The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Street Build 92 TSi AWD..."Punch P/O in the face" Build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tec_41

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 23, 2008
West Bend, Wisconsin
I titled it this because I haven't come across one modification on this car that's been done correctly. I've got myself a 92 TSi AWD with *low miles* according to what I can only assume is not the factory cluster, which shows 65k miles. The thing has been severely mistreated and I'm determined to bring it back to where it should be. Guy I bought it from had it for 2 months and had no freaking clue. He just seemed proud that he got the radio "working".

Stupid things I have found thus far (list is sure to grow)

Interior:
  • Speakers were held in with one finger-tight screw because the moron was too stupid to use a stubby screw driver or replace the screws with bolts. Bare wires twisted together, not even taped off.
  • There is duct tape EVERYWHERE. Holding carpet down, holding door panels, underneath the exterior door panels and side skirts, etc.
  • There is some kind of makeshift sound deadening taped under the carpet in random places.
  • Easily more than half of the bolts holding the dash in are missing, as well as most interior panels. Though this did make dash removal a breeze...
  • Seat belts are for some reason sitting in the back seat.
  • Radio wasn't mounted, just chilling on the center console with some bare wires twisted together.
  • Stupid Hurst shifter which just spins freely.
  • Drivers seat is broken. When rocking front to back it will shift a scary amount. Though it's likely bolts are just missing. Previous owner must not have thought bolts were important.
  • Lap belt bolts were both loose. I don't even know how this happens.
  • Windows hardly work - They go off track and are slow to move. I've read this is fairly common though.
  • Parking brake is disconnect. One of the cables isn't hooked up at the caliper, the other feels like it's seized.

Engine/Drivetrain:
  • Harness from a 90 has been hacked, spliced, molested, far beyond repair. It had a 90 EPROM ECU, which I'm guessing is why someone rigged a few other 90 parts in it, like the coil pack. Harness by the radiator started sparking and smoking, will have to dig into that more later.
  • ECU fried right after I limped the car home. Literally went up in smoke. Looks like the driver chip fried on the board, commonly caused by the ISC motor. So I'll be replacing that before swapping another ECU in.
  • Oil. Oil leaks everywhere. Most concerning is the leak on the timing side, which might be coming from a camshaft seal or something. Idk, once I get the thing put back together with proper wiring I'll look at that. Oil pan is dented and has red RTV gobbed all over the damn place. Oil return also gobbed with rtv and is obviously leaking. I think the P/O thought RTV worked by putting it on top of leaks.
  • Vacuum/boost leaks- I haven't done a BLT yet, but right off the bat there was just a missing hose off of the throttle body. I think it once ran to the EGR system that was I'm sure properly deleted.
  • 3 missing exhaust studs/nuts.
  • Bigger injectors, no tune. Dude claimed they were 560's or something, but he didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.
  • Air filter was not connected to anything, just chilling next to the stock intake pipe.
  • Intermediate shaft carrier whatever thing is not bolted all the way down.
  • Clutch doesn't fully disengage, grinds sometimes when shifting. The pedal feels like poo, the slave cylinder squeaks, and I think the master is adjust out as much as it possibly can be. So that'll be a fun combo of things to diagnose.

Body
  • Actually pretty rust free, but there are many dings, zip ties, and spray bombed areas. I'll get some good pictures of that stuff eventually.
  • Eclipse front bumper, Talon everything else. It was involved in some kind of collision at one point.
  • 2/4 wheels have bent lips. I can probably fix them with a piece of wood and a hammer.
  • Rear bumper is all tweaked. Exhaust melted and covered some of it with black soot.

And so much more. I'll be updating with pictures as I go along, mostly so I can keep track of parts, cost, and the long to-do list.

20141022_082227.jpg

20141022_082215.jpg

20141020_211035.jpg

And my whole album if you care to browse- http://s52.photobucket.com/user/tec_41/library/1g TSi AWD?sort=3&page=1

On a brighter note, this car supposedly has some decent parts in it. TRE Stage 2.5 trans, 4-spider center diff, lsd diffs, small 16g, and idk what else. Aside from the turbo I haven't verified these things yet, but it makes me at least a little happy to think those are all true.

Last edited:
As of right now I have the entire dash ripped out, as well as the ECU/engine harness. I'm waiting on a replacement harness to get here and a replacement ECU. Both of these are from 92 TSi's.

Also purchased stock 1g injectors and the appropriate coil pack from a 92.

11/15/14
Installed stock 1g injectors

11/19/14
Replaced fuel filter

11/20/14
Replaced original ISC with black aftermarket

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back