The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

90 transmission in a 91-94 WILL WORK!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMcamaro

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 25, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Well after blowing my stock transmission in my 91, I finally went ahead and decided to find out if a 90 tranny would fit in a 91 without changing the shifter cables/shifter etc. It went perfect and now my shifter actually has a shorter throw than before. I used the 91 cable bracket, 91 cables, and the 91 shifter! Just thought I would let people know since I've always read that you need to swap everything. However, I would not recommend going the other way and putting a 91+ into a 90. I think this would cause issues, but I've never personally tried it.

If you want to see my blown tranny....

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/293343-transmission-goes-boom-pics-inside.html

PS: for a 93-94 you would have to get the smaller diameter cv-shafts.

PPS: this is a FWD turbo car, I assume AWD would be similar but have not tested it.

my '90 has a 91 Trans in it now... Shift cables,shift assembly (shifter), and trans cable bracket needs to be for 91. Shifts like a champ, I've done the swap from both ways in the past and ya the 90 trans into a 91 is easier and shorter throw, but it's not very difficult to swap a new shift assembly + cables in for the 90.

I put a 91 trans in my 90 car without changing anything. Problem you will run into is the car wont go into gear, this is because of the difference in the shifter arms between the transmissions. The 90 cables will not push the arm far enough forward to put the car in gear. All you need to do is drill a hole in the shifter arm next to the stock mounting post and use a nut and bolt to connect the shifter cable to the arm. This enables the cable to push the arm in gear. Everything else is the same.

I agree and 2nd all this stuff, a 90 trans can go into a 91 car. but 91 trans in a 90 car is a no go.... (without changing shifter cables, shifter base, etc.)

I have a 1992 FWD TURBO transmission in my car with a 90 shifter, cable, and brackets. With very little adjustment the car goes into all gears perfectly. My block and motor mounts are from a N/T car though, so the engine does sit a little closer to the fire wall.

This is a huge delima I'm having right now. I just got my trans from Jacks and I asked for the wrong shaft shaft length. I asked for the shorter one(90 I think) and I have a 91. I would go ahead and put it in, but I want to make sure I won't void the warranty my doing so.
I had already pulled my trans out, then noticed the arm. Now my eclipse is tying up my lift at work. :(
I want to hear from Jacks if it's ok to put in or not.

:( ok, this combination does NOT work....
91 car and shifter
90 cables and mounting bracket.
I don't know which is which for the shift arm that bolts to the trans. I have a long one and a short one. I used the short one and side to side is fine.
the forward backward motion at the shifter is no bueno. The cable is too short and so the natural position of the shifter is already to the rear of the car. So when I try and put it in (all the down gears) 2nd,4th and revers, it hits the stop before it makes it all the way in the gear.

I'm not looking to modify a brand new transmission that's under warranty unless aproved by Jack.

A buddy of mine I know has a 90 shifter assembly he was about to throw away. I just have to drive a little over an hour to get it. Looks like I'm going to New Mexico tomorrow.

:( ok, this combination does NOT work....
91 car and shifter
90 cables and mounting bracket.
I don't know which is which for the shift arm that bolts to the trans. I have a long one and a short one. I used the short one and side to side is fine.
the forward backward motion at the shifter is no bueno. The cable is too short and so the natural position of the shifter is already to the rear of the car. So when I try and put it in (all the down gears) 2nd,4th and revers, it hits the stop before it makes it all the way in the gear.

Did you try adjusting the cables on the shifter?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back