The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

91 eclipse turbo questions , its my 1st turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravityforce

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2002
Avondale, Arizona
Just purchased a 91 eclipse turbo, the car is all stock , heres my question , when the car is idling should the boost guage read -7 or should it be at 0 ? mine says -7 . Also when its under a load the boost guage rises all the way to 14 psi pretty fast , is this normal ? I know the turbos working fine cause you can feel it but the guage reading 14 psi worrys me . whats the normal boost level for a stock dsm ? the most important question is if I keep driving my car with the boost at 14 psi will this mess up my engine ? :dsm: :confused:

When at idle you should be at -7 vacuum. The factory boost guage is not at all acurate and i would suggest getting an aftermarket guage to check what the actual boost pressure is.

Stock psi is somewhere around 8 so know way it is at 14 and the stock guage sux get an autometer boost guage!

Originally posted by gravityforce
so are you saying my guage is not working properly ? how hard to install after market guage?:dsm:

Its no problem just a couple wires and a hose

Oh and driving at 14 psi shouldn't kill your engine. Have you experienced fuel cut yet, if not i'll be suprised. Assuming that you really get to 14psi

Originally posted by talongod
Stock psi is somewhere around 8 so know way it is at 14 and the stock guage sux get an autometer boost guage!

HUH? on the gauge or actual?

1G's stock boost is about 12 psi, not 8.

2G's stock boost is about 14, but the stock BOV sucks so you really only see 12

Just to back up the point - get a real boost gauge.

"14" on the stock gauge means "whoa, we're doing some work here" and not much else. I used to toy with the idea of pulling my dash apart, removing the needle and using a black laundry marker to cover over the printing.

Now it's an O2 sensor gauge instead. Thanks Todd!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back