The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

92 Talon TSI AWD ... Project Revival

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can you give us some details on the electric power steering ? Is it one of those on-column setups for classic cars ?

Also, what are those spacers you used on your FRH manifold ? I will have the same setup with a Wilson TB, so that's perfect for me too.

Thanks,
-Tony

Can you give us some details on the electric power steering ? Is it one of those on-column setups for classic cars ?

Also, what are those spacers you used on your FRH manifold ? I will have the same setup with a Wilson TB, so that's perfect for me too.

Thanks,
-Tony

The electric power steering is the on column setup out of a saturn vue that I pulled from the junk yard after finding a simple way to control it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171027023129?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT ....I plan on using this at first and then eventually want to figure out exactly what the knob dials (volts,Hz, etc) and see if I can get the AEM EMS to control it through one of the outputs. Amazingly it really wasn't to difficult to get the electric steering mated to the DSM column, with a little bit more careful measuring I wouldn't have had to extend the intermediate steering shaft by a 1/2 inch.

If some are interested I could probably take the column apart to show what all I had to do to make it work.

In total I have less than 100$ invested into the electric steering which is going to much needed for those big wheels and tires I plan on running.

That is one spacer on the FRH manifold, its some kind of phenolic spacer to keep heat from soaking the intake, far as I know that spacer came with the manifold when you bought them, thats when/how i got that one. The Magnus cable adapter for the Wilson throttle body made things much easier as well. Just not the happiest with the TP sensor for them, just don't like those old style sensors much and will have to splice a new end on it to make it usable, and need to widen the mounting holes a little so it fits 100%. Also going speed density, and there is a perfect hole on the bottom on my throttle body that my intake temp sensor fits into perfectly, one less thing to add to intercooler pipe.

@yhype, I meant the spacers you used for the throttle cable ? Are they just off-the shelf spacers from the auto parts store ?

Like I said, we have about the same setup:

EhR4b62l.jpg

And you might like this, I carefully cut off the connector portion of my old tps, and soldered the ford tps to it, so I can use the dsm wiring harness just like if it were a 1g throttle body:

PiC9jUcl.jpg

@yhype, I meant the spacers you used for the throttle cable ? Are they just off-the shelf spacers from the auto parts store ?

Like I said, we have about the same setup:

And you might like this, I carefully cut off the connector portion of my old tps, and soldered the ford tps to it, so I can use the dsm wiring harness just like if it were a 1g throttle body:

Lol my fault...Wow looks like you have some old skool parts too, very nice. Actually those throttle cable spacers are actually just some 1/4 in chrome sockets I never used (SAE ones i believe), so I put them to use :D.

I would like to find a solution for the TPS that doesn't require modifying the sensor, so I've been looking around for another ford tps that would work, thought I found one but turned out it wouldn't mount up correctly.

Edit...think I found a cheap connector for it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/THROTTLE-PO...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d6aa4498&vxp=mtr

Yea, I'm going for a "rare parts" build. Not that I had the FRH on my laser 15 years ago, but it's a pretty rare manifold these days. I was also very lucky to find brand new in-box web street cams. Those I did have on my laser. Plus my manifold and o2 housing are from Extreme Motorsports in MD, a place I cherished back in the day.

Napa does have some spacers in the hardware aisle, as well as chrome dress up stuff like that on the end of a rack that I saw, I guess i'll try that out.

I also did the nissan evap retrofit for the ISC, so that I'll have idle control even with the Wilson TB. You going that route as well?

That's still a ford-to-ford tps connector. One way or the other, you'll have to modify either the tps itself like i did, or solder up a ford connector on to the dsm engine harness. I wanted to keep the dsm harness as in-tact as possible, and my old dsm tps wasn't gonig to be used anymore, so that's why I donated its' connector to the ford tps.

I have fiddled with it mounted to the throttle body, and it seems the mounting holes in the tps will have to be drilled a little to allow the tps to read zero with the throttle closed, but that seems to be a normal happening. I'm pretty far from figuring that out, as the engine's not in the car, neither is the wiring harness or ecu.

@tmoney20g
My build is mainly an old skool build due to I assembled everything over 10 years ago, old skool Crower stage 4 cams and valve springs, can't wait to hear it idle. As far as idle control, I think I am going to try out the "race car" idle method of just controlling it with the set screw on the throttle body. Since as you've probably noticed, I am going for the minimalist approach on everything.

Well that connector I found on ebay I was just going to cut off the end I need that will connect to our tps and wire it into my harness, since I'm making my own engine harness.

You assembled engine is looking good on a side note. Hopefully mine will clean up like that when I pull it back out to finish painting the engine bay and finish the brake lines.

Based on everything else you cleaned up, I'm sure it will look fantastic. LOL, start at page 1 of my build, my stuff didn't look much different than yours. Pretty much spent all of last summer sanding/blasting/priming/painting everything off the car.

Fear not everyone...It has been warm outside again and I have been putting some major time into re-engineering my entire car's wiring. Made everything as modular as I felt necessary and moved the relay box, and fuse box(s) to inside. By far the hardest part of this was figuring out what wire needed to go where without forgetting about any splices that were needed to go else where. Only other things that have been done that I think of are some parts that shipped to @Gamble97 to have welded up. At the end of my last day off I threw back in my dash and all the electronics and test them out, and so far so good, but forgot to test out the front lights and everything I have running through the fender wells which I'll be doing tomorrow. If all is well last bit of wiring I need to do is finish my engine harness, would've been done by now but waited over a month for a special Raychem 90* shrink boot. Anyhow, time for some pics.

