The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

92 GST Stealing 14B record build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I did hit the track not long after my last post here. The night was another unsuccessful success. Nothing better than low 1.7s, nothing better than 11.5. Yikes cars getting slower right?? Well I did managed to tweak my tune some even thought the ETS were bad all night. I managed a good solid 2 mph gain from tuning. Im happy with the findings.

I sat the next week racking my brain trying to see what the heck is going wrong. Of course the DA was up again to 6700ft. But that's not my answer. I start doing some homework and I was doing a great enough job on this low of power on the fwd trans and tire combo. Its the only conclusion. I don't see there being a true 14mph difference between the 14b and the E316G on a nights weather conditions pretty much the same. The car did trap almost 124 on the fwd trans so now back to that I go.

Downfall is I sold the 2G fwd trans back to the original owner and have a couple options. First is hes swapping out his 91 trans for the 2G trans and I can get that. Downfall, small weak axles unless I can make my aftermarket awd ones work. Hes giving me the welded 2G diff for the bigger axles which brings up another problem, having a hard time finding some good stock 2G fwd axles. My only other option is to try and track down another 2G trans. Its just a matter of weeks before I head out to sacramento raceway. Im going to try and hit up the Test & Tune Oct 5th then hit the CMI race there the next weekend. I have a few more things that I have done to the car and will update those when I get all the pics loaded up.

Until then its a scramble to get the car done to finish off the season with a huge bang.

Got a little excited when this little toy came off the UPS truck today, I had to post. Looks like now I can get more data and really squeeze out all the power I can. Thanks to Brandon (1SloEvo), and South Grind Performance for getting this out so quick. :thumb:

Attachments

• AEM logger.jpg
    AEM logger.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 174
No problem Justin! Just hope you get some good info you can share with the rest of the 14b runners, which I'm pretty sure you will!!

Some of you already know, I reset the record. I updated the first page on my mod list and linked in the other thread with the record passes.

The 14B is still on the car and im making a few more changes and going to try some things out to see if I can get any more gains at the track on the 14B before I move on. As soon as the car is back together I have a Dyno all lined up and will be getting some numbers. Sad part is that its a mustang dyno. But it'll give me an idea of what I've been guessing at for the whole year.

I also have a ton of pics that I haven't had time to upload. If anyone wants to see anything special just ask and ill try to post up what I have.

Just read the whole thread, this seriously gives me so much for the little ole' 14B!

I really like your dedication sticker. People shouldnt have to die young.

Car looks great

Long story on that one. Was a good friend and I just happened to be there at the time.

I have a quaife 2g fwd LSD (big axle) with 0 miles on it if your interested..
Pm me

So far this welded diff is doing me pretty good. Just gotta know when to let off if sh!t hits the fan and I lose an axle LOL.

Just read the whole thread, this seriously gives me so much for the little ole' 14B!
And one day Ill clean up the thread and add a bunch more stuff. This tubo is incredible for how small it is.

Im saying 337hp on the dyno

I wish I would've got a chance to hit the dyno that weekend. Kinda got flaked on so I didn't get a chance. Maybe one day I will.

Bring that dyno down here to me. I'll get you on a dyno about 5 min from my house. I put a stock FWD Laser on there (down to the boost restrictor and the snorkel on the intake canister) and it put down 168whp and 173wtq in 3rd gear. Based on the factory specs, that's about an 11%~ish drivetrain loss, which sounds realistic to me on a FWD (similar to what I've seen on other chassis dynos..i.e. Mustang and DynoDynamics). In 4th gear it put down 178wtq. That thing did 140mph in 4th gear at 7k rpm! Talk about some killer topend!!!

Bring that dyno down here to me. I'll get you on a dyno about 5 min from my house. I put a stock FWD Laser on there (down to the boost restrictor and the snorkel on the intake canister) and it put down 168whp and 173wtq in 3rd gear. Based on the factory specs, that's about an 11%~ish drivetrain loss, which sounds realistic to me on a FWD (similar to what I've seen on other chassis dynos..i.e. Mustang and DynoDynamics). In 4th gear it put down 178wtq. That thing did 140mph in 4th gear at 7k rpm! Talk about some killer topend!!!

Im starting to think that my car wasn't ment to see a Dyno. Every time ive tried, its been a bust. Im not to worried about it. The tran sin my tow rig isn't looking so well so my trips will be limited until I get something figured out.

Can ya Get the dually going ?...if you got the weight and the trap speed its a good idea of your hp it shows 310-325 range depending on you weight

Can ya Get the dually going ?...if you got the weight and the trap speed its a good idea of your hp it shows 310-325 range depending on you weight

Ya I can get it going and I need to. It has some minor issues that need to be addressed. Since my green truck is vortech 2wd and my dually is TBI 4wd I want to combine the two when I get a chance. Just trying to find the time.

Car weighed in at 2060lbs and trapped 128.2 on my quickest run. Quick calculator says 338hp. Not to shabby. I wanted a real number but Ill just let my time slips do the talking.

so...I read where you installed the backpressure guage. Im wondering, how do you feel about your findings on that? A while back I saw someone talking about the construction/ installation of backpressure guage. I cant remember where I noticed it, but could you benefit from a larger housing? I just finished scrolling through this thread and awesome results on your project btw.

Car weighed in at 2060lbs and trapped 128.2 on my quickest run. Quick calculator says 338hp. Not to shabby. I wanted a real number but Ill just let my time slips do the talking.

Your times are definitely doing the talking! Nice work and keep on keepin' on! :hellyeah:

so...I read where you installed the backpressure guage. Im wondering, how do you feel about your findings on that? A while back I saw someone talking about the construction/ installation of backpressure guage. I cant remember where I noticed it, but could you benefit from a larger housing? I just finished scrolling through this thread and awesome results on your project btw.

Well to find the right pressure ratio, I haven't found that yet. The ratio is rather high for what you would find typical for most turbo cars. But as long as the ratio mimics my boost curve it seems to work for now. I have an 8cm housing and plan to give it a try sometime.

I know I broke the record by far but I have plans to to leave no stone unturned. My list of stuff to try is rather expensive. Its stuff that if I do it and I see gains they will benefit me later on down the road so its not money wasted. The only thing Im not going to do is switch over to air/water IC.

I know its been a min since I updated, life's been crazy and the car is sitting on jack stands still with no rear end in it. Ill try to get a day to get some pics of what's going on and update this thread as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back