The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

General 91-94 ECU Swap to 90 Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOLVTEC

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2011
Los Angeles, California
I finally got ecmlink, bought one from a fellow tuner.
I have a 90 tsi and im swapping in a 91-94 ecu.
i have read this
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...4-ecu-swap-into-1990-dsm-ignition-wiring.html

so i asked my friend who sold me his ecu and link for his Power Transistor.
now i don't know what i was thinking but it never mentioned on the link i posted up there that i needed the pigtail also, i should have thought about that. but to late, i can't ask my friend to cut his harness because he's going to build it up again.
now my question is can i go by putting the 91-94 ecu to my 90 without swapping out the Power Transistor, i know that doing that mod will allow my tach to function properly.
i know that i have to swap out pin 6 and 14 for the idle position switch and Air flow sensor active filter reset thats according to this
1G ECU Pinouts.

i still have a lot more research to do. all i've done is install ecmlink on my laptop. any advise on how to go on about from here would help.

also if anyone has the pigtail for 91-94 power transistor that they would like to donate ill pay for the shipping. i went to the junkyard yesterday and there was a lot of 91-94, but they were all 1.8L will the pigtail for their power transistor work, or do they even have a Power Transistor?

i am in the same boat as you are. i just put a 92 eprom in my 90 body/wire harness. there are also other things you have to change i think.

know pin 6 and 14 have to be swapped but does the power trasistor really have to be swapped? any way to get around it?

The only thing required to allow the car to run as it should is swapping pins 6 and 14 at the ECU.
....................................................if only people read things..................
The power transistor and coil are accessories that can be swapped as detailed in the first link above if and when you get sick of your tachometer not working correctly. Simply put, they are not required.

The only thing required to allow the car to run as it should is swapping pins 6 and 14 at the ECU.

The power transistor and coil are accessories that can be swapped as detailed in the first link above if and when you get sick of your tachometer not working correctly. Simply put, they are not required.

To run, as in start the car, you don't have to do anything.

Swapping 6 and 14 are required to get the car to idle correctly so that the ECU sees the IPS and can reset the MAF.

As you point out the change from the 90 PTM to a 91+ PTM is to make the factory tachometer work correctly. You can also try to find one of the modules Jeff O used to make and add it to your ECU or the wiring harness. It also fixes the problem.

Isn't the 91+ PTM connector the same as the 2G MAF? That connector is used on a bunch more vehicles.

will a 90 gvr4 prom ecu work in my 90 car? i have the 91-94 dsm ecu (with the link chip in it) that i decided not to put in my car in it and i have some one that wants to sell me a socketed 90 gvr4 ecu that i can put this chip in but im not sure that it will work. any idea?

Which ECU is he offering?
I'm not aware of a US 1990 GVR4 only the 91/92 model that came with the MD165810 or MD165811 91+ style ECU. Only the software in the original EPROM chip is different between the GVR4 and DSM ECU.

he says its from a 90 gvr4. i thought there was 1000 90vr4, and 2000 91/92?

Gallant ecu are the same as 1gb ecu. I just put a galant ecu in mine. Works perfectly. I have a write up on how to make the tach work. All you need is a 91 and up ptu and the connector and do some wiring.

I think its here on tuners. Or might be on some local dsm forums.

he says its from a 90 gvr4

You said that before, what is the ECU part number?
It's been awhile and my memory isn't as sharp as it once was but Wikipedia agrees with what I remember. 2k in 91 and another 1k in 92, none for the US in 90. I don't remember finding a reference in CAPS or ASA to a US 90 GVR4.

There were JDM GVR4 using 90 style EPROM ECU's but there are also unusable dual board ECU's to watch out for.

nvm i switched the pins for the 91 prom ecu and didnt have to do anything else the tach does work too

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back