The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

92 GSX 6/4 5 speed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't normally pay much attention to this page but figured I'd give it a stab.. Bought this car 2 years ago from the originals owners daughter, he had passed away a few years ago and the car sat for several years in a barn. When I bought it I said I was going to do light mods, like I had done to the 91 Plymouth laser I owned beforehand.. Well.. that didn't last long.

Right now I've ended up with a PR fmic, fuellab AFPR, custom intake piping, a montero MAF, Evo III 16g, 44mm EWG setup mounted to a PR o2 housing, FP manifold. ECMlink, MTXL wideband. FIC 850cc injectors, walboro 255, JNZ short shifter.

The head gasket is factory with 94k on it, stock block. stock head as of this moment. I have a set of comp cams to go in with some evo8 valvesprings and retainers.

Transmission.. has an ACT 2600 kit in it backed by an ACT streetlite flywheel, I do not care for it due to how easily it wiped out my clutch pedal assembly, Had to pull it on 3 separate occasions, I ended up taking my assembly to a local fabricator who welds race car chassis, 20 bucks later I had my pedal assembly welded and it has been holding up for almost a year now.

I had the new model 68hta installed in my car from feb 2016 until late may 2016, I removed it to go back to an evoIII 16g because in my opinion, for a street car it is quite laggy, It made first gear completely useless and second wasn't much better. Don't get me wrong it hauled in the upper RPM range but for EVERY DAY driving.. I wasn't impressed. I will be posting back to back ECMlink logs, the 68hta against the evoIII with no other changes, hopefully to give some people useful information if they are thinking about making the same jump I did.

Alright guys I was gonna post a thread on the forum but I don't really have enough pictures to make it a decent how to.. but I recently purchased the 1g AWD stainless exhaust off of amazon (140 shipped!?) So.. heres what I got.. and here's how it fit.

Overall it LOOKS good. I'm sure this is a ripoff of a larger brand of some kind, don't really care as I was only interested in the piping that didn't have my horrible welds all over it.

IMG_20160601_205433985.jpg

Exhaust hangers? Not quite so much, if you do buy this setup be prepared to grind an reweld your hangers wherever you need to. I never even attempted to use the horrible fart cannon on the back on that thing.
IMG_20160602_180120608.jpg

It looks better without the silencer in there.. but I refuse to run one of these on my car for any reason.
IMG_20160602_180129691.jpg

Cut and welded on a 2.5 inch moroso spiral flow muffer I had laying around from a different project, yes I know my welds look horrible, but they work right?

Actually if any welder can tell me what I was doing wrong to make it look that way that'd be great, I just kind of go by feel and that bead did not feel good.

IMG_20160623_194233999.jpg

Overall if you don't mind grinding and rewelding the hangers for 140 bucks you can't beat it. I almost can't custom build an exhaust for that price.

One important note though, this is a catback exhaust so if you don't have a test pipe you'll have to cut and extend the pipe 20" and rotate the flange to meet the downpipe.

I painted my valve cover and timing belt cover, It came out great until I sprayed pb blaster nearby and.. well. you see the rest.

IMG_20160618_205949731.jpg

Lookin' good. What did you end up doing with your 68hta? I'm assuming you have the v2 (8cm2 housing, larger turbine wheel)? Got any suspension or brake upgrades?

I had an oil consumption issue and an uncomfortable amount of shaft play with the 68hta, Justin suggested I talk to FP, long story short they rebuilt it for free and are sending it back with the recommendation to feed it off the Oil filter housing instead of from the head where I have been. (feeding from the head is fine for 14b/16g variants but not the 68hta)

I had lowering springs and kyb AGXs but I couldn't stand the ride so I am back on stock springs and KYB AGXs, at the softest settings the NY roads still suck, my 83 z28 camaro with 90/10 drag shocks rode better then my 1g does. I also have 93-94 AWD dual piston calipers. Nothing outrageous, but I drive my car every single day and it is a BLAST. Problem is every time I add power I start to get used to it and start getting bored with it, that's why I like low end power.. you can always feel that in 1st and second.

Edit - yes it is the V2 68hta

Well I've changed the muffler setup on this exhaust about 4 times since I posted last, I can't seem to find a muffler setup I like, I love it with an open exhaust because I can hear the turbo through it but it draws too much attention around town (not from cops, from the mouth breathers) I've had more regular cars try to race me or just tailgate when the exhaust was loud then the past 2 years when it's been quiet.

Took the car out to get dyno'd at STM last week, put down 292WHP, 264torque. not terrible on a mustang dyno, equates to about 345whp 310wt if it were a dynojet. 25psi on pump gas with a 16g. so not terrible either way you look at it.

I plan on installing the 68hta back on the car and taking it back to STM to see what kind of gains Ill get in power and to see the loss I'll get in spool. Hang in there and I'll post the dyno video, graph and log.

