The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 90 talon TSI awd need help, won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess90tsi

Probationary Member
Feb 2, 2022
Elloree, South_Carolina
Hi so I bought my first dsm car and my first turboed car a couple months ago. Drove it twice and it quit on me. I'm thinking maybe I ran it out of gas.

So it's got a 4g63t swap. It ran good though the little I did get to drive it. The engine wiring is a bit of a mess and I have tried to straighten that out some. I'll post the ad from where I bought it to show some of the mods done to it because I am kind of clueless when it comes to these cars. Hopefully some of y'all can help me out.

First I was hoping to figure out if the firing order was correct, so how exactly is it supposed to be on this car with that swap they had the coil pack just laying there not bolted to anything. I bolted it up and I just wanted to make sure that the order was right because it's not cranking.

It turns over kind of slow for a minute it wasn't turning over at all but I took the starter off and took it apart cleaned it put it back on ended up having to clean the signal wire connection and now it turns over but it's not firing up.

I don't want to sell the car but it's been sitting for a while now and I don't I know that's the worst thing that you can do for anything just let it sit and I don't want it to go to shit it's a sick ass car only has 60000 miles and it's pretty clean with the exception of the wiring LOL.

So please help me figure this out y'all.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's a video

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't look like there's a video posted but I came across it on YouTube, and it came to this link.

It sounds like the car is running? It just sounds like the Bypass/Recirculation valve isn't opening or it's too soft of a spring giving off the fluttering noise.

So it's not really a swap, the 6 bolt is what is suppose to be in it. It is a '90, so it has its differences from the other years but they are still a good car and tons of fun. I couldn't find the video, maybe just post a link of it?

If you haven’t messed with the firing order, it should be alright. Look at the coil pack and it will tell you which wire goes where. From there, make sure you have spark when you crank it. If it has spark, spray some starter fluid into the brake booster port on the intake manifold. Yeah this will tell you if it’s fuel related.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Do you have the stock airbox and inlet piping? It was removed during these videos. It actually does look rather stock in there, so you shouldn't have to decipher what a previous owner did to badly. It ran fine a few times and then quit, and you think it ran out of gas? I assume you added some fuel by now. Can you smell gas in from the tailpipe after cranking? I'd go with the fuel deliver issue to start. You should be able to hear the fuel pump run when you put the key in "run", and before you even turn it to "start". If the fuel pump isn't running, the car won't run.

Also, if the intake had been recently removed, perhaps an electrical connection at the airbox has come loose. Check that those are secure.

I apologize for the vague posts. Not intentional. No it's not running.

I've got a couple issues which I've been trying to investigate and fix if possible. I'm not sure that the firing order is correct. They just had the coil laying there not bolted up, there is quite a lot of wiring issues, on the engine and apparently under the dash.

There's aftermarket triple gauges on the pillar and 2 more in the dash. Was looking at the wires hanging unconnected under the dash and seen the door chime start working when I moved the wires.

In the coil there was 2 bolts barely on at all. There were several connectors under the hood not hooked up and several more bootlegged as hell. The more I looked the more amazed I am it even ran at all.

It's been sitting a couple months as I had issues with my sc300. To be honest not sure that it hasn't been tampered with since I've had it. I've had unexplainable shit happen to several toys I've gotten since I've lived here. I believe I fouled the plugs and I've cleaned them but I've got to order new ones online. Went to the local parts store and they're telling me they can't order any there. It's the only parts store I've ever been in and felt immediately uncomfortable and I won't be going back there needless to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the coil pack from the drivers side fender going from left to right the plug wires plug into the coil 4-1-2-3

I know you're here for help and please don't be insulted by my comment but you're telling a story while asking questions at the same time. To get better helped please post just your direct questions and issues. Feel free to make a build thread or post in the rant section for stories about parts store issues and stories about the car. Again please don't be insulted. Just trying to help and welcome to the forum! We are always pleased to have new enthusiasts!

So no start still. I've tried the starter fluid. The fuel pump is running. There is a maf translator gen 2 in the the dash.i got new spark plugs in it and put my yellow top in it. It's getting good fire. Pulled the top off the ecu looks ok to me. Not even trying to start tho

Considering it was running before at least check the obvious. You have fuel and you tried starting fluid so I'm guessing there is no spark. Check connections at ignition transistor and coil.
Some basic ecu checks are does the check engine come on with key on? It should stay on for 5 sec and go off and stock boost gauge should zero out. When cranking, tach should twitch. If it doesn't look to ignition transistor first.

Did you check the things I mentioned? Knowing what the car is doing will help us diagnose your problem.
Please fill out a profile. We need to know more about the car or at least as much as you can tell us.

It has spark. Smells like its flooding. The transistor has the white and the black wires unconnected the ground and tach. Tried to check it with a meter and I think it's bad . The computer is not showing any codes. What would be a good place to get a transistor from? Can't afford 200 for one right now. Also the coil has a little black box on the bottom and it's loose. Like the bottom of it is sealed with some silicone like stuff maybe. Is that something I need to worry about? Sorry for the delay..I've gotten on and replied several times and twice my battery died before I could post and the lack of signal where I stay screwed me uploading. Anyway the help is much appreciated

I’m sure someone has one so post a wtb in classifieds. Can you post a pics so everyone is on the same page? Also, it sometimes doesn’t crank & sometimes it turns over very slow. Is that correct?

I see you posted a wtb 👍

Please fill out a profile. We need to know details about the car to the best of your ability.
Did you run the checks I suggested?

The transistor has the white and the black wires unconnected the ground and tach.

A 1990 PTU doesn't have a white wire, that signal comes from the 1990 Coil pack Tach Gate.

The black wire is the ground connection for the PTU and needs to be connected to pin 3 on the PTU.

Also the coil has a little black box on the bottom and it's loose.

The black box on the 1990 Coils is the Tach Gate, it generated the tach pulses in a 1990 that go to the white wire.

Have you looked at your ECU? It looks like the PO converted the ignition and I wonder if the car also has 91+ ECU and other 91+ parts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back