The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

92 GST Stealing 14B record build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So this is how my day started. I will edit this when I ge a little more time. But I did run quite a bit yesterday and hit a couple more personal best at my local track.

The Density altitude was the highest I have yet to see. The temps where a good 71-76 degrees. But I pushed through and kept the car going.

Attachments

• broken axle.jpg
    broken axle.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 158
SO for saturday. I unload the car and get my WB calibrated. I then look at my weather station, and the DA is at 6400ft OMG. This is the highest i've seen it since I have been running the 14B. It was a bit discouraging knowing that the day was going to get a lot warmer. I say screw it lets get the car to hook. I make a pass and wasnt very happy with the MPH. [email protected]. Kinda low compared to last time but I guess that was expected with the DA being over 1000ft more than last time I was here. I go to make a second pass and right at the end of the burn out there was a hop then another hop then clunk. I roll forward and everything felt and sounded fine. I stage and hit the two step. As soon as I launch the car it spins and dives towards the left wall. Broken axle. I only brought one axle and it just happen to be the one I broke. Lucky day for me I guess.

I hang out for a bit and let the line of cars go down before I decide to start running again. I get in line and heres how the rest of the slips go.

60' 1.676 ET [email protected]
60' 1.646 ET [email protected]
60' 1.687 ET [email protected] I was playing with shift points here and went low on my first to second shift. So After this I decided it was time to raise my launxh limiter and drag out first a tad longer. Doing so gave me another personal best at the local track with ET, MPH, and 60'. All this with the DA at 6200-6400ft. My boost was low to only 21-22 psi dropping to 15 psi and holding there

Launch the car sounds so much better came out harder and ran

60' 1.631 ET [email protected]

Excited about the new change I let the car cool down to make one more pass. Of course it never goes that smooth. The wind came up and ripped my hood off the car. It was already weak at the hinges from flippin up on my other car. I felt it to be a waste to run with out a hood and packed up for the day.

Excited about how the car performed. I know with the right DA on this fwd trans the car will go 11.0 and maybe, if I can get the 60' times down it'll go 10.9. Not bad for high elevation.

I have a lot of things to address on the car. So I'll have more updates here on upgrades and getting the car to pass tech in sac. I want the car to 10.90 in fallon before making the long travel to sac. I know the car will do it and every change I have made has been in a positive movement forward.

It is a pan hard, not that too. That is the actual name of the part. Keep trucking with your record goals.

It is a pan hard, not that too. That is the actual name of the part. Keep trucking with your record goals.

Panhard rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a quick example. I know I've seen the term "Track bar" used other places to. Might have been suspension books I've read. Not trying to argue. Just show ya what I've seen to.

I'm a hardcore trucker thanks :thumb:

Another thing I forgot to mention. I made the switch to M&H tires from the M/T. Its hard to make a comparison since the M&H are an 8.5 tires and the M/Ts are 8" wide tires.

So i've always ran on the M/T tires both 26" and 24.5". Doing a burnout I would do it in second gear, two step the car and then let them spin. Now I could let these tires spin for awhile get some smoke and roll out of the box. They would have a slight grab once they where hot enough. I had my two-step set at 5000 with these and had them set at 7psi. Best 60' time was a 1.62. I ran them as low as 6.5psi on a cold track day. Only netted high 1.6 60' times

Now the M&H tires are a bit different. I set them at 7.5psi and would still do a second gear burnout. Now these things are sticky and heat up very fast. I would be holding the throttle like I do with the M/T and partway through the burnout the tires would get hot and grab then yank the car forward. For fwd and awd these things stick good. It got to the point I would not even use my ebrake and let the car roll out with some speed so it wouldnt yank so hard. I also had to raise my launch rpm a little bit. These tires where also more stable on the top end of the track when I let off. The M/T would wonder a little.

Im pretty sold on the M&H for my fwd. I think with more time and a little more work I could get the car to 60' in the 1.5s on the M&H tires. After raising the limiter I only got the one pass which was my 1.631 60'

Congrats on stepping up (or down) your times up at Fallon! Seeing your results is getting me more anxious to get back home and get to work on mine! I'll be back home in a couple weeks. Still going to be a while before mine is running though. I'm starting with basically a rolling shell! But she will get there eventually!!

Do you think the atmosphere dump on the exhaust is helping at all?

Do you think you would gain anything buy cutting the alternator for a full pass or maybe even the back half of the track when the turbo runs out of steam? I have heard of interrupting the signal wire on the alternator and it takes a significant amount of load off the motor.

Might be a dumb suggestion but figured id share

Do you think the atmosphere dump on the exhaust is helping at all?

I would put money on that, my 14B picked up both in spool and top-end without any other tuning. Additionally it leaned out across the map telling me it was moving noticeable more air.

Boost control was improved as well.

