The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

90 Laser RS-t drag build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SloEvo

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 7, 2010
Warner Robins, Georgia
I just picked up a FWD 1990 Laser RS-T. I've always been a fan of the 14b, so I'll be playing around with the stock turbo to see what I can do. The plan is to get everything mechanically sound (car runs decent now, but I need to adjust some balance shaft belts and make sure the timing is spot on), and get it ready to hit the track in stock trim with no mods other than an air filter (since the car came with a filter when I bought it). The only other "mods" it has are a sway bar, boost gauge, 8mm spark plug wires, NGK BPR7ES plugs gapped at .026" and shifter base bushings. For the most part, it's pretty stock. I'm hoping to hit the track within the next couple of weeks in stock form. Once I get a baseline, I'll slowly start dropping the weight of the car, as well as adding some performance parts I am currently collecting.

I'll try to get some pictures posted up in the next couple of days. The car is relatively clean, so there won't need to be any body or paint work to the car. Keep an eye out for updates, changes and results and the car progresses!

Here are some pictures of the outside. The interior is just as clean, minus a missing headliner.

IMAG0218_zps5878a312.jpg

IMAG0219_zps2d5cb4c9.jpg

IMAG0220_zps4650d0e6.jpg

I also found this in the wiring to the ECU. Not sure what it was used for. It was connected to the pins for MPI relay power and a ground. Once removed, I haven't seen any change in the car. I tested the MPI relay to make sure it was GTG...no issues with it.

IMAG0179_zps99258ff0.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to post up about the parts I'm collecting right now.

DSMlink V3 w/ ECU
2g MAF (made adapter plug for 1g)
BLOX dryflow direct fit filter (best and cheapest bolt on filter I've ever used, even when I had my Evo)
External walbro 255 (will make a suction setup from the stock tank for now)
MBC
FIC 650s (I'll be running race gas)
Evo 3 ported E/M
Prothane motor mounts
I have an old exhaust I can use to fab an exhaust for the car
tubular o2 housing w/ external dump
EGR blockoff
shifter bushings (both sides)
AGX rear shocks
adjustable cam gears (might try them on the stock cams...any gain on a 14b is needed)
clutch and SS full clutch line

Probably forgetting a few things. Over the next couple months I'll be looking for some other things that will help more. I'll be looking around for slicks, possibly a 7cm hotside, and start looking into possible intercooler setups! But I want to hit the track as is (with V3 installed to monitor how the car is doing), tweak the car in stock form, then gradually progress! I'm going to try to get to the track on the 3rd or the 10th!

Im alsp on the 14b, its a lot of fun and very impressive for a stock turbo. It sounds like you are off to a good start, that car is cclean. It has a 1gb talon rear end swap if you didn't already know. Nice look

Yeah...it's the first one I've seen in person. Also has the nice side skirts on it and has a Talon front bumper. I like the way it looks, that's for sure.

I just picked up a FWD 1990 Laser RS-T. I've always been a fan of the 14b, so I'll be playing around with the stock turbo to see what I can do. The plan is to get everything mechanically sound (car runs decent now, but I need to adjust some balance shaft belts and make sure the timing is spot on), and get it ready to hit the track in stock trim with no mods other than an air filter (since the car came with a filter when I bought it). The only other "mods" it has are a sway bar, boost gauge, 8mm spark plug wires, NGK BPR7ES plugs gapped at .026" and shifter base bushings. For the most part, it's pretty stock. I'm hoping to hit the track within the next couple of weeks in stock form. Once I get a baseline, I'll slowly start dropping the weight of the car, as well as adding some performance parts I am currently collecting.

I'll try to get some pictures posted up in the next couple of days. The car is relatively clean, so there won't need to be any body or paint work to the car. Keep an eye out for updates, changes and results and the car progresses!

Here are some pictures of the outside. The interior is just as clean, minus a missing headliner.

IMAG0218_zps5878a312.jpg

IMAG0219_zps2d5cb4c9.jpg

IMAG0220_zps4650d0e6.jpg

I also found this in the wiring to the ECU. Not sure what it was used for. It was connected to the pins for MPI relay power and a ground. Once removed, I haven't seen any change in the car. I tested the MPI relay to make sure it was GTG...no issues with it.

