The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

94 talon vs 99 cobra

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRb247

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2003
Lemont_il
Ok a week from today im supose to race this kid in his 99 mustang cobra. now i know they can be fast and its mildy modified. I dont know that much about mustangs but my friend does. he said that the 99 cobra was the worst year they ever made. They had a big problem or somthin with it. But anyways, the kid talks a lot of shit abut talons and so i was like lets race. you can check out my mod list. I know it doesnt help if i dont really know wahts doen to his car. ALl i remebr them saying was ( a 4/10 rearend, upgraded pully, exhaust, headers intake and i think thats about it.) I jsut wanted to know your guys opinion beofer the race and if u had any tips jsut let me kno. Oh yea i forgot to mention. The kid is 16. thanks

I always thought the 95 was the junk year cobra :confused: I could be wrong too.

So the kid is 16...I'm guessing mommy and daddy bought him the car? Also being 16 i'm going to just go out on a limb here and guess he's going to light up his tires all through 1st, and probably some of 2nd, by which time you and your lovely AWD ass is already in 3rd gear eyeing down the 100mph mark which, by checking your mod list, should be coming up pretty damn quick. I have no idea how your car or his car pulls on the top end so i would just hope that you'd have enough power up there to stay in front while he plays catch-up.

I would really like to know how this turns out.

99 is the bad year...mechanically and performance wise. The gts actually had same or more hp than cobras that year, from some defect 0r something. Um 2000+ non supercharged cobras will be no contest svt new cobras will rape u mostly(although your set up is good fopr solid 12s) stock.but this stang will be no contest even with a good driver. It should be good for low 14 mabey with good driver. Good luck and have fun owning him(and if you dont give me your car cause u dont deserve to be racing).

Yea the funny thing is mommy and daddy di buy his car, at least thats what I heard. He keeps talkin all this smack how he is gana dust me and that his car is a low 12sec car. I was like so you took hit to the track he was jsut like no, i know. But anyways yea il let you guys know what happens after sunday. Thanks for the backup!

Actually, part of the problem with the Cobras of that year was the exhuast system. It was way to restrictive. Also the Intakes where restrictive. Ford actually had a recal to fix those parts. It took them a while, that's why they didn't make Cobras for 2000, because they were fixing the problem. Other than that, the engine is the same as the 2001-up Cobra. The power potential lis the same when the appropriate mods are added, like the exhuast. So, your friends Cobra I would say has low 13 potential, 12's with slicks/drag radials and a good driver. Considering his age and the 4.10 rear gears and the fact he has never been to a track, he'll spin 1st gear, part or all of second, amybe even some of 3rd. Get a good launch, hit your gears, and have your car tuned well and you should be able to take him without much trouble. Good luck! :thumb:

with a good drive you will hit low 12s and I seriously dought that that cobra can hit 13s. Plus that kid is 16 and just got his car doesn't know how to drive especailly with his shitty outdated traction. Just don't break your rear end!!!

stock the cobra will pull times like a stock dsm mabey..... low 15s (with 16 year driver) mid 14s - high 14s decent driver. The best it wikll put with those mods is wrx low 14s times. Oh yeah unless this kid is good 4.10s in a torquey mustang means slicks apply or pro driver needed.

With slicks pro driver and fixing the curse of the 99 cobras....yes 13s are obtainable...bvut I doubt hes a pro and he drives on the street with slicks

its funny how much you guys are bashing these...

I mean im not trying to take away from yoru experience, but it is true: with an intake and exhaust the power problems are not only taken care of, but upgraded. I have seen stock 99-01 cobras running low 14's and high 13's. with full exhaust, pullies and an intake the car should be mid 13 capable with a decent driver.

now a 16g equiped car on race fuel should easily be 12's if supported and driven correctly as well. SOOO, if you are confident and have the mods and driving potential then dont worry about it at all...however the cobra isnt going to be slow ;)

oh Im not bashing stangs...Im just bashing 99 cobras....enough said about the subject we all got our opinions in:thumb:
ps. I think you are confusing earlier cobras cause they are faster than the 99s, a guy at school ran a 13.4 in a 97 cobra(older body style) with intake and exhaust.

Originally posted by BigRb247
I dont know that much about mustangs but my friend does. he said that the 99 cobra was the worst year they ever made.
Please don't call a stickered-up Mustang a "Cobra".
They had a big problem or somthin with it.
Well, yeah. They're Fords. duh.
The kid is 16.
Of course this is going to be at a sanctioned track, right? Or do we want the risk of killing a kid illegally.

:rolleyes:

he doesn't even go that far up to 70 is more then enough, that kid will realize that he lost anyways. By the time he will be done with him he will be like 4 cars ahead, and then the the cobra is going to do one of those racer flybies. I never raced anything that type but this dude from my previous school with a fwd talon with just a ported 14 b and freemods, beat all the camero and firebirds in our school by shit load of so yeah

99 cobra had a major problem with engine vibration I beleive. It is the worst year cobra. With the mods he has and drag radials the car is easily capable of low 13s and possible high 12s. If he doesnt have drag radials, then you will definetly win. Becareful if racing illegaly because he will have traction problems. If he has drag radials then it should be a good race if the kid is not an idiot and is a decent driver.

ait dude did you race him yet or no. Because it's about to start snowing over here.

no he said he wasnt gana race till next year his car isnt ready i was like whatever so...il let you kno if it does happen

he s got made tourqe on you and even being not to good of a year of cobra they can still hit high 13s low 14s

tell that ####y, that some people are calling him a ####y for being such a ####y

Sounds like he chickened out! I bet his friends were telling him just how bad-azz a 1G AWD can be, and he turned into a wuss.

