The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

General 93 Eagle Talon TSi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Log

Probationary Member
Aug 12, 2021
Evansville, Indiana
I’m new to dsm and just made an account to post this thread to see if I can get some answers. Don’t know if I’m using this right or not lmk if not but that’s besides the point. I have a 1993 Eagle Talon running without a maf or any oxygen sensors. I bought the car this way not realizing it until it was too late. Anyway the car was just running rich so I figured that wouldn’t be an issue. The next day it wouldn’t start so I put a new ecu in and it started right up but with a misfire and will not rev past 3k rpms. Almost sounds like two step. The car has an apexi piggyback which is why it still ran without the maf. I know most are going to tell me to get a maf and oxygen sensors but I want to know if anyone can assure me that will fix my problem. Thank you

Without a mas or o2 sensor, the ecu will make the car run in "open loop" mode. It will run like TRASH until otherwise. The reason it started right up after an ecu swap is because the ecu had time to reset itself. (You can do the same thing by disconnecting the battery under hood for 90 seconds or so)

So what makes it run like trash I understand it reads how much air is coming in and tells the ecu how much fuel to give it but if it’s running with a piggyback shouldn’t I just be able to tune that out?? What does the maf do that the tuner won’t do other than read the air coming in? Again I’m new to this so any input helps
Thank you for your reply this car is a mess and I will try anything to get it running again

What he said. Ecu is just like any other computer. It's dumb. It only knows what you tell it and right now you're missing two big pieces. Just like any other processor, garbage in garbage out

I’m going to try a maf and 02. Point I was trying to make is why would a maf cause a misfire. The only thing I could come up with when reading is running without a maf will cause the injector drivers in the ecu to go bad. I’m going to pull an ecu out of an eclipse as well as the oxygen sensors. Maf will come out of a Silverado because the stock maf is so huge it won’t fit in with my setup. Let me know if you think running the Silverado maf will be a bad idea and why
Thank you all for the help

I’m going to try a maf and 02. Point I was trying to make is why would a maf cause a misfire. The only thing I could come up with when reading is running without a maf will cause the injector drivers in the ecu to go bad. I’m going to pull an ecu out of an eclipse as well as the oxygen sensors. Maf will come out of a Silverado because the stock maf is so huge it won’t fit in with my setup. Let me know if you think running the Silverado maf will be a bad idea and why
You can't just run any maf you want. That isn't how this works. You can have a misfire because currently the ecu doesn't know what to do.
Please fill out a profile, tell us what you're trying to do with the car and let us help you. Please do NOT try and just bolt on parts willy nilly. It will not work.

This has to be joke.

The maf that the people threw in the damn car was bigger than my head what maf should I run. O2 sensors from a talon are the same sensors it’s the same car. I get the maf so what can I run I read somewhere on here about people running gm mafs so that’s where I got that.

This has to be joke.
Not a joke. Very uneducated. Came to y’all for a reason I’m clueless. Where is your maf and is it the stock maf?

Here is a stock MAF.
Some of us don't run it anymore and have converted the system over to Speed Density.

That’s the same maf that they had left in the from seat. I read they are very restrictive and I’d have to go back to the stock airbox. If that’s the best way to go I’ll do it but I feel like there has to be a less restrictive way.

Again. Tell us what you are doing with the car. What "you heard" may not apply. We are here to help but you have to let us know what your doing. You want to build an 800 hp car you're not doing it on a stock maf. Fill us in. Fill out a profile so we know what you have to the best of your knowledge. Many on this board have been playing with these cars 30 years+.

Again. Tell us what you are doing with the car. What "you heard" may not apply. We are here to help but you have to let us know what your doing. You want to build an 800 hp car you're not doing it on a stock maf. Fill us in. Fill out a profile so we know what you have to the best of your knowledge. Many on this board have been playing with these cars 30 years+.
Okay sorry just very annoyed with the car at this point. So as of now I just want it to run right. Later down the road I could see putting some more work into it and making 500 horsepower tops. This will be a “weekend warrior” build nothing too expensive and nothing crazy. Just a fun car to drive on the weekends. I want it to be decently reliable but I understand it’s an old car and will have its issues. I have no idea how these forums work I’m usually just on here reading so I’m not sure how to make a profile and I’ll try to look more into it when the car is running but for now it’s an expensive paperweight.

It is a simple form to fill out so we all don't have to ask redundant questions is all.
If you wanted to get rid of "restrictions" then Speed Density is what you want. It eliminates the MAF all together. You might want to look into that. I know I run 2 of my 3 DSM's that way and I feel it is easier to tune, but that may just be me.
Marty

I think I got the profile done. I’m not worried about restriction now but later down the road I will be. I guess I was wondering if it would run with the stock airbox I didn’t mention it has different injectors but I don’t know what cc. But if it runs on the stock airbox I will grab one and put it in for now to see if my problem is fixed. I don’t want to put more money into the car until I resolve the problem. I’ll also find out what cc the injectors are and update the profile. Let me know your opinion on the stock airbox.
Thanks guys

I think I got the profile done. I’m not worried about restriction now but later down the road I will be. I guess I was wondering if it would run with the stock airbox I didn’t mention it has different injectors but I don’t know what cc. But if it runs on the stock airbox I will grab one and put it in for now to see if my problem is fixed. I don’t want to put more money into the car until I resolve the problem. I’ll also find out what cc the injectors are and update the profile. Let me know your opinion on the stock airbox.
Thanks guys
The air intake itself isn't going to make any difference, keep the stock airbox or modify it to allow more air to hit the filter, doesn't matter, won't make much difference. But the MAF needs to be there unless you're running a speed density setup (an aftermarket ECU setup - which it doesn't sound like you are). If you're running the stock ECU you need to keep the stock MAF in place. You can change the MAF (or remove it) when you change the ECU setup later. Don't focus on that until you get the car running and all the maintenance done first.

Required reading to start learning more:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back