, the lifters are known to be fine. Not even sure what you are hearing.

I will hopefully nail this down sometime this week.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back