The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G 90 Transmission in a 93 question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakk220

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2010
Akron, Ohio
I just purchased a 1993 gsx about a week ago and have been figuring out a few of the issues it has. One of them being that the car goes into gear very rough and the shifter will not go to the left at all because the horizontal shift lever is all the way down with the cables connected. If I disconnect the cables it sits back in the middle again. I ran the numbers on the transmission and it comes back as a 1990 transmission. I know there are a few threads and a Vfaq about this question, and I have read just about all of them front to back. I'm having a little trouble understanding a few things and have been finding unclear answers. I just want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row before I go ordering more parts.

Transmission serial #'s : KW5M332NPZS (second row) JV2325 And 4E3CT64U5LE107324

I did discover that the shift cables are bent, probably from having the incorrect parts on it, so I will be replacing those. Also I was told that the transmission is a 0 mile Sheppard built transmission. When I ordered the transfer case I assumed it was a 1993 transmission because I counted the splines and there are 23. The 23 spline transfer case also slides on fine. So I assume that maybe the output shaft was upgraded to a 23 spline from a 22 at some point?

Here are some of the things I am unsure of:

1. What year shift bracket for the cables do I need to make this 90 transmission work? Most of the posts just say "switch them out" and I'm not sure if they mean with your old 1993 one or a 1990 bracket.

2. What year vertical shift lever (that bolts to the transmission) do I need?

3. Being that I have a 1993 shifter and cables in the car, am I able to keep those as 1993 or do I have to switch those as well? (I have read mixed posts but only one answer can be right).

Any input would be much appreciated, preferably from someone who has done this before and made it work perfect. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Well being the the shift cables are bent its hard to tell if the bracket fixed the issues. Since I'll be ordering a set soon it would be nice if someone could let me know for sure if I can use the 1993 cables or do I have to witch to 1990 cables.

Here is a little info. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page in the link. Personally, when I installed a 91+ trans in my 90 years ago, I ended up swapping cables, shifter and shifter base and the brackets on the transmission cause it never really shifted properly until then. If this a good trans and you intend to keep it, Id just go ahead and get with Miller Import parts and get the 90 cables, shifter and shifter base and install this stuff onto the car and make sure youve got the correct, 90 year brackets on the transmission and this way, it will shift as it were stock.

http://vfaq.com/mods/shifter-diffs.html

I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong but aren't the spline counts different between 90/91 and 92-94? You may have to change axles as well.

if you are referring to front diffs, no those splines are the same 90-99.
swapping cables, shifters, yikes!! i woild have just changed the one bracket on the trans!!!
or just custom fabbed a trans bracket to make it work!!

Well the stock cables reach, it's just I feel as if they're too long. Even if they're adjusted all the way down, the side to side cable still sits at an angle from where the clips go on the bracket to the bushing. I thought that might be because there bent though.

The axles are in and they work fine. Its a 0 mile shep trans so I plan on keeping it a while. It shifts fine by hand. I just didn't know if the cables being bent were the entire cause of bad shifting or If the cables being wrong were too. I might just take that route and replace it all to be sure it matches up

Thats the thing. Vfaq states that swapping only the bracket on the transmission is enough to make a 90 trans work in a 91- 94 car or a 91-94 trans work in a 90 car.
Ive done it both ways and ill say that it never shifted properly until i swapped everything.
The cables are different, the placement of the cables on both the shifter bases and the brackets on the trans are different. The lower bracket on the trans that the upper bracket that holds the csbles bolts to is different. The k and h levers on the trans are also different. Will it shift into the gears with just a bracket swap? Yes, but ive seen it where the hub within the trans is not fully engaged to the gear and it pops out of gear. Ive also seen situations where the gear is fully engaged, but the shifter stop isnt and this can lead to broken shift forks inside the trans.
If you want it to shift right without swapping all that stuff, you can try swapping a k lever and h lever from a 91-94 car onto the trans, but the k lever is a gigantic pain in the ass to remove even with the trans out of the car. It takes a serious, Samuel L. Jackson MOTHERFUCKIN AIR HAMMER to get the pin out and you will prefer to just swap everything else, trust me.

Well I'll take your word for it then. I will just swap everything out and call it a day. Everything is swapped except the cables and shifter....and the k lever....but screw that thing. I know they're near impossible to get out. You had me dying at the Samuel L Jackson part haha LOL. Thanks for the advice man. I appreciate it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back