The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

92 6 or 7 bolt configuration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgold87

Proven Member
Nov 20, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Whats up all. I needed some new exhaust manifold studs for my 92 I'm restoring and while looking I noticed I need the studs for a 7 bolt (two large studs on end, the rest smaller)

So I'm curious did Eagle put 7 bolts heads on a 6 bolt? Did someone put a 7 bolt head on? (I doubt this as car is bone stock) or am I am unlucky 92 owner with a 7 bolt?

Pics attached:

Attachments

• 20201227_204144.jpg
    20201227_204144.jpg
    984.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20201227_202840.jpg
    20201227_202840.jpg
    728.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201227_193641.jpg
    20201227_193641.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Looks like a 6 bolt going off the faq oil pan guide. Top is flat where it meets block and if running my hand down the front under the crank it protrudes out a bit.

So after some reading it appears I have a 1g 7 bolt head on a 6bolt block. Now, who knows if the studs were drilled out like they should have been.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about running this as far as future mods?

Probably using 7 bolt head bolts too.
No problems running a 7 bolt, they just aren't quite as beefy in the connecting rods department. Still a good motor. Mod as you prefer.

Probably using 7 bolt head bolts too.
No problems running a 7 bolt, they just aren't quite as beefy in the connecting rods department. Still a good motor. Mod as you prefer.
If the op is 6 bolt block they have to be 6 bolt studs/bolts.
Op it is also conceivable somebody put on a new manifold and changed those two outer studs to match. Do you have a 1g or 2g exhaust manifold?
You won't know unless you check more definitive markers.

:ohdamn: Duh, what a brain fart.
Thanks Paul!

Yesterday I told the OP in a Facebook group that if the head has two M10 studs at the corners, seven M8 studs and a 1g style thermostat housing, he has a 6 bolt block w/ a 1g 7 bolt head or a 6 bolt head with 2 studs that possibly replaced by the previous owner.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back