The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

91 AWD Black Cherry Talon Turbo Compound

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrussell

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2008
coeur d' alene, Idaho
I started this adventure about two years ago. I bought a 91 AWD Talon with a Auto from Trevor Holland.
photo4_zps721ea821.jpg
I drove it around with a tired engine running a 16g for the first year then I decided to build a engine and paint the car Black Cherry and make it a Shep look alike.
photo26_zps244702a8.jpg
photo22_zps96650539.jpg
Nothing special just a stock rod 1g piston with file fit rings and a fresh head with some mild porting.
photo27_zps7c73efc2.jpg
photo32_zps01ed0e45.jpg
My home brew ring filer.LOL
photo30_zps64a695ec.jpg
I always loved the way Sheps 91 Talon looked so I decided to make a clone.
Sheps Car.
0401_HRDP_01_z_TALON_zpsddea03c6.jpg
So I started with painting the engine compartment.
DP 90LF Sealer
photo13_zpsa69bd549.jpg
Black Cherry with Clear coat.
photo15_zps218dff29.jpg
photo35_zps91339712.jpg
Body and Paint pics.
photo46_zpsa64865ac.jpg
photo45_zpsf2e035f3.jpg
photo47_zps4314a3cd.jpg
photo1_zps7cf1fd98.jpg
Black Cherry Base Coat
photo2_zpsd2cc2cf8.jpg
Clear Coat
photo4_zps4470f115.jpg
Sanding and Buffing
photo50_zps8744f551.jpg
photo59_zps6541b9b1.jpg
photo55_zps4cd8a5e8.jpg
All buffed out.
photo57_zps4449e7cc.jpg

OK now that the car is starting to look the part I decided to do something a little bit different. I have been following Paul's turbo compound thread for a while and love the idea of going with a compound system myself. Then after seeing what Kevin Jewer has done I had to go this route. So I started making my 13g/FP Red mid mount turbo compound system.

DNP Manifold with a Tial 44mm waste gate by pass to the RED.

photo2_zps974ba027.jpg

Tilton pump for mid mount Red.

43a727ff-8442-4e12-8844-b50434d33ec8_zps514c3593.jpg

Keep in mind these are just temporary charge pipes to get it car up and running the permanent ones will be one piece solid units.

IMG_0824_zps5ae7adff.jpg

IMG_0823_zpsf6febcb7.jpg

In the pic above you can see the charge pipe from under the car that's feeding the 13g from the mid mount FP Red turbo outlet. Secondary flex pipe at the rear also.

Charge pipe under the car connecting the 13g to the Red.

IMG_0684_zps2e35bbbf.jpg

OK this is where it gets a little strange. LOL

I'm having a good friend build me a aluminum turbo box that will house the FP Red turbo and low pressure inter-cooler. This will be vented from the floor and some air will go through the inter-cooler and exit, and some air will feed the FP Red turbo.

newbottomflowout_zps26421e3d.jpg

Mock up of the box.

IMG_0820_zps04f25fdd.jpg

I checked to see if there will be any blind spots and sitting in the car looking through the rear view mirror you don't even see the box.

Today I got my wheels and tires. Now I'm waiting on my coil overs so I can drop the car down about 2".

IMG_0830_zpsedgbyrup.jpg

IMG_0832_zps88wogamf.jpg

Update:
Final fit on the turbo box.

IMG_0833_zpsf60bwldq.jpg
IMG_0835_zps8jcnktkk.jpg

IMG_0841_zpsp8rzmhiq.jpg

IMG_0842_zpsv09tolwv.jpg

Now I will drop it back by the welders tomorrow and have him finish welding it up.

Next I will purchase a CO monitor from Sata #SAT X144 just for extra precautions.
SATX144_zpslr9xwfaq.jpg

Sweet idea, that 13G is so tiny.

Thanks!!!
I did some testing early this year and this combination makes instant boost.LOL
Here's a pic with the cover not installed. There is a divider between the intercooler and hot side of the turbo that's not shown.
IMG_0867_zps51em0gmn.jpg
Another pic of where the N2O bottle will go and vacuum pump. The 3 gallon tank is for road use only. I will write about it later.
IMG_0879_zpshqlawo7r.jpg
Under hood pic with the new D2 installed. The 13g charge pipe is just a temp to get it running. I'm having a one piece aluminum made.
IMG_0880_zpspis05vwl.jpg

Update:
Finished my Low Pressure Turbo to High Pressure Turbo Charge Pipe today. This is the 3rd one I built and I'm happy with this one for now.;)
IMG_0900_zpszxn6qvkn.jpg
I decided to run my oil feed line and oil return line down the same path with the charge pipe. This keeps everything much cleaner and away from the exhaust pipe and drive-shaft.

