The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

93 Eagle Talon TSi AWD Automatic

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Someone e-mailed me about how the dash was done so I'm going to post their question and my response so everyone can view it.

Im pretty interested in how you restored your dash. If you have time, would you be able to post up a link/procedure with some feedback with how you did it?

Ive been searching for a good DIY guide on restoring the dash, and you used most of the material I plan to use.

Thanks!!

As far as the dash went it depends on where it broke/cracked on how you go about repairing it. From the pictures in my thread you can see pieces snapped off or just cracks running through the dash. For the cracks I just used a fiberglass repair kit. Mixed up the resin and hardener, dipped the woven cloth in it and then placed it on the back side of the crack where you wont see it. Once it dried I sanded the hardened cloth down. On the other side where the crack was still visible I put a light smooth coat of Sputty on it. Once that dried I sanded that down flat.

The pieces that broke off which in my case was the areas where bolts went through underneath the dash to hold it into place. I took a small piece of cardboard and cut it to the shape of the piece that was missing. Then I took the fiberglass kit and cut out a piece that would wrap over that cardboard piece and hold it in place where it should go. Now remember the whole process will look terrible almost how a spackle job with sheetrock goes. It looks terrible in the beginning but at the end looks totally different. Once that fiberglass dries, I took the sputty once again and squeezed in as much as I could through the sides to fill in the empty space. Also applied a layer all over the fiberglass piece and a little further down on to the dash so I can sand/blend it in. That step you just repeat until you get a nice formal shape that is acceptable to you liking. Once that's all said and done, you clean it up good, prime and paint. That's how I did it

The Vinyl pieces that came apart I described in the thread. I basically cleaned away light rust that developed on the metal parts, Cut away the loose pieces flaking off. Sprayed some water on the area that would be glued down and then applied gorilla glue in those areas. Took a butt load of mini c-clamps, and hold downs and put them all around the vinyl to hold it down to the metal. I let it sit a day or so before taking them off. Be careful and watch the piece your doing because once the gorilla glue starts to set in you will see it ooze out and I recommend wiping that off before it gets on your vinyl and becomes a pain to get off of that.

Time for the interesting stuff, Motor time. 6-Bolt block was picked up locally for the build. Here's a list of the parts used in my build. This is going to be a strictly E85 car.

- Custom made Wiseco HD 10.5:1 6-Bolt pistons (Before they were mass produced)
- Manley H Beam Rods
- ACL Race bearings (rods/mains)
- AMS Neutral Balance shaft mod/delete
- OEM Oil pump and New Straight cut gears
- New Oil pickup tube
- Cometic Rebuild kit
- Nippon Racing 4-layer MLS Head gasket
- ARP L19 Head studs
- ARP Mains and ARP rod bolts
- New 6-Bolt Timing cover
- New OEM Bolts (Water pump, Oil pump, Oil pan, Rear main seal Case, pick up tube, Timing cover, SS Valve cover bolts, Tensioner bolts)
- OEM Tensioner
- OEM Pulleys for timing belt
- Gates Performance Timing Belt
- 7 Bolt (4 spoke Cam gears)

There might be more, feel free to ask

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1010075.jpg

P1010072.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010058.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010056.jpg

P1010064.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010060.jpg

P1010082.jpg

P1010071.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010086.jpg

P1010077.jpg

5 extra HP LOL
P1010079.jpg

Next set I'll show pics of the engine on the hoist and in the Bay!

Here's the pics of the engine being installed. My best friend came over one night after work to help put it in. It was a late night because the motor mounts were a pain to line up but I had a big smile on my face at the end of it :)

The valve cover was a lender from a friend and still on the motor currently so I don't scratch up and mess up the one I have to go on the car. I also picked up a Frontline Fabrication CAS cover after this.

The pics have the intake manifold and turbo lightly bolted up to see how it looked and to figure out further mock ups

IMG_2307.jpg

P1010111.jpg

P1010113.jpg

My friend helping
P1010112.jpg

P1010114.jpg

P1010115.jpg

P1010116.jpg

Bling shots haha

P1010120.jpg

P1010117.jpg

P1010119.jpg

P1010122.jpg

P1010121.jpg

P1010123.jpg

All nice and cozy in the garage for the winter time

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

And that's fairly up to date. Transfer case is in, along with driveshaft hooked up. Ran the speedo cable, shifter cable, dipstick tube for the transmission is on. I'm slowly putting things back on and making sure they don't interfere with all the rest of the stuff needing to go back on the car. I'll be uploading new photos as I progress. I haven't done too much from this point. Been stressed with work and actually going to be moving to a new place soon. I also hate working in the winter :p LOL

Absolutely inspiring build thus far. Talk about brought back from the grave.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back