My modified center vent
Mqq1EarCQAo9XzGFtD4lZUfH93KP1C7GNEvVm3L0YsY=w1440-h810-no.jpg

My assembled cluster
kj11gFbcJdx1B1M6ivhWHr4Yws11IWzHNCORQislAzI=w1440-h810-no.jpg
iAIJ1FU9LzuzyXoCcPzk3XxtRcJQGMbd--9FrqdNL-4=w1440-h810-no.jpg

My center dash trim
Bnby6RSnIpoyXxwt27QiydeI9LO7z1_G__9S2CGaxPA=w472-h839-no.jpg
sNQphk0sZJMvDAHvDlyyz5Noi543zKEdQ2GOws5tprA=w472-h839-no.jpg

The beginnings of much brain melting.
hOOFbw8nFJGPuWh0S5-SedP3pI8InK2m-3bxvheeaog=w1440-h810-no.jpg

Getting somewhere, got all important pieces mounted.
xzBN3PoohF33EQySgmAiIXPfKG1NKGU3cehSPmRXbEY=w1440-h810-no.jpg

Got the EMS wired to firewall bulkhead connector.
kPs79p2IjVaGmR12DADISkDhcTPD0HMHIhsySZ-9QCI=w1440-h810-no.jpg

Dash wiring all cleaned up and made modular.
FYlbcfN15Jl_4GfkzWBvuKipQ1poyA2L6FX3mxHgm8c=w1440-h810-no.jpg

Pure sexyness engine mounts for finally assebmly.
UPSsHTRXFcfY-ztltVHsJIlsU_hU6LNITZfhufklmLk=w1440-h810-no.jpg

Driver side fender well pass through wiring.
Bsed_IWqqnRUv8AsFkkycOdmFGwCaFJlA2K1wYZX_KQ=w472-h839-no.jpg
yWfA62pf8aewXrMYZsePNPwUVJKFhxJq56GyeS3xsLM=w1440-h810-no.jpg
kR5PiUx6VP0oZDe5_hjq7gY5FnYNjmc2ulr_mRB2F_Y=w1440-h810-no.jpg

And the passenger side
5-X767ueCwkTaRx455AJdLu4dfNTTue5OmHnQky0dzw=w472-h839-no.jpg
_9T5IHgi_bktoW8ZCaWArSdA9aq7dcmqAFlS-H0MmXw=w1440-h810-no.jpg

As for the holes next to the pass through bulkhead connectors, I made fill plates that I'm going to pop rivet and seam seal on and undercoat.

Thanks for taking a look.

Still looking awesome man! I'm lovin that gauge cluster! I think you're going to have to do a write-up on that...:pray::D. Keep it going, keeps the rest of us inspired. What paints are you using? Let us know how they hold up.

Was able to finish welding up my intake pipe and upper intercooler pipe and boost leak test them, was a little bit of a pain with my 120v mig welder. Also was able to shave off the lines from the valve cover in preparation to drop it off for powder coating along with the pipes and some motor mount brackets and radiator brackets. I received my exhaust manifold, turbo housing and o2 housing back from SwainTech, will be coating them in VHT black flameproof paint along with the rest of the exhaust to match. Hopefully on my next day off, Sunday, I will be able to get my SSBC prop block placed and bend some lines to plumb the front brake lines. Here's a link to the prop block i'm using http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ssb-a0730pl

SwainTech
NI8i1H0hDAf3cSw6QlNfmPlzwzv7kbvPSTq0-KM1Tok=w1144-h643-no.jpg

Think I have finally ordered everything I need.

P.S. Pushing to try and get this thing done for the Shootout in a month.

Well its been a little over a month since my last update. I put in many late hours and long days and waited longer then I had hoped for to get my powder coated parts back. Didn't call me to pick my parts until 3pm wednesday before the shootout. But I managed to get the car put together, wasn't running but it was assembled. My K&N filter ended up being to big, so need another filter(thinking of trying out a UNI filter), and I had the wrong angle -10 fitting that connects onto my intake pipe for the catch can. Also was short of some hose clamps and have a pin hole in my oil pan will need to fix. Was not impressed by the fitment of Ohm's radiator hoses, the clamps that came with them were scrap metal. I was also in some much of a rush I need to double my engine bulkhead pin assignments. Anyhow here are some pics, first is just before I was pulling it out of the garage it had resided in for the last 3 years, and the others were after I got back from the shootout still strap to the trailer.
bWzF4OYEDrL86GSp2shTUOzmb_dH57Hlbs60W0P4-CM=w1741-h979-no.jpg

f7X_buihDJwvh_2FgwirL4xyaG0o5HFBuS664dwSK04=w1741-h979-no.jpg

i3iE4DJFTxH8PSiN2x5CVrb7NDwnURSYyxQEp9MfUBg=w1741-h979-no.jpg

Qi4P5f5ZLrKtgUyJhVpESTOrnsd_CRoOMYAomJ_GeCg=w1741-h979-no.jpg

ETMEpCvwV1GMlq4aiG-UeJT-Z9cOwtdYcJ9rf_-i02U=w1741-h979-no.jpg

l4fRn5h6y7Y9bj1bSLMDRurYEaRCYbPisR4ZjUygpBk=w1741-h979-no.jpg

I love seeing build threads like yours! Awesome job man. What shift knob is that btw?

It was great meeting you to. always nice to put faces to names. The engine bay is where i put most on my thought process into, so i really appreciate the props.

Yes me too I didn't know that was your build and we camped right next to each other I never saw a bay like that ever talk about inspiring man I'm still working on mine see ya next year

You didn't happen to take any pictures of the steering setup did you?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back