The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 90 VS 91 Power Steering Pump Differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ist dwa

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2009
Centerville, Ohio
Looking to replace all the gaskets in a Power Steering pump, went to CAPS to get the part numbers and sure enough another new to me 90-91 difference. Both the rebuild kit and the pump itself have different part numbers. Does anybody know how to identify the difference, I am very sure mine is a 90 because the car is and for the most part all 90 parts have been on it.

Thanks in advance.

Can you upload some pic of inside of your pump or the rebuild kit?
Internal mechanism is different between 90 and 91-94. If your pump or a rebuild kit has TWO oil pump shape rubber seals (Two large same shape seals), that's for 90. If it has only ONE oil pump shape rubber seal and ONE large o-ring, that's for 91-94.

Found a pic in JNZ site. The kit in the pic is for 91-94. The kit for 90 should have TWO of the seal that is in the green circle, instead of two o-rings in the red circle.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just took my 1989 pump apart, and from the outside it looks like the 90 pictured above. There's a few differences that I found on my pump vs other rebuild videos on youtube:

1) There is no nut holding on the pulley. It is permanently pressed on.
2) There is no spring plate inside the pump housing, below the rotor. It is just a flat machined casting.

As stated above by @DSMPT , it takes the rebuild kit with two of the lobed gaskets, the center aluminum rotor housing takes one on each face.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There is no spring plate on the housing below the rotor. You can see the lobed shape in the rotor housing above the pump body, both sides look like that. There is a small dimple that the FSM tells you dictates which side faces up.

Since my case had some rust and was pretty dirty, this won't be an exercise in saving much money (time is money after all) but I'm learning and it keeps more junk out of the land fill.

I appreciate the addition to this thread with the documentation you provide too! It is important for us 1990 people.
Thanks for the update.

I just love this community. Just about any other car forum the only response this question would have gotten is "Just replace the whole pump". Here it's just informative contributions.

We are glad to have you all and all of your hints and tips!

Can you run a 91+ pump on a 90? I'm finding the newer pumps and rebuild kits easier to find. Are there any differences in the dimensions or how it mounts?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back