The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

93 Tsi budget warrior

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Congratulation on the build and especially on the addition to the family! Just curious, how was the copper head gasket holding up and are you going to use one on the newer setup?

Congratulation on the build and especially on the addition to the family! Just curious, how was the copper head gasket holding up and are you going to use one on the newer setup?

Thanks!!

I guess i forgot to mention the status of the head gasket in any of my posts. During the summer I had a bit of an issue come up with the car during an evening of racing some of the local guys. Tuned very well @ 25psi in the cooler evening air one night I had an issue with coolant spewing everywhere. I thought that is was because of the coolant overflow tank I am using, which isnt very functional at all (mishimoto) but once arriving back at the hangout spot we discovered some other news.

I was blowing coolant out between the block and the cylinder head during high rpm and this lead me to believe that I had somehow, actually blown the copper head gasket. I couldnt believe it!

Long story short, one of the ARP head studs (standard studs) had worked its way loose and the head was lifting under boost. I thought this would be an easy fix, replace the head gasket and move on. NOPE! Not the case!! The head stud had actually ripped the threads out of the block so I had to pull the entire engine out. This did not make me happy but luckily I had a few extra blocks to choose from for a replacement.

So, to answer your question. I did not have any issues with that head gasket that I know of due to the above mentioned failure but I do know that you have to have the smoothest surfaces you can for it to seal properly (which mine were fresh from the machine shop).

I am now using an OEM head gasket and L19 head studs on the same boost level with no problems at all.

As for the new setup, I think i am going to either just stay with OEM for now or go with the Felpro Permatorque gasket because that seems to be a very good gasket also. But time will tell!!

I don't see a problem with either head gasket I've used both with around 25 to 30 pounds of boost in the past on different cars never a issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back