The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

91 to 90 swap questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezell4G63

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2002
Prairieville_Louisiana
I bought a 1991 AWD Talon. The motor was just rebuilt, new turbo etc..
I want to swap this motor, ecu etc..into my 1990 AWD. The only reason for this is that the 91 has a not so good body, but my 1990 has an excellent body with no motor. How hard would this swap be. What part of the electrical system to I have to swap because I heard that the 1990 are different. Thanks

[email protected]

The car you have is identical provided it's a Talon as well. You should find no problem with the switch. Just indicate the model year of the engine versus the year of the car and make sure all the codes match perfectly! If a problem occurs you won't be in a bag later on.

Originally posted by dsmbob
The car you have is identical provided it's a Talon as well.

Not nessicarily... the 90 and 91 have different plug-ins for the coil pack, transistor, tach transistor(on the underside of the intake bracket), CAS, TPS, ICS and I think that thase it. But as long as you just swap out the coil, transistors and the throttle bodie, you'll be fine.

Steve. :talon: :laser: :dsm:

Yea, I will basically be pulling the complete motor from the 91 and dropping itstraight into the 90. Would I need to swap use the coil pack, transistor, tach transistor, CAS, TPS, ICS, from the 90 model or swap the plug-ends from the 91 to the 90? Thanks

Every thing needs to match i.e. you have a 90 car, you need to have all the 90 components to match the wiring harness. Also you need to change the oil cooler!!!! the 90 has the radiant cooler, and the 91 has a liquid cooler. The 90 radiant cooler IMO is a better set-up.

Steve. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back