The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

90 Ram 50 4G64 SOHC To 4g63 DOHC swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FakeMightyMax

Probationary Member
Feb 14, 2023
South Range, Wisconsin
This is my first post on the DSM Tuners!

I recently bought a 1990 Ram 50 SE with the SOHC 4g64 mated to the 4 speed auto🤧. The truck is in great shape with only having 32,000 miles and is the best little truck to drive. But sadly, she’s slower than a rock. My goal is to have a nice N/A DOHC 64 with a 63 head (Manual Swap). I'm not looking to go crazy just looking to make more reliable power.

My question is what intake would fit up to the 63 head? Or would the stock intake fit onto the 63? Also does the fuel system need to be upgraded? I already swapped in a modern fuel pump which has never failed me. If there’s anything else major I need to know before researching on that would be greatly appreciated. I’m newer to these engines and am looking for guidance.

Thank you - FakeMightyMax

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Modified stock intake, less modified evo8 intake, or custom.

Is your 4g64 wide or narrow block? Find that out before too long to make sure your transmission choice is correct. If Bill Hincher in still making bellhousings, you can have one for either block made by him for whatever popular transmission choice.

Fuel system doesn't need massive upgrades going from SOHC to DOHC, but you will need to do some tuning to get it running right. IIRC the pistons for the 64 will not work with the 63 head, too much dome (& compression for most pump gas) and incorrect valve reliefs.

First thing to do is have a goal/plan, write it out from top to bottom and apply parts/costs to each point. That'll give you a better idea of what to address as you go.

@ThunderChild The nice folks over at evolutionm.net seem to think that the 63 heads fit the 64 block just fine. Am I missing something? Is it because they are working with a later generation of the 64?

Asking because I'm looking to make a hybrid engine with a 64 block and DOHC 63 head to swap into my Lancer.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I understand. Got verification from multiple threads, all that. If you want deets, you can check out my build thread on evolutionm. Same username.

BTW, @FakeMightyMax I'm jealous of your truck. Used to have an 86 and loved it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back