The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

91 Eclipse GSX - Project "CleanX"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDGDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 16, 2008
Hampton, Virginia
Hey guys hows it going? Ive been a member on here for a little while, i've had quite a few dsm's in my day. Here is the UBER clean 91 gsx i picked up in March 2012, with only 81,668 original miles when i got it. When I purchased it, it had a new stock rebuilt 6 bolt long block, new clutch and flywheel, K&N drop in filter, and new meagan exhaust. Other then that its completely stock. Been garaged since 2008, and only had 6,000 miles put on it since then. Interior is immaculate and the cleanest i've ever seen on a dsm. Right now I just finished up the last but of my 9 month deployment. Last deployment for the next 3 years. So I decided to go ahead and start a build journal to cover this cars transformation. I love to keep my 1g's clean. This car will be no different. My plans for it right now are keep it at around 450hp that way i'm happy with the speed side of it and it will make quick passes down the track but not so overpowered where I end up breaking things when i'm driving around on the street. I believe there aren't enough clean well balanced 1g's on the road. Far to many are falling behind due to people who don't understand DSM's and just throw cheap parts and lots of boost at them to see what happens. Below are the pictures from the day I drove her home.
DSCN4311.jpg

DSCN4313.jpg

DSCN4308.jpg

DSCN4315.jpg

With every other DSM I usually started with just buying motor parts first and foremost. This time I have chosen to take a different route, and start building this DSM like I would build a house, From the ground up. So for Starters I decided to go ahead and get new outer tie rod ends, sway bar end links, front lower control arms, ksport coilovers, adjustable rear control arms, new front and rear subframe bushings, new mustache brace bushings, some brand new STR 510 16x7 wheels and re-using my BFgoodrich Traction TA's for DD purposes.
parts_zps9a44493c.gif

I spent about a day swapping out all the suspension parts(with the exception of the bushings and the rear control arms due to waiting for a 4 bolt rear end swap later), and getting the ride height I wanted and softness of the suspension dialed in. Got the wheels and tires mounted and balanced and installed.
9046ef08-a183-4dce-a1c5-433514d7e973_zps3d38c85a.jpg

Meanwhile I installed the drilled and slotted rotors, new brake pads and painted the calipers red.
4674e955-fb08-4c9b-8e38-413d5dfe80ac_zpsadf52343.jpg

20130404_140237_zpsf94e7254.jpg

20130404_140249_zps98f86c36.jpg

Now that most of the suspension work is complete until I get to Great Lakes, IL in August. Ive decided to go ahead and try to get started a little with the motor. Currently I have a new VRSF fmic kit ready to go on, an abs delete kit, as well as a Magnus SMIM. Those progress pics should be soon to follow.
fmic_zpsf8aa896b.gif

smim_zpse4cd6885.gif

That's my basic start to this Project I hope you all like it. I am very active so stay tuned.

Last edited:
Love those rims on the 1G! Great start to your build. I just started doing something similar with my 2G. Got her all cleaned up and decided to fix and refresh everything other than high HP mods, though those are coming. Jealous of your total suspension work, but I'm catching up.

Very clean 1G...would have bought that in a heartbeat with those miles and that crisp.

Well I looked for a few months before I bought this one. Drove about 2 hours and then it matched everything he said which was a first for me when it came to DSM's. Wasn't about to let it get away. Well once I find a 4 bolt rear and subframe it will be cleaned up painted and have my new bushings installed prior to it going into the car. That wont happen until after I get to Great Lakes in august though.

Plans for this weekend include the VRSF front mount install, the Magnus intake install, and the abs delete. A lot of work but if I get started early enough I should be good to go.
b29960fa-f395-4263-abc5-d9c0e85b28f7_zpsf692b47f.jpg

c4be0563-bc2b-4c02-ab3b-7c37a20cd89b_zpsdb91e7c4.jpg

Digging the color of your DSM!

Also the wheels look real good on it. Do you know how much they weigh?

Whats your suspension set up? Looks great with the 16s.

He says quote, "So for Starters I decided to go ahead and get new outer tie rod ends, swap bar end links, front lower control arms, ksport coilovers, adjustable rear control arms, new front and rear subframe bushings, new mustache brace bushings, some brand new STR 510 16x7 wheels and re-using my BFgoodrich Traction TA's for DD purposes. "

Looks good,can't wait till you move over here so we can take a cruise.

Wheels weigh about 21lbs each. Not the lightest in the world or the heaviest. But i like the look they have i like the stance of the car so I'm happy with both combined. FMIC, Magnus intake and abs delete may be this weekend. We will see. Maybe my adj rear control arms to get rid of the negative camber in the back. Depends on weather and my kids.

Boosted6 i cant wait to get up there. A guy on chitown has a cf hatch for sale i'm going to look into getting as well as a CF hood and in October should be lots of motor work going on for the go fast to go with the looks. I will also be having some touch ups done to the paint before i make it up there. A couple imperfections i want taken care of around the bottom, side skirts, and fenderwell areas.

Well I was about 20 minutes from starting the installs this weekend but I decided to get the thermal gasket for the new Magnus intake. Well while waiting on that I sent the FMIC(end tanks were the focus) and intake to get polished by a local DSMer. Man did he come through for me. Got these back today.
20130415_182652_zps1271ac01.jpg

20130415_182824_zpsdb1111b7.gif

20130415_182818_zps7dc9dd02.gif

Thanks to whoever messed up the shipping on my gasket. I wasn't able to do the intake manifold, abs delete, and fmic kit. I daily drive my car and my new ballast came in so I went out and installed the HID's instead of just sitting here. Ran into the first issue with them a week ago when I got what I thought was a bad ballast. Well after a little bit of troubleshooting I tacked down my non-working passenger side light to a bad ground connection on that side. So i fixed that and finally got them both to light up. Holy Crap the difference!!!
ff972f31-4128-435c-9a48-be48f3acaeb5_zps437e8595.gif

d2427e4f-3494-4f59-a63e-d66a67e6adb2_zps30bed193.gif

One of the cleanest 1ga I've ever seen with a bad ass colour. I got a dark blue 1ga talon but must be a different blue?

What did you do to your headlights to be able to use HIDs in them? Did you get the conversion housing and add some HIDs from there or what? I'm thinking of going that route, along with some driving lights since I do most of my driving on back roads. (Tons of fun BTW) LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back