It's been a while haven't really posted or updated anything so I figure it's about time.. so my 6 month old alternator crapped out, upgraded with a galant 90amp alternator and now the bolts won't stay tight -.-

snapped a picture while the car was up
IMG_20161019_210849205.jpg

Also finally managed to get my hands on a set of crystal headlights/corners, It really changes the look of the front end, now I'd like to put the fogs back in.. but..
IMG_20161026_204318729.jpg

New 4" ETS intercooler may not allow that, I have not mocked it up yet so I have no idea how it'll compare with the PR FMIC.

The car is pretty much done for the season, but as of now I'm looking at doing adjustable cam gears, definetely swapping over to the v1 68hta (I'm gonna run the 8cm FP housing.. so how that goes, If I need to I'll switch to my internally gated 7cm housing but I feel like I'll be alright. Also have boxes.. and boxes of parts laying around, I'll either sell some spare parts or install them. Oh yeah new trans and transfer case is done, so I'll be throwing that in too.

Just dropped quite a chunk of change on an 04 Forester XT (turbo!) 5 speed, It's lightly modded but GOD is it slow compared to the GSX. The low end torque is nice though.

IMG_20160415_193659808_HDR.jpg

Oh and for anyone that looks and you want something to laugh at? I couldn't believe this car existed until I saw it. You wanna know who drives it? Mini-T thats who. A mini mr. T. with the chains and everythang.

IMG_20160704_112458861_HDR.jpg

Finally managed to get the FXT washed and cleaned up a little bit, I can't believe what a difference just washing it made on this thing

IMG_20161112_150726658_HDR.jpg

No real progress on the GSX, first snowfall today, I'm still being kind of lazy, the rebuilt trans/transfer case is coming back soon, so I think I'm going to do the trans swap, turbo swap and pull the front end off at the same time. I'll take some pictures as I go along.

Hey guys, not really car related but figured you southerners might get a kick out of this.. especially @Stangmurdera, I know how you guys like to close for a bit of a snow LOL.
IMG_20161121_091148035.jpg

It was 65 on saturday afternoon, no snow at all at noon on sunday, this was taken at 8:30 am on monday. Minor dusting yeah?

This is a view of my playground, My job is to sort, and generally just be responsible for almost 3,500 cars in the yard, there's cars all the way to that treeline
IMG_20161121_122127503_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161121_122138040.jpg

And we got another 10 inches last night. Gotta love new york, it's supposed to be 48 on friday, so all this will be gone by saturday again.

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

Last edited:
To be fair I can remember when I was in high school getting snow like this in October, so for late November I'll take it! Worst part is I'd love to float in a pool right about now LOL

Been a while, this winter has been a joke and I've been sick most of because it's 50 on Monday and 15 on Tuesday.. Slight progress the past week or so.
IMG_20170218_192116.jpg

First off.. IF you have a PR FMIC and switch to an ETS you might hate yourself as I did because where I had to cut my reinforcement bar to fit the PR FMIC is EXACTLY where my ETS one bolted to.. So I had to get a new rebar. @Michael Helsel I'll be heading down your way in late April, I'll bring the Rebar and PR fmic if you were still interested in it, dodges the cost of shipping.

ETS Intercooler bolted up nicely, small amount of fabrication but of course I didn't take any pictures of that. Fit's perfectly behind a completely stock rebar.
IMG_20170219_193615.jpg

Got that all together.. and started to work on this tonight. This picture was taken at 7:57pm
IMG_20170224_195153.jpg

And this one at 8:57
IMG_20170224_205545.jpg

Sometimes when I roll my sleeves up and stop complaining.. and have a lift to pick the car up a few feet off the ground so I don't have to bend over things seem to go faster. LOL

I got the v2 68hta out, swapped over my o2 housing and got the V1 68HTA ready to go in, installed some manifold studs and swapped my feed lines around, going from feeding from the OFH (recommended for v2 68hta) back to feeding it from the head (recommended for the v1 68hta since it is 16g based)

So here is where I ended up tonight before shutting the lights off since I walked around and swore for 15 minutes but still couldn't find my new turbo drain gaskets.
IMG_20170224_221957.jpg

I'll clean the RTV before everything comes back together, just got lazy towards the end. Although if you look closely you can see where I modified the PS bracket so that I don't have to pull it to get to that manifold stud.

@GST with PSI If you haven't swapped to EWG yet with your V2 I have an 8cm externally gated housing I'll pull off my v2 68hta with your name on it if you'd like to trade.

Next up? Cleaning. and finding these damn gaskets... I know I have them but WHERE. Am I the only one with that problem?

It's very frustrating when it happens at work because the cars can get crushed and new tools just.. disappear!

I found that gasket I lost. I was searching all around the eclipse.. never looked inside of it.

Did it again. Spent ten minutes wandering around searching for the second clamp to my wastegate.
IMG_20170226_212411.jpg

Well.. v2 68hta is out. v1 68hta is in.. I'll have logs soon, I still have some more work that needs to be done before I can turn the boost back up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back