The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

91 Dodge Colt Vista wagon 4g63B to 4g63 DOHC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cola

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 24, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Yo DSM'rs,

its time finally time to swap over my single cam 4g63B to dohc. I have a few donor 4g63 dohc n/t engines and plenty of parts. Its a 91 chariot/ space wagon/ dodge colt vista

Question-
My 1g ECU with link plugs and plays into the stock wire harness but the 4g63b is distributed. Does anyone have experience with changing from distributed SOHC 4G63B(Not 4g64) to DOHC 4g63?

Timing components seems to line up, if anyone can chime in to see if I am missing anything.

The goal is to setup a nice running DOHC N/T so the car doesn't sit on jackstands while I build another 4g63t.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey there! Love to see more vistas with 4G63 swaps. I'm one of the guys doing the turbo 4g63 swap on youtube.

I'm not sure if it helps you, but we plan to actually use a 2g ecu and do a harness merge.
But what you could do is, piggyback the ignition trigger wires through the harness on a couple wires for something that's been deleted (like emissions) and wire up a PTU just like a dsm.

Here is the PTU wiring for a 2g PTU:
pin 1: blue-black (output to fire cyl 2,3 coil's primary)
pin 2: brown-red (input from ECU to fire cyl 2,3)
pin 3: black (ground)
pin 4: white (tach output to ECU and gauge)
pin 5: unused
pin 6: larger black-white (+12V from ignition switch)
pin 7: black-blue (input from ECU to fire cyl 1,4)
pin 8: black-white (output to fire cyl 1,4 coil's primary but leaves coil as blue-red going to single pin "engine speed detection connector", then from there to pin 8 here as black-white)

So if you look at that, you just need to wire this into your system and the dsm coils should work.

Any reason to use a 2g harness over a 1g guys? Interesting thread for sure!

We're doing a 2g ecu/ecuplugs, but merging it into the vista harness to keep the routing through the body nice.

The reason for the 2g ecu is I had one with link laying around already, for tuning, I like the 2g knock sensor better, ECU fan control, and more I/O than a 1g.

We were already gonna have to do most of the same modifications to run a 1g ecu, so why not run a 2g for the benefits I just listed.

Well thought out!!! :thumb:

Hey there! Love to see more vistas with 4G63 swaps. I'm one of the guys doing the turbo 4g63 swap on youtube.

I'm not sure if it helps you, but we plan to actually use a 2g ecu and do a harness merge.
But what you could do is, piggyback the ignition trigger wires through the harness on a couple wires for something that's been deleted (like emissions) and wire up a PTU just like a dsm.

Here is the PTU wiring for a 2g PTU:
pin 1: blue-black (output to fire cyl 2,3 coil's primary)
pin 2: brown-red (input from ECU to fire cyl 2,3)
pin 3: black (ground)
pin 4: white (tach output to ECU and gauge)
pin 5: unused
pin 6: larger black-white (+12V from ignition switch)
pin 7: black-blue (input from ECU to fire cyl 1,4)
pin 8: black-white (output to fire cyl 1,4 coil's primary but leaves coil as blue-red going to single pin "engine speed detection connector", then from there to pin 8 here as black-white)

So if you look at that, you just need to wire this into your system and the dsm coils should work.
awesome. Did you have any issues with the b's crank gear or oil pump cover fitting the new belt?

Yeah we actually had to use all of the DOHC timing components. That'll be in either the next video, or the one after that, if you want to see video of what we did.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back