I did some pressure testing also, from 10 psi to 30 psi to make sure it didn't leak or blow. Had my ear protection on also just in case.OMG

Also the ladder is not part of the charge pipe. Its just a great place to put the charge pipe while I work on some other things.LOL

Update:

After I painted the car I forgot to fix the gap on the driver side head light door. The gap is large enough to throw a small size animal through it.LOL
IMG_0878_zpsqltxgqkv.jpg

So I worked on it today and got it pretty good for this beater.
FullSizeRender_zpsgb3jx3ib.jpg

The first pic is where my ride height is set at now 3 1/2". The tires are clearing and everything looks good so far? I'm going to have to be very careful though and always be thinking about the low clearance when driving on some of our roads here. The other concern is the Tilton electric pump is mounted up front so I will have to watch out for parking stops and curbs when pulling forward. But I guess this is the game we play.LOL

I'm going to replace the front bumper later this winter with a new one. I didn't sand out all the rock chips as good as I should and it really bugs me.:(

My new version high to low pressure charge pipe is all mounted and tuck up and now sits higher then the exhaust system so I'm very happy with the results.

Now my biggest concern is the way this thing looks. It draws a ton of attention and we just had a bunch of young punks racing in our new local parking garage so now all the cops are profiling import cars again. Maybe the fact I'm a old guy driving this thing they will not pull me over?:rolleyes:

There are times I wonder WTF???

Today my car decided to be a PITA!!!!!!:mad:

My MAP sensor was acting totally messed up. It would read 42psi at idle and 36psi when the engine was off. I couldn't keep the car running, after about 2 seconds it would just load up and die. I kept thinking I must of change something in the ECU inputs accidentally???

But after walking away and enjoying a nice dinner and a fire outside I decided to just look at what the map connection's looked like? Then I found this.
FullSizeRender1_zpstpm5oajp.jpg
The ground wire for the MAF to MAP Speed Density cable came out.:mad:

So now I have my car tore all apart chasing ghost and crap that's not even there.

This is So awesome buy a big sheet of white vinyl wrap and skeetch up some stencils for the decals! Did you make your front bumper fog covers yourself or order them? Also your paint is it custom mixed or paint code provided. I dont quite understand the compunt box and small turbo set up i have some reading to do...

Good for you for trying something a little different. ;) That's one of the things that makes these cars so cool - you see some really creative projects! Let us know if we can help out at any point, even if just to answer questions. We've done a few custom projects on our race car too :) Call us any time.

Subscribed! Love the shep look and the way you've put it together. Great work, I am excited to see some numbers and run data on the setup!
Thanks!!! I should have some numbers next month. I need to finish up the fuel and breather systems next month.
Looks great.. really like this car.. would also love to here how she runs
I can't wait to see what she runs. The boost is instant and it has awesome low end torque. ;)
This is So awesome buy a big sheet of white vinyl wrap and skeetch up some stencils for the decals! Did you make your front bumper fog covers yourself or order them? Also your paint is it custom mixed or paint code provided. I dont quite understand the compunt box and small turbo set up i have some reading to do...
I consider it;)
Good for you for trying something a little different. ;) That's one of the things that makes these cars so cool - you see some really creative projects! Let us know if we can help out at any point, even if just to answer questions. We've done a few custom projects on our race car too :) Call us any time.
Kiggly you just made my whole year!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the kind words and the support. I will probably be talking to you soon. I have a feeling I'm going to have to upgrade my transmission.;)

Forgot paint info. Its the factory Mitsubishi code R16 Black Cherry Pearl Coat from 1991. Its PPG DBC code 4043 Concept base coat with DCU2002 Clear with DFX11 Super Charger hardner. I like this clear because in the conditions I shot it in, "my attach two car garage" its not the cleanest environment. This clear drys extremely fast. It was out of dust in about 3 minutes.
IMG_0943_zpsksadvufs.jpg

Also thanks to everyone on the complements. Very much appreciated!!!!

Last edited:
That is incredible! Ill be giving it a try most likely around the less windy times of the summer seasons here in Minnesota LOL

This is awesome. Kinda makes me want to try and mount my red under the car in the back, if i could find the space and then put the 18g back on. Wonder if theres enough room...
I was originally looking into doing a rear mount install. It was really a tight fit with my FP Red though. I was going to have to cut the rear back panel up a little bit. I think my next step is going to replace the FP Red with a BW 366 turbo. I just want a little more power then the FP Red can provide. ;)

Yeah, i was under there looking today and it looks a bit tight, especially after putting an oil tank and pump for the oil back there, i think the way you did it is the only way. Why not just put an FP Black back there instead of that borg? 100 more whp and the hot aide is the same as the red, so you could leave the turbine housing bolted on and just swap the center section of the black right in. Unless youre wanting even more than that hehe

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back