The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

92 Eagle Talon awd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please bare with me, this car has been stored for 10 years after it jumped timing and just finally came home. Im also still finishing my shop and sorting out all my extra parts. Been planning this restoration for a long time. Also hope to add some personal touches of my own design .

Ok everyone, I did state that this car has been sitting in storage for 10 years after jumping time in my driveway. This car has never left me stranded along the road. That being said when you see the current pictures the statement of being a bad Daddy will make sense. Its originally a Michigan car so as hard as you may try, salt usually rears its ugly head and this case is no different. First I'm going to post some pics of the things I stashed away knowing these cars pretty well.

20220801_193318.jpg

20220801_193315.jpg

20220801_193224.jpg

20220801_193138.jpg

20220801_193135.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, going to drive home and get to work on this post. Stepped out for dinner but I couldn't wait to get this started. Bare with me....

Ok, I wont cheat on posts so here we go. Guess I should give you background as quick as possible so you see I'm just as crazy as the rest of you dsmers reading this. I have had tons of different cars in all my years from a 64 F85 Cutlass with a 215 aluminum buick v8 to a 2016 mercedes c300 sport I took to dinner among MANY OTHERS. If you get the chance to drive either cars take advantage! In the pics are interesting points of the 300. Im not bragging , there is a reason for pointing out some things that will be revealed later. It has 27 computers controlling everything from the sport/ economy modes and the agility control buy that crazy looking mouse wheel on the center console. Features I never dreamed of like paddle shift on the steering wheel controlling the 7 speed trans and the owners manual which can be studied from the drivers seat, not while driving cause you might loose your place. Lol
Anyhow its a 2.5 L TURBO! Yes it says 160mph on the speedo and after we got the car there's no doubt in my mind... If anyone does doubt feel free to stop by, I always have time to go for a ride.

20220801_214449.jpg

20220801_214346.jpg

20220801_214258.jpg

20220801_212902.jpg

20220621_191657.jpg

20220801_212908.jpg

20220801_214539.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, bet your seeing why after my first dsm there was no hope for me! And the first dsm shootout I attended ... well lets just say if the wife wouldn't kill me I'd trade that Mercedes for a 1gb in boxes in a hot minute! (Please don't test that statement I like sleeping in the house) On to the point, between getting use to the 300 and seeing the pictures of the interior of a Tesla , with Dsmlink v3 im going to use a laptop monitor and build a computer for this car before the project is done and mount the screen in the console like the Tesla! They make a driver board to transform a laptop screen into a regular monitor for under 30 bucks. I have a degree in electronics , 3d printer, mills and lathes ect. Besides the fact I guess I dont consider these cars that complicated anymore. (And I can afford a rolling potential BOMB of lithium)

Sorry, on to the bad Daddy statement .(have you noticed yet I will amaze you or amuse you?) 10 years of storage were not kind. Pictures leave no doubt. Besides realizing the one area I was unsuccessful in removing the salt (has anyone seen my rockers?? I cant seem to find them) it was also home to a squirrel or 2 whom also used the passenger rear floor board for a restroom. I didnt bother taking pictures so dont bother looking. :oops:

So out of the multiple things I've done to a dsm, ill be welding in some rockers. The car was undercoated but the 1gb talon has full side skirts as many know so guess it was overlooked. Unless I come across a shell with a sunroof (cause I didnt drag the factory removable air deflector around with me for 10 years to throw it away now) its another task added to the list. Btw, the passenger rocker is Slightly worse.

20220801_194323.jpg

20220801_194412.jpg

20220801_194416.jpg

Once I clear the bay that my poor baby is going to be in, the total dismantling of this old girl will begin! I promise to do my best to spend more time in the future adding more pictures as progressing and less long winded if possible. Next pics may even be the rest of the parts I have stashed in totes once I locate them. Im sure there is more cause I haven't found the original bov which is unsquashed. Feel free to ask any questions other than "why are you doing this???" Cause I fully intend to be buried in this car, whether natural causes or brake failure!

Let me get some opinions.... Been told I need to name her so was thinking.... wait for it... "Mitzu-Ghini". Too much?? " Terms for divorce " seemed kinda long.🤣🤣

As much as I really like that Name, at my age I've learned not to use female names for your car. And the dsm community is one that understands if its not your current wife's name... We tend to have the car longer.🤣🤣 refer to #8 "terms for divorce"

Ok, going to drive home and get to work on this post. Stepped out for dinner but I couldn't wait to get this started. Bare with me....

Ok, I wont cheat on posts so here we go. Guess I should give you background as quick as possible so you see I'm just as crazy as the rest of you dsmers reading this. I have had tons of different cars in all my years from a 64 F85 Cutlass with a 215 aluminum buick v8 to a 2016 mercedes c300 sport I took to dinner among MANY OTHERS. If you get the chance to drive either cars take advantage! In the pics are interesting points of the 300. Im not bragging , there is a reason for pointing out some things that will be revealed later. It has 27 computers controlling everything from the sport/ economy modes and the agility control buy that crazy looking mouse wheel on the center console. Features I never dreamed of like paddle shift on the steering wheel controlling the 7 speed trans and the owners manual which can be studied from the drivers seat, not while driving cause you might loose your place. Lol
Anyhow its a 2.5 L TURBO! Yes it says 160mph on the speedo and after we got the car there's no doubt in my mind... If anyone does doubt feel free to stop by, I always have time to go for a ride.