I will never run another recirculated waste-gate again. Noise be damned LOL

Do you think you would gain anything buy cutting the alternator for a full pass or maybe even the back half of the track when the turbo runs out of steam? I have heard of interrupting the signal wire on the alternator and it takes a significant amount of load off the motor.

Not dumb by any means, think of how much power all the accessories on the car are using.. then account for losses in generation and transmission. That is how much torque is required to spin the alternator and as a result is not used in transmitting forward motion.

In my case Brandon, if it made a difference it was a very small change. My boost was down a little from last time. 1-1.5psi. But I think that has more to do with the higher DA. My average mph was up quite a bit even with the higher DA. I know the tires helped that some. I switched from a big16G to an evo316G housing to before this race.

I'll go back and look at my logs to see what my airflow was across the board last time and what my boost settled to. This time I logged 30-31lb/min across the board. 21-22 psi dropping to 15.

Im sure ditching the alternator would free up some hp. I dont know if with my setup I would gain anything. The charge is 14.4V before and after the run during the run it drops to 14.0. Thats the highest I have seen it. Maybe it has to do with the underdrive pulley. If I wasnt running an electic fuel pump Im pretty sure I would ditch the alt and run a 16V setup.

I have made up in the tune where the turbo falls off. Been treating it like more of an N/A car.

My poor hood:( I do however plan on saving it and have some plans to put it to use. Its going to be a lot lighter to. Along with the I have a bunch of stuff that I am changing around before I take the car back out.

Lighter flywheel
Rebuilt AWD Trans
Flywheel shield
Taller slicks
Sheet metal dash
Heat wrap some stuff
Possibly a CNC handbrake
Different catch can setup

I'll keep updating as I get work done. Hopefully more pics of the stuff im doing to.

Attachments

• broke hood.jpg
    broke hood.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 142
  • hood latch.jpg
    hood latch.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 131
That hood is definitely fixable. Mine looked like that too when it decided to fly off the car and into a river. LOL
I got it all fixed up. Ill have pics of what I did here in a few days.

This things is awesome! Great job!!

Thank you :thumb:

Updates..................... well im finally switching the car over to the awd trans. Some pros about doing this is that I have a scatter shield that fits the car without modifying anything, I have dss awd stronger axles, I also get to play around with flywheel weight since I have 3 different awd flywheels. For the swap I needed to mount up some M/T 26"X8.5" slicks that I already had from running this trans setup before. I hope that they will stick enough to have the traction I had before with the M&H 24.5X8.5" tires. If the trans swap is a positive move forward I will be purchasing a pair of M&H 26X10" slick to get this car to cut really good 60' times.

I have a few pics of what I have been adding so far. I have a race this friday and still have the trans to fully assemble. If the awd swap proves, I am swapping in the E316G for a local shootout we are having. I have a great tune for that turbo that went 11.3@122 in a 2950lb awd car at our track. Id keep the 14b on for this event but it just wont be enough for some of the cars that will be attending. NOS is a very last resort thing to add to the car. I dont want it in the car until I break Joe Bs current record. Just want to keep it clean.

Attachments

• awd fidanza.jpg
    awd fidanza.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 125
  • shield test fit.jpg
    shield test fit.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 123
  • awd plug.jpg
    awd plug.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 127
You go right ahead and play with that 16g while I sneak up behind ya ;)

You saying your going to the track again soon??? Cause I'll have that 14B bolted right back on after our June 28th shootout. Who knows maybe I'll set the 16G no NOS record that night.

Things are looking good, I have a feeling that awd trans is going to play a large part in helping you pass Joe.

I think it is to. I have a really good grasp on how the cars been running. I'll know right away if its a step forward or back. I really hope that the DA will be less than 6400ft friday night. I'll have a bit more power to if so.

I know they are calculators and a bit of bench racing, but just for fun so here DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com Type in 6258DA (thats what it was for this run) The 1/4 ET was 11.146 and the mph was 123.64. Read what it calculates. Also remember that I did trap 126 in sacramento and now Ive managed to gain a couple mph at My high elevation track.

It is just a calculator, but you did gain 3 tenths (albeit with some other changes), last time you went to a proper track. I'd be willing to assume if you get to near sea level we won't be worrying about calling it "Joe's record" anymore. :D

I'm just screwing with ya on the whole competing with you thing. At this point the only person I'm going to chase is myself.

It is just a calculator, but you did gain 3 tenths (albeit with some other changes), last time you went to a proper track. I'd be willing to assume if you get to near sea level we won't be worrying about calling it "Joe's record" anymore. :D

After almost a decade I would like to say that to :thumb:

I'm just screwing with ya on the whole competing with you thing. At this point the only person I'm going to chase is myself.

Oh I knew you where. Give a jab take a jab. Im just screwing around to. So far your ahead of the other awd guys. Lets keep it that way ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back