The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

92 Eclipse GSX Auto_Quest for 10 second 1/4 mile

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtrej01

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 13, 2010
Granger, Washington
Ok, change of Plans, was going to build a auto 10 second beast but sold the 92 Auto I picked up and have since bought a 91 Talon AWD.

I bought a 91 Eagle Talon AWD for $1,500 in non running condition, the previous owner stated that it only needed a head gasket replaced. I told myself that worst case scenario (if the engine and or tranny was bad I could part the sucker out and make my money back as it came with a ETS Race FMIC with piping, GM Maf with translator, knock off evo 3 turbo with Megan racing exhaust manifold, eprom ecu, 18' wheel and tires.

So i bought it and began tearing it apart to do the head gasket job, I found that some of the valves were slightly bent so I decided to rebuild the head as I was already there. $380 later I had a freshly rebuilt head by a buddy of mine that owners Landa Performance here locally. Bought a Cometic head gasket and put it all back together.

After putting it all together it ran decent but encounter that one of the fuel injectors was leaking, so I searched my local Craigslist and found a guy near me selling some FIC 650's for $100. I went to his house to buy the injectors and found out he was selling a 91-94 Eprom ECU with V2 installed and he wanted only $200, so I bought if from him. This guy (no joke) had just about evrey part you can think of throughout his house powder coated as he is restoring his 1g talon, Nice! Well I ended up also buying a complete 4 bolt rear from him for $250 and a front strut bar powder coated black for $40.

I then sent in the Eprom ECU V2 to upgrade to Full V3 to Tom at ECM Tuning for $200. So got a good deal overall for a Ecu with V3 for only $400.

I have since installed the 4 bolt rear end. Wasn't to bad of a job to do by myself.

Next I sold the piping that came with the ETS FMIC with the maf a maf translator to a guy here on the forum that wanted the setup and then bought brand new ETS piping for $380 as I will be running Speed Density after it all gets put back together.

Next I sold the Knock off turbo setup to someone here on the forum for cheap and bought a real MHI EVO 3 freshly rebuilt form a member here on the forum for $380. Then picked up a new FP exhaust manifold for $200 from English Racing and a Hallman MBC for $60.

A bubby of mine here locally had a Areomotive FPR for sale and picked it up for $135

Next I needed some new AEM boost and A/F wideband gauges so Gave my autometer gauges away to a member her on the forum and found some brand new AEM boost and A/F wideband gauges for $275 on the Evo X forum.

Next i decided I would find a JMF SMIM and found one being sold by a member here on the forum and picked it up for $400

So that leave me to today 3/28/2013, here is what is left to get it all finished up:

Install new turbo setup
install new JMF SMIM
Install fuel pump rewire kit on the Walbro 255
install the AEM gauges
install new piping
install new V3 ECU

Hopefully I can finish the above list this weekend

Car will still need a tune and the speed density setup install and will all be done down at English Racing....SOON I hope.

Head rebuilt with new valves-$380
Cometic Head Gasket-$75
Fic 650 injectors-$100
Eprom ECU V2-$200
4 bolt rear- $250
Front Strut bar- $40
ECM V3 Upgrade- $200
ETS FMIC piping- $380
Evo 3 Turbo- $380
FP Exhaust manifold- $200
Hallman MBC- $60
Areomotive FPR- $135
AEM Boost and A/F wideband- $275
JMF SMIM- $400

Attachments

• Talon1.jpg
    Talon1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 145
  • Talon2.jpg
    Talon2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Doing the HG Job.jpg
    Doing the HG Job.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Thanks for the support guys. I will have to use my time wisely as I work Monday thru Friday and will only have weekend to work on it and an occasional night during the week.

Updated, change of plans, going to do a Daily drive beast. Read first post to see what all has been done what I purchased to get this accomplished.

Here are a few pics of Parts Ive picked up and how the engine bay looks now.

Attachments

• AEM gauges.jpg
    AEM gauges.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 132
  • EVO 3 turbo.jpg
    EVO 3 turbo.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 144
  • engine bay now.jpg
    engine bay now.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 192
So got lots done this past weekend.

Had my Valve Cover Powder coated by a guy here local with a illusion blue color.

Fixed a few bolt hole that had stripped threads.

Installed the turbo system.

Did the Fuel pump rewire.

Installed the JMF SMIM.

Eliminated the ABS system.

Did the Cruise control delete.

Wired in the AEM Boost and A/F Gauges.

Attachments

• 91 Talon1.jpg
    91 Talon1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 91 Talon2.jpg
    91 Talon2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 119
  • abs removal.jpg
    abs removal.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 169
  • VC1.jpg
    VC1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 139
  • vc2.jpg
    vc2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 128
How was the abs delete? I am about to do it on my car. I plan to cut the old lines out and replace them with non abs lines and prop valve from the junkyard. It looks so complex but simple at the same time.

How was the abs delete? I am about to do it on my car. I plan to cut the old lines out and replace them with non abs lines and prop valve from the junkyard. It looks so complex but simple at the same time.

Actually only took me 30 minutes to do. I had the intake manifold off already so it made it so much easier.

I just cut the old lines out. Much easier than trying to sliding them out. After all was connected had to bleed the brakes. Had my bro-in law help me do that.

Good luck doing the abs delete.

Cool valve cover buddy!

And nice 1ga. You know how to pick'em :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back