View attachment 669091

View attachment 669092

View attachment 669093

View attachment 669094

View attachment 669095

View attachment 669098

View attachment 669099
I can attest it is a fun car. I actually rented one while we were in Europe earlier this year and drove it through some country roads in Luxembourg, Belgium, France and Germany. Handled pretty good and pickup was nice. I still kept saying to the wife “damn these roads would be fun in the Talon.” She got tired of hearing it.

As much as I really like that Name, at my age I've learned not to use female names for your car. And the dsm community is one that understands if its not your current wife's name... We tend to have the car longer.🤣🤣 refer to #8 "terms for divorce"
-cough- bye Felicia

Im starting to think we should start a list of rules like Gibbs had from NCIS.
We inherited the 300 cause obviously I would have never spent that sticker price with a broken Talon in the driveway. Tbo I can imagine the banks reply to the loan request, " Says here you own a dsm..... sorry sir your high risk!"🤣🤣🤣

But, honestly looking at others profiles I realized we tend to have nice cars. Gotta have something to drive while waiting for PARTS!:oops:

And the worst part of this build will not be finding the parts, worst will be convincing ups that my house actually exists (house was built in 1897).
Ask Lambiablo, hes trying to convince them today that my address is correct.

Main goal is to set the car up for autocross/ Street car and continue to drive this car for years to come. Many years working in a full service shop , alignments, suspension, engines brakes ect this job is going to be a little more difficult due to fabrication and design. Paint will be unique hopefully but still blackberry affect with bit of red metallic. Hope looks black at night but in daylight subtle red accent. Also grew up with best whos dad had a body shop. And had schooling in autobody.. basically I hope to do everything short of the machine work. Surface head and block are above my pay grade

Build consists of.

Engine: 4g63t possibly 8:1 comp ratio. Low end/ mid torque
Go to straight cut or gears, new balance shift elim to freshen her up
Girdle
Arp everything
Possibly Act flywheel
Stroker is a maybe cause there's no local performance machine shops close by.
Block and head decked
All normal upgrades to the vavle train
272 exhaust /264 intake cams. (I like the combo,)
Trans:
Open and inspection.
Basically no idea cause it always shifted fine.
Be nice to update some forks so TBD
Centerfold dual friction puck unless updated FW reacts different
Pressure plate may have options
New Master and slave

BRAKES:
Cobra calipers front and rotors
Braided lines
Rear brake (TBD) still researching
Slotted rotors only.
Ceramic pads (also TBD)
New hardliners
3g master cylinder

Suspension: (The fun section!! )
Kyb adjustable
Eibach lower springs and sway bar bushing thanks to @dsmmario
Custom tubular rear arms and pan hard ect.
Convert the rear to all adjustable geometry (i like Volks stuff!)

Eibach springs.jpg

Some eye candy. I'll have the sportline stance.

Renew all chassis bushings and basis steering components.

Last edited:
Shoutout to

@dsmmario

And @Lambiablo

all the parts have arrived really fast and its like dsm Christmas. Now to look for a good 6bolt 1g head. And gets some ideas on what the turbo will cost.

Last edited:
Scored another great deal, picked up front and rear braided brake lines. 2g lines for the front conversion!

I'm enjoying the enthusiasm, and eagerness to get started. I have 2. one that I could put the motor back in and fire up, but while it is out I'm going to do some maintenence on it. The other well it'll be a few years still, hope to have it in the body shop by years end. Going to completely redo the car inside outside top to bottom. Biggest issue....time. stupid time. Our biggest enemy TIME. But I'll get there. Any who, enjoying the read and posts, and look forward to more.

As most dsmers know, the faster you slap it together the faster its back in the garage. The old double edge sword. They are a great car and allot of fun to drive. Guess it comes down to those facts that drive a person to dive deeper.
The Evo proved to me the platform can have power and be reliable. Having as much experience with building and restoration as ive been fortunate enough to have this is a quest to bring it back to like new and enjoy it.
Make some improvements along the way with and end result of a slightly unique sports car that I would happily drive every day.
Aside from digging out all my saved parts I've been a little busy adding more storage areas. Picked up a 30x40 tent style building we have been assembling this week. Planning on covering with tin later but for now it will do. The 30x50 shop will soon be receiving a bridge port mill, hydraulic bender and a 6ft lathe so the extra space helps. Wish the Mississippi heat would tapper off some but gotta keep pressing on.
Hoping to have some great pics as the shop transforms into a dsm operating room and this build gets underway. Stay tuned folks!

20220806_122104.jpg

20220806_175851.jpg

20220806_175932.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back