Originally posted by BigRb247
no he said he wasnt gana race till next year his car isnt ready i was like whatever so...il let you kno if it does happen
tell him to quit being scared. go to a track and the loser should have to pay the entrance fee for the track for the other person. come back and post results, im curious.

The 99 Cobra's are shit. We had a 96 Cobra w/ borla exhaust, procharger, intake mani, headers, h pipe and 3.55 gears. Now that thing was FAST!! My dad destroyed GST's and TSI's. And even took a 911 Turbo once. I think it ran like high 12's. I dunno though. But we put like 10000 into it. Then sold it for 11000!:mad: :mad: Stupid parents! All because my mom wanted a "Convertable".

~Andrew~:laser:

Originally posted by Laser93Nash
The 99 Cobra's are shit. We had a 96 Cobra w/ borla exhaust, procharger, intake mani, headers, h pipe and 3.55 gears. Now that thing was FAST!! My dad destroyed GST's and TSI's. And even took a 911 Turbo once. I think it ran like high 12's. I dunno though. But we put like 10000 into it. Then sold it for 11000!:mad: :mad: Stupid parents! All because my mom wanted a "Convertable".

I would hope a cobra with those mods beat a gst/tsi:rolleyes: . besides with those mods you should be runnign alot better times...whoever drove sucks at it...really bad:laugh: . Read my earlier post 13.4 on a 98(same as yhe 96) intake and cat back without spraying 13.4, if he had sprayed he would have destroyed your dads stang with much less mods.

I don't remember how fast it was. I was only 12! I can't remember that well. I'm esimating!

P.S. Don't flame me because I don't know jack sh*t about v8's and there performance and hp and stuff. I'm a 4cyl. man. (Still learning) My brother and dad are the v8 nuts.

Originally posted by Laser93Nash
I don't remember how fast it was. I was only 12! I can't remember that well. I'm esimating!

P.S. Don't flame me because I don't know jack sh*t about v8's and there performance and hp and stuff. I'm a 4cyl. man. (Still learning) My brother and dad are the v8 nuts.

wasnt flaming you... I was just commenting. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Andrew(also)

While the '99s were recalled, I would hardly call them "the worst of the SVT Cobras"...

Not putting out the advertised 320 HP, Ford recalled them (the "fix") and replaced the catback, exude honed the intake and reflashed the computer (more agressive timing and fuel curves). It had nothing to do with the catted H-pipe, as previously mentioned.

They were also recalled for the IRS (rear steering knuckle) and had weak 28 spline axles (compared to the 00R and '03 31 spline "hardened" versions), but for daily driving, the IRS is a huge step up from all previous Mustang's (and Camaro/Firebird's) solid rear axle.

Some of the fastest pre-03 Cobras, I have seen slips of dealer "fixed" '99 Cobras running the 1/4 as fast as 13.3 @ 103 MPH on street (not drag) radials, bone stock. Add DRs, CAI, and catless exhaust and you're well into the twelves. All the N/A DOHC Cobras respond fabulously to gears and 4.10s or 4.30s will drop four or five tenths in the quarter, with a good driver...

HTH

P.S. While the 5.0 has the deepest-and-cheapest aftermarket, the 94/5 Cobras are, without a doubt, the slowest of all Cobras, from the factory. Having said that, add gears (3.73s), CAI, exhaust and a computer mod ('93 Cobra ECM, RPM Extender, or the like), and they too are in the low, low thirteens or high twelves :thumb:

Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
While the '99s were recalled, I would hardly call them "the worst of the SVT Cobras"...

Not putting out the advertised 320 HP, Ford recalled them (the "fix") and replaced the catback, exude honed the intake and reflashed the computer (more agressive timing and fuel curves). It had nothing to do with the catted H-pipe, as previously mentioned.

They were also recalled for the IRS (rear steering knuckle) and had weak 28 spline axles (compared to the 00R and '03 31 spline "hardened" versions), but for daily driving, the IRS is a huge step up from all previous Mustang's (and Camaro/Firebird's) solid rear axle.

Some of the fastest pre-03 Cobras, I have seen slips of dealer "fixed" '99 Cobras running the 1/4 as fast as 13.3 @ 103 MPH on street (not drag) radials, bone stock. Add DRs, CAI, and catless exhaust and you're well into the twelves. All the N/A DOHC Cobras respond fabulously to gears and 4.10s or 4.30s will drop four or five tenths in the quarter, with a good driver...

HTH

P.S. While the 5.0 has the deepest-and-cheapest aftermarket, the 94/5 Cobras are, without a doubt, the slowest of all Cobras, from the factory. Having said that, add gears (3.73s), CAI, exhaust and a computer mod ('93 Cobra ECM, RPM Extender, or the like), and they too are in the low, low thirteens or high twelves :thumb:

bingo!
Nice to see someone who knows their shiznit about Stangs.
Even though I've been converted to imports for years, I have love for the Stangs.
I mean we all love our DSM for the ease of tuning and how well it responds, its the same deal with the cobra Mustang. Just a different means to the same end of going fast. Gotta respect the power and speed no matter how it is come by!
:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back