The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

92 GSX engine problems Please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud92gsx

Welcome Wagon
Jan 16, 2008
Wisconsin, Wisconsin
So i put a 16G turbo on my 92 GSX, and i was coming home one afternoon and i was going up a hill i kicked in the boost a lil bit,and all of a sudden bomm. A big ball of black smoke came out of my exhaust, and its never been the same since. My car has no power, white smoke comes out of the exhaust and not all of the cylinders have all the compression that they need. So 3 are fine and number 4 has barely any compression, you can even hear that number 4 doesnt sound like the other 3. I hope its just the piston rings that are warped,but i could be wrong. So if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix my problem cheap. It is a 6 bolt 4g63T. I am a student at Wyotech so i dont have alot of money. Or if anyone would want to trade for a 2G eclispe GSt or GSX thats cool with me. So any way please help me i miss driving my car soo much.

Thank you
Bud92 gsx
P.S. i can post pics if you want to see it.

unfortunally there is no "cheap" fix" if you know what you're doing you can always just replaced the rings in that cylinder yourself, but it would be wise to do more things well you're in there. Compression doesn't always mean bad piston ring tho, I would check timing marks make sure thats good but generally if timing is off all compression would be low, then do a leak down test and make sure its not valves, then at least after that you could guess better on what the problem is, btw what were the compression numbers? and you're sure you did the compression test right, the car was warm....and you held the throttle open well you cranked? Good luck and keep the boards posted

Thank you! really
Ok so im gonna want to take the head off and check that out? Replace piston rings, and check for a blown off IC pipe? While im in there Iwanna check out the valves and what not? Right? I mean there opening a shop where we can go and do some stuff, but i dont know how long im gonna to do this stuff, and what im gonna need when i get in there. So could I do a teardown replace the piston rings, do a visual inspection of what could be bad, put it back together and drive it home and park it till i can get the other stuff inside the head? I know that was a lil long but ohh well....

Thanks again please reply back!

While you're replacing the piston rings you should be able to see if you put a hole through your piston or something else like that that could lower compression and make your car smoke. It could also be your turbo, that wouldn't make you have low compression but you should inspect your turbo too.

Ohh I forgot to say that my car runs and drives fine. Its just I need to do some stuff Yet. Just posted this mornin so havn't got on it yet, but I will...

:dsm:
Thanks again

Bud 92 GSX

It did overheat then I flushed the radiator,and replaced the thermostat twice, some new hoses and stuff so it dont over heat anymore.

The turbo is a 16G, I got it used so I sent it to Chicago and had it rebuilt with Greddy internals and seals. I added a stainless steel turbo oil inlet modded from a 2G.new oil return and seals, new seals around exhaust manifold turbo,O2 housing,downpipe.

But I will get a new head gasket as well .

The turbo has no effect on a compression test. Also any turbo problem is going to cause all cylinders to behave the same.

Anytime your engine goes boom and starts running differently, then it's time to tear down. Things that break in the head affect the crank and assembly in the block. If a piston ring broke, the peices went somewhere. If you've ever worn your brake pads metal to metal, that will give you some idea of what piece of super hard piston ring will do to a piston and cylinder bore. The more you drive it, the more it's probobly going to cost you to repair.

If you have never had an engine apart before, it might be time to look for another engine. I would not expect to go tear it apart and put it back together and drive home.

I was just thinking, you got a 16g turbo and a boost controller, but I didn't see any fuel upgrades on your profile. You probably were running too lean. I'm no expert, but I am fairly sure that the bigger turbo and bigger boost number will overrun the stock fuel pump.

I was just trying to figure why your engine would die. In another thread you were asking why a 6 bolt is better than a 7 because your 6 bolt blew up. I think everyone agrees that the 6 bolt is a better shortblock, but tuning plays a huge role. I've been told that a person who is good at tuning can run 450hp with stock internals. Conversely, a person who is bad at tuning can blow up a $10,000 pretty quick.

Either way, if you're going to Wyotech you should be able to fix the car yourself, or at least know a lot of people who could help you. Other than that, all I can say is save up and do the rebuild right. Might as well put quality stuff in. Good luck. :thumb:

I was just thinking, you got a 16g turbo and a boost controller, but I didn't see any fuel upgrades on your profile. You probably were running too lean. I'm no expert, but I am fairly sure that the bigger turbo and bigger boost number will overrun the stock fuel pump.

I was just trying to figure why your engine would die. In another thread you were asking why a 6 bolt is better than a 7 because your 6 bolt blew up. I think everyone agrees that the 6 bolt is a better shortblock, but tuning plays a huge role. I've been told that a person who is good at tuning can run 450hp with stock internals. Conversely, a person who is bad at tuning can blow up a $10,000 pretty quick.

Either way, if you're going to Wyotech you should be able to fix the car yourself, or at least know a lot of people who could help you. Other than that, all I can say is save up and do the rebuild right. Might as well put quality stuff in. Good luck. :thumb:

Yes that what i did. i put a bigger turbo on and boosted it and didnt get more fuel. some one told me today to check my TCM and another was to check my o2 sensors. this weekend or maybe some time this week i might compression test. but untill then i can only go by what the car doesnt have anymore. and my engine isnt dead its just on the way out is the way its running right now. so when i geet time i will do more tests. and i cant just take the head off and se if i broke anything ### the l;and lady wont even let us change our oil. so maybe im just better off getting a new engine and swapping it,keeping the 6 bolt and rebuilding it when i get a 2g her hopefully soon.
thanks for all the help!

My guess is head gasket.Remove the head and start there.

Updating post
So I drove my car last night. I had to drive the car in second gear the whole time I was driving. My car had to be above 3000 rpms,but above 3000 rpms the engine was sweet. If i had the car in 3rd or overdrive and I had absolutley no power at all. When I wanted to open her up in those gears it downshifted to either 2nd or 1st. Ohh the freakin boost kicked in it was sweeeet! Ive missed boost soo bad. Any way so im gonna do the compression this weekend, and in like 2 weeeks we have student days im gonna take and check it with the the scantool. Im thinkin like a troublecode for the TCM. I could also be very wrong. I am gonna do some things in the meantime. so I will give more updates when I they come about.

No, it's not the plug wire.
Student days is next week I get some time in the shop with her, I hope I have the money to get some stuff. well see what happens.

Report.
I did a compression test and a leakdown test, Im happy to report there are no engine related problems! YAY! Although I am really stupid i thought I had engine problems, i am saying that its just turbo lag on my 16G. Funny right? I need to get rid of turbo lag, any sugesstions?
I got all new belts gaskets for everything new head bolts ane so forth. All my belts that are on there are pretty much brand new and are just right. I am going to put a new wheel hub and bearing with a new cv shaft, from a previous my wheel snapping the F off. I ordered the parts, and the 200$ I spent on all the belts and gaskets and stuff for the head job that didnt get even opened I took back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back