The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

91-94 Throttle Body Shaft Seal Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

To begin the seal replacement the Throttle Body must be removed from the intake manifold. You will see in the picture the connections I had to remove. They are the Throttle Cable, Idle Reset Switch connector, the Idle Speed Controller connnector, and the Throttle Posistion Sensor connector. Your vehicle may include the bracket that goes over to the Cam Angle Sensor, the 4 vacuum lines on top of the TB (label their order), and the coolant lines that go to the Fast Idle Air Valve, if you are still using the coolant lines you will want to drain the coolant first.

Once the TB is removed mark the spring with a straight line all the way across, mark the TPS posistion, and the butterfly(notice the direction the butterfly opens) Clockwise from the linkage side. I used an "E" for elbow side of the plate and an arrow for which way is up

Next I unwound the outer spring while leaving the linkage carrier installed in an effort to save my fingers from the spring snapping them. Notice how the blue line now spirals around the shaft. That is how you know the spring tension is not set correctly when you go to put it all together. I also marked the inner green spring with a line to ensure proper installation by moving the outer spring over with a screwdriver. Remove the 12mm nut on the end and slide the springs and white spacer off. There will still be tension on the green spring so be careful. Now you can see one of the seals. It looks like a gold ring around the shaft.

Note how the spring assebly goes together. The green spring comes through the hole in the spacer and the other spring rest on the outside. I removed the TPS as the next step by unscrewing the two bolts that hold it on.

This is what is underneath the TPS sensor. I am going to call it the "TPS actuator" I marked this to show which side was up, allthough it appears that it would be the same flipped 180*. Remove the 10mm nut and slide the actuator off. You can now see the other seal. Don't lose the white plastic washer that goes behind the actuator.

The next step is removing the throttle plate or butterfly. These screws are very tight and strip easily. You can use the right tipped screwdriver and apply a lot of downward force to remove the screws, but I prefer a drill. I can apply as much downforce as needed and let the drill do the rest of the work. Hasn't failed me yet. You can then push the plate out of the shaft.

After the plate was removed I filed the back of the shaft where the screws had left burrs before I pulled the shaft out. When re-installing the shaft make sure the side with the dimples for the screw heads faces the elbow.

With the shaft removed. We can finally get the seals out. I pried them out with a screwdriver. I was careful not to damage the TB housing.

Finally we are ready to press in the new seals. I picked mine up from SBR but you can get them through Chicago Rawhide. I used a 10mm socket on an extension to get the seals in. Make sure the seals are flush inside the housing and well lubed for re-installation of the shaft. The open end of the seal goes to the inside.

Installation is opposite of removal. When putting it all together make sure all of your marks line up. Here is a checklist.

Re-Install:
1) Lube shaft well where is rides on the seals and rotate it while you push it through the seals. The dimples face the elbow side of the TB so the screw heads can sit flush. The end of the shaft with the small threads goes towards the TPS side of the TB.
2) Put the throttle plate back in the shaft according to your labeling, use a small punch to line the holes up
3) Re-install the TPS actuator according to your marks, don't forget the white washer behind the actuator
4) Re-install the springs and white spacer. I tensioned the green spring first and then the outer spring using a small screwdriver while cracking the throttle to let the outer spring by the throttle stop. Again your marks should all line up like before you took it apart.
5) Re-install the TPS sensor it should be obvious which way it has to line up on the actuator
6) Check that the Idle reset switch is not holding the throttle cracked open
7) Make sure the throttle opens smoothly and clockwise from the spring side. Make sure the butterfly does not stick at any point, otherwise something is wrong with the installation and it should be investigated and repaired

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back