The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 91 fwd tsi intermediate shaft and axle mod vs lsd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsm panda

5+ Year Contributor
Dec 8, 2017
Franklin, Wisconsin
Hey on the fence if I should go for a lsd or do the equal halfshafts. I have horrible wheelspin in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Car has about 340hp at the wheels (was dyno tested before I purchased the car i have the sheet in the car).
Basicly I wanna know is does anyone out there have the equal halfshafts in a fwd and did it dramaticly reduce torq steer because as it is the car will go straight for the curb or ditch if I get on it at low speeds. I wanna know should I go lsd or axles.

The FWD diff is an open differential. Even with equal length half shafts you will still be puting power down to only 1 tire. A LSD put power down to both tires. You will get a lot less torque steer with a LSD.

I plan to do both eventually i was just hoping the half shaft would make a big difference while i saved for an lsd. Does he have an lsd? If not you should ask how noticeably better it was for me my hope was to hear from some one who did the half shaft mod but had an open dif.

The axle thingy will not make much of a difference while the power is only being transmitted to one tire at any given time. The axles really have little to do with torque steer. Torque steer is the result of the offset between the center of the tire's contact patch (pivot point) & the steering knuckle axis of rotation.

Yes I have come across that thread as well. The issue, or not issue, I have not experienced it myself, is a brother in Florida says he tried an intermediate shaft in his setup, the shaft fits in the tranny but the bearing bracket doesn't line up with the block. Which I find odd. He doesn't recall what year his tranny is. He may have a 92+ year tranny which may be causing the misalignment.
Both my CSM (2g and 3g) have the same bracket but use the respective year stock CSM axle.
I wonder if there are different bearing brackets for the intermittent shaft. I need to keep searching to kill my curiosity.

Btw, my 88 Colt has a 90 6 bolt block with 90 fwd tranny with b&m LSD insert and equal length shafts. I still get one wheel peel sometimes, the insert definitely helped, but I would advise that for the labor, don't bother with an lsd insert, if the tranny is apart anyway just install a true lsd.
I've never experienced different length shafts, so can't comment on how much equal length shafts help.

Yes I have come across that thread as well. The issue, or not issue, I have not experienced it myself, is a brother in Florida says he tried an intermediate shaft in his setup, the shaft fits in the tranny but the bearing bracket doesn't line up with the block. Which I find odd. He doesn't recall what year his tranny is. He may have a 92+ year tranny which may be causing the misalignment.
Both my CSM (2g and 3g) have the same bracket but use the respective year stock CSM axle.
I wonder if there are different bearing brackets for the intermittent shaft. I need to keep searching to kill my curiosity.

Btw, my 88 Colt has a 90 6 bolt block with 90 fwd tranny with b&m LSD insert and equal length shafts. I still get one wheel peel sometimes, the insert definitely helped, but I would advise that for the labor, don't bother with an lsd insert, if the tranny is apart anyway just install a true lsd.
I've never experienced different length shafts, so can't comment on how much equal length shafts help.
there are multiple year intermediate shafts and brackets. If I recall the differences are 1g/2g/manual and auto. So pick 1g auto or manual or 2g auto or manual. Shouldn't matter if you put a 2g trans in a 1g (for those reading). Pick the bracket and shaft for the car first, then manual or auto if I recall correctly. Mitsu ASA or CAPS lookup will tell you quite quickly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back