The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G '94 4g63 NA - California Smog Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawfuls

Probationary Member
Mar 29, 2019
Moreno Valley, California
1994 Eagle Talon, 4g63 Naturally Aspirated, 83,xxx miles on original motor. Originally an Arizona car
Bought it with a blown head gasket, replaced the head gasket, head & valve job.

Last step before registration is to smog it, I'm in smog hell.
I've replaced the thermal vacuum valve (federal emissions on the car) as that was faulty, but it now looks like it's still failing emissions.
I'm thinking it's an EGR valve issue, but when I tested it (by pulling & holding vacuum), it appeared to be good. An EGR valve is a couple hundred, so want to be sure it's the problem before I pull and replace it.
I'm at a loss now, smog shop is willing to help out and run manual tests, but otherwise out of ideas.

I'm driving the car for ~15 minutes before pulling right into the shop for the smog, so the cat should be nice and hot.

It's failing at NO (PPM):
at 15mph it's measuring 785, max is 692
at 25mph it's measuring 1378, max is 711

Emissions Results:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Try cleaning the cat converter. With the car below half a tank of fuel. Can either get a bottle of the guaranteed to pass cleaner from
Autozone. Or. Look on YouTube. You can clean the converter using a quart of lacquer thinner mixed in with your fuel. Drive and burn the rest that tank out. Freeway is best. It will clean the cat. Also make sure your spark plugs are new and gapped. It won’t take much to clean up your readings.

It's hard to believe it would be the cat converter since it only has 83k original miles...
Any other ideas before I trudge down that road? Is the EGR holding vacuum while it's hooked up a good test?
My original thinking was that since this is originally an Arizona car, the EGR is a federal EGR and not as restrictive as a CA EGR... thus the numbers are just slightly off.

Not sure how the requirements compare to CO, but I failed for HC/NOX.

I ran it down to half a tank, threw in 2-3 bottles of Red HEET and that brought me within tolerances.
However if you have a bad cat, this may not overcome that ...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back