The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved 1G- 92 Laser No crank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentherat8834

Probationary Member
Nov 18, 2021
Rome, Georgia
Washed the engine bay and noticed a spark from the coil pack grounding to the motor, previous owner had a piece of cork between them to try and insulate it. And the car had a skip on the 4th cylinder 😂 I replaced the coil pack and still had a skip. I pulled the plug out to test it and grounded it to the motor and it stopped running 😬 went in to try and start it and it wouldn't do anything. Won't turn over or anything, but the dash is lit up like normal. Ignition relay?

Tell us a little more about the car. From the front hood I can tell it's a 2.0L but not if it's turbo or what type of transmission.

There are several things we look for first. When you turn the ignition key on does the Check Engine Light turn on for 5 seconds and then turn off? On the turbo cars that is joined by the factory boot gauge moving to 0 until you start cranking when it moved into a vacuum reading. This indicates that the ECU turned on and that it activated the MPI relay.

The second is on a manual cars there is a Clutch Safety Switch on the pedal assembly that disables the circuit to the starter from the ignition switch when you aren't pushing the clutch pedal in. On the Automatic cars there is a Park/Neutral interlock that enables the signal to the starter. In either case the starter won't activate if these interlocks are in the wrong state or broken. The CSS often fails from the rubber stopped that used to push the switch in wears out or is missing.

If the car has an aftermarket alarm you can have additional issues that are unique to each.

Thanks for the quick response! I checked the starter and crossed the posts, first nothing, then I tapped it with a wrench crossed them and it turned over. I turned the key and it'll turn over now! It is a N/A 2.0 manual. The CEL did come on and turn off after 5 seconds. I'm hoping I didn't do any permanent damage to the starter! Just have to play with it some. Thanks again! 😊

just sounds like a sticking solenoid. I bet once it gets warm from engine heat one time and dries out completely it will return to normal. If the solenoid doesn't push the pinion into the ring gear and simultaneously close the starter motor switch, you get nothing. The tap with wrench (or hammer handle is my tool of choice when there's room) is the classic temp fix.

So I replaced the starter and she cranks right on up. Thought I may have had battery issues, will have to replace the battery anyways, because it was struggling to turn over after I tapped it. We put three other batteries on it only for it to do the same. She's going now though! 😍 Thanks for the comments everyone!

Glad you got it fixed. If you're like me, you don't dwell on what was the actual problem once it's fixed; move on. I still suspect something got into the solenoid/starter contact, and was dropping voltage to the starter motor. But replacing the entire starter (with solenoid) is easy and not that expensive.
Drive on!

Unless you know the starter is low miles, chances are it's at end-of-life: failing intermittently is what they usually do before they completely die. They're cheap and I'd do it before it strands you someplace inconvenient.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back