The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

900-1000hp Fuel System

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dconspiracy16

Probationary Member
Oct 7, 2005
jackson, New_Jersey
I need some help on a fuel system and want to see what you guys are running out there. Car is a 96' GSX. 2.1 Aluminum rod motor built head, s3 cams, PTE 6870 twin scroll. PPG dog box. etc. It is mainly a drag car but I do take it out on the weekends around town. The build started as a nasty street car but ya know, stuff happens. Right now I have a Full Blown double pumper with 2 Walbro 450's. I also have an Injector Clinic fuel rail with 2200's. I had a brand new billet intake manifold from JM Fab and just swapped it for the one with secondary injector application. The problem I have is 2 fold. Will my current fuel pump set up get me to the limits of this 6870? Also how concerned should I be with the failure of electric pumps. I am running an AEM V2. I know there are fail safes that can be indoctrinated. Any info is helpful. Thanks

You wouldn't be concerned with a pump failure causing engine damage?

You wouldn't be concerned with a pump failure causing engine damage?
I'd be concerned regardless LOL, if you are really worried about pump failure, I would just go mechanical fuel pump at that kind of power regardless. An electric pump could fail no matter what brand type size pump it is. But idk how common electric fuel pump failures really are. What kind of fuel are you running? I think that also could be a determining factor as you can't just go with a big Weldon fuel pump LOL. There is many options out there that could work.

There are a few flow restrictions with the full blown pump hanger as well as cavitation issues with the stock gas tank that you may run into around the 750whp range. How do you have your feed fittings coming out of your hanger? The stock side outlets choked mine so I drilled and tapped the top of the hanger and 90° hose fittings on separate -6AN feeds. I think I ran mine to like 835awhp before changing to a fuel cell with the same pump hanger assembly. Then I got quite a bit more out of it.

My pump setup is dual Walbro 255hp in tanks to dual Walbro in line 255hp pumps on individual -6AN feeds.

I would suspect you will find limitations with your pump configuration around 90psi total pressure (base pressure + boost pressure).

I can try and help on the electric fuel pump side of things...
Here's some data for reference:
Fuel Pumps:
255, 175lph @ 70psi (150lph @ 80psi)
044, 260lph @ 70psi (250lph @ 80psi)
450, 295lph @ 70psi (270lph @ 80psi)

Not familiar with the turbo, but I am familiar with injector and fuel pump numbers. Two 450's is a perfect match for 2200cc injectors
Max demand of 2200's from pumps would be ~530 lph
Two 450's shouldn't have an issue fueling that demand provided they stay fed, but that IS about as far as they're gonna go with a margin of safety.

For added room to grow two 044's inline with the two 450's would give you a lot of room.

What fuel are you running and what does your plumbing look like? What size lines do you have coming off the full blown hanger going to the rail?
Properly sized lines for the required flow is crucial.

The fuel lines are -8an feed and -6an return. They probably will be larger with the new setup though

8AN will cut the mustard as long as it's at least the 7/16" internal diameter or more. Watch the fittings, that's where some of them get ya. That's where you'll find restrictions (internal sizing smaller than the rest of the system). Drill bits are a quick, easy way to check internal sizing of fittings..

(Twin 3/8's like Twicks did is better as far as area / volume)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back