The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

92 N/T A/T - disconnected battery, now car won't turn over.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

euroticcustoms

Probationary Member
Nov 1, 2004
Clarksburg, West_Virginia
Hey guys, I bought a 92 Talon today...2.0 A/T N/T. The tranny was acting up, so I tried disconnecting the negative terminal to reset the TCU. I was walking to the car and noticed I had left the hatch popped for around 30 minutes and the dome light was on kinda dim. I hit the key for a sec to make sure it would still turn over. It turned over, but I didn't start it. I disconnected the battery for a little over a minute and reconnected it. Got in the car, hit the key and the starter isn't engaging. I checked all fuses earlier in the day, all were fine. I re-checked them and made sure the terminal was tight...all was well. Put a digital multimeter on the battery and it's holding 12.00 volts. Plenty to start it. Disconnected and reconnected the terminal, still no start. Anybody had this problem? Any help would be great.

Paul

Check the resistance between the battery positive terminal and the starter, the ground to the negative terminal and the starter ground stud to the ground.

Hey Tim, thanks for the reply. Turns out it had nothing whatsoever to do with the battery being disconnected. Somebody has a switch mounted to the dash...it's a kinda weird / cheap looking switch...It's rectangular with 2 rectangular buttons...one with a rectangular ed light above it and one with a green light...the switches are the kind you might find on an old home receiver for a stereo system...when you push them they don't stay in...they kinda just go back where they were before you pushed them. Anyway, there's like 6 wires going into the dash.

I posted on another forum and somebody said the battery was dead...I didn't see how it could be, but I tried jumping the car with no luck. Anyway, I was sitting in the car with the ignition switch on and decided I'd try to tuck the 6 wires for the ghetto switch back into the dash...as I was shoving the wires in, I heard a click near the fuse box...like a relay. Well, I hit the key and it started.

Now, it never did this before, and I kinda remember messing with the switch as I was getting into the car for a test drive yesterday. I guess I must have pulled a wire loose. BUT, neither button on the switch seems to have anything to do with starting the car...just the wiring for the switch. I dunno.

I guess I'll have to tear the dash apart and find out what's going on in there...the only thing I can think of is that somebody rigged up some kind of ghetto security system or starter kill. I dunno, but that was the problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back