The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 92 TSI AWD brake upgrade help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have found that old hoses will swell or collapse and you really don't notice it because you can't see it happening so I would go with NEW lines of any kind. If you like the SS, do it. They won't swell! Check all of the metal lines too, you don't want to blow one when they are needed. I replaced the complete rear with new lines. The only old lines I have are from the fenderwell to the proportioning valve in front. PIECE OF MIND! ;)

Lucky for me I just pulled front and rear brake calipers off my 93awd thats going to the junkyard! Don't even need em!!:rocks::rocks::rocks:. Anyways, carry on all.
Good thing to have hung onto!

I have found that old hoses will swell or collapse and you really don't notice it because you can't see it happening so I would go with NEW lines of any kind. If you like the SS, do it. They won't swell! Check all of the metal lines too, you don't want to blow one when they are needed. I replaced the complete rear with new lines. The only old lines I have are from the fenderwell to the proportioning valve in front. PIECE OF MIND! ;)
Thanks. I'll probably go with all new SS hoses, unless you or someone recommends something even better that's not crazy more expensive.

As for the lines, I can probably run my own with some nicopp line I bought a while back and never used, with new fittings and a double flare tool. But the existing lines look ok.

That is EXACTLY what I did. A 25' coil will work perfect. Nice stuff to work with, I have been promoting it since I did my whole rear.

Sorry to resurrect this thread - Talon's been parked for most of the summer but with winter coming I need to get these brakes sorted. Would it matter that my Talon is an early 92 / 6 bolt?

Sorry, I forgot, what's the question?

But if you're asking about SS brake hoses, just get a set from a site vendor. I went with JNZ but ExtremePSI & RTM have them and I'm sure others. Came out to a bit over $100 IIRC, for a set of 8, which includes 10 new bracket clips (the front brakes use 3 each, the rears 2 each). This is for a '92 6 bolt, which is what I have.

I can't say that they made a night and day difference, but my brakes do feel a bit more solid now. I have the same as you in front, single caliper. For my stock HP setup they should be ok for my needs. Braking could be a bit better but it's ok. I haven't installed the rears yet but once I do maybe it'll improve things up front, by removing any hydraulic pressure loss due to hose expansion.

Sorry, I forgot, what's the question?

But if you're asking about SS brake hoses, just get a set from a site vendor. I went with JNZ but ExtremePSI & RTM have them and I'm sure others. Came out to a bit over $100 IIRC, for a set of 8, which includes 10 new bracket clips (the front brakes use 3 each, the rears 2 each). This is for a '92 6 bolt, which is what I have.

I can't say that they made a night and day difference, but my brakes do feel a bit more solid now. I have the same as you in front, single caliper. For my stock HP setup they should be ok for my needs. Braking could be a bit better but it's ok. I haven't installed the rears yet but once I do maybe it'll improve things up front, by removing any hydraulic pressure loss due to hose expansion.
I had bought the PowerStop Z23 kit but the rotors don't fit on my 92.

I had bought the PowerStop Z23 kit but the rotors don't fit on my 92.
I bought the Z23 & Z26. One's rear and one's front, forgot which is which. But they come in versions that are specific to a given car. Are you sure you got the right one?

Also, I don't know if it applies, but I got them on Amazon, one for a price that seemed too good to be true, like $100 off. When I got them the pads didn't seem quite right. There were spelling mistakes on the box and they didn't look like the other set, a bit rougher.

I contacted PS and sent them photos, and they said that they looked like counterfeits and sent me a real set instead, free, which I installed. So maybe even if you bought the correct model, maybe they're fake and that's why they don't fit.

z23 is a Kit number like saying I have "super combo" brakes. It is not the model number.
We will need to know what brakes you have (are they oem) etc. What model z23 kit did you buy?

z23 is a Kit number like saying I have "super combo" brakes. It is not the model number.
We will need to know what brakes you have (are they oem) etc. What model z23 kit did you buy?
More properly it's a line code akin to some makers' "Pro", "Ultimate" and "Extreme" lines. It's followed by a hyphen and a code that actually identifies the specific model, like Z23-K681, their front brake pad and rotor kit with rubberized pad backs and drilled and slotted rotors for my 1G turbo/awd (and I imagine other cars).

Sometimes I see rock auto or parts geek or other places offering a rebuilt 1G twin piston caliper and bracket (brackets are interchangeable side to side, caliper bodies are not). But if you can find one, they're usually out of one side or the other. Rebuild kits are still available, and should be common with the 2G twin caliper. I've hoarded up enough good 1G twin piston caliper cores and rebuild kits to use in a "future" upgrade for my 90 (yes, any day now...). They pop up on the classified ads from time to time, too. Not as rare as the 1G AWD rear calipers.

Almost anyone would replace their brake hoses when upgrading calipers, so really the 2G path is least resistance; unless you really like the OEM two hose with hard line between setup.I somehow starting collecting the 1G parts before I really understood how easy the 2G adaptation was.

One other item is the prop valve. It is different for the single piston and twin piston setups. I don't know about 2G prop valve, but believe they are more different still. Perhaps internally similar to the twin-1G? Also ABS comes into play, but I don't have that on mine.

Sorry to keep resurrecting this. Haven't been driving much so it's been on the backburner, but I have a big drive coming up and would love to have some actual stopping power when I go.

The rotors from the Power Stop kit wouldn't fit on my hub. Is that an issue I'm going to have if I buy 93+ rotors for the dual piston calipers or was this some oddity?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back