IMAG0179_zps99258ff0.jpg

Man that car is almost show room caliper. One of the cleaning 1g I have see in a long time:thumb:

Would you believe me if I said I bought it for $1400? :D

Yes sir! The guy had this one and an AWD. The AWD had less miles and was listed for $2k on CL. This one was listed for $1800. The AWD had a salvage title, so I didn't want it. Text him and asked a few questions then didn't text back for a few hours. He eventually text back and said he needs to sell and to make him an offer. I told him my budget was $1500, but I had to get a trailer to tow it. Asked if he would take $1400 and he agreed. It had a bunch of small vacuum leaks so it would surge a little at idle, so it wouldn't pass CA smog. I bought it and registered it in GA (AD military) with no problems. I fixed a lot of the little vacuum leaks, but I'm pretty sure the intake manifold gasket has a small vacuum leak as well. It still has a slight surge from time to time. I might need to check the timing on it too. I know the oil pump timing is off because above 3k rpm it vibes like crazy! But I'm working on trying to get those little things taken care of!

Yes sir! The guy had this one and an AWD. The AWD had less miles and was listed for $2k on CL. This one was listed for $1800. The AWD had a salvage title, so I didn't want it. Text him and asked a few questions then didn't text back for a few hours. He eventually text back and said he needs to sell and to make him an offer. I told him my budget was $1500, but I had to get a trailer to tow it. Asked if he would take $1400 and he agreed. It had a bunch of small vacuum leaks so it would surge a little at idle, so it wouldn't pass CA smog. I bought it and registered it in GA (AD military) with no problems. I fixed a lot of the little vacuum leaks, but I'm pretty sure the intake manifold gasket has a small vacuum leak as well. It still has a slight surge from time to time. I might need to check the timing on it too. I know the oil pump timing is off because above 3k rpm it vibes like crazy! But I'm working on trying to get those little things taken care of!

Man you got that car for a steal! You should have bought both and converted this one to AWD with all the parts from the salvage car LOL

Yes. Everything was converted to look like a Talon, but the title is definitely a Plymouth.

I'm curious on the VIN number to be sure.

Title doesn't mean anything for I've seen wrong information placed on titles, esp when the vehicle has multiple owners and from various states.

If the VIN begins with a "4P3" it's a Plymouth.

But, if the VIN begins with a "4E3" definitely an Eagle.

"4A3" VIN is an Eclipse.

Lots of body moulding definitely making it more Eagle than Plymouth, for Eagle did have a FWD turbo chassis. Even Eagle wheels.

True, the rear end made up to the 1GB Eagle line...which is easy to do on a 1GA body.

Headliners are a snap to get out at a yard. Just find some busted up 1G's with good liners and snag you a couple for cheap.

-DSM

it has the 1gb talon rear, 1gb laser bottom peices, 1ga door strips, 1gb talon wing and 1ga turbo bumper

it has the 1gb talon rear, 1gb TALON bottom peices, 1ga door strips, 1gb talon wing and 1ga turbo bumper

sorry, I would let it go but I am such a fan of the talon skirts. I'm very jealous. The laser trim is pretty plain. Sure the (1GB) bumper is ok, and the tails are hot if you delete the reflective bar.

You talking about the circuit card? Wonder what it would be for? :confused:

Yes, that is what I am talking about. As for the reason for being there, IF that is a filter it may have been put there to prevent voltage spikes from getting to the ECU and fry it...who knows!

BTW, really nice car. It looks pretty much the way I'd like my 1G to look like, 1Gb Talon tail lights and bumper, popups and 1Ga bumper on the front. Whenever I will be able to do it I will just add the 1Gb Talon side skirts. I've got all the parts, it's just the lack of time that kills me!

Good luck with your build.

P.S. Are the euro side marker legal in California? I am asking because they are missing a light bulb (I believe the euro version 1G had a side light on the fender behind the wheel well).

it has the 1gb talon rear, 1ga Talon bottom peices, 1ga door strips, 1gb talon wing and 1ga turbo bumper
sorry, I would let it go but I am such a fan of the talon skirts. I'm very jealous. The laser trim is pretty plain. Sure the (1GB) bumper is ok, and the tails are hot if you delete the reflective bar.

I fixed it for you...I am big fan of the talon sideskirts too, both 1Ga and 1Gb. My Eclipse currently sports a set of 1Ga Talon sidekirts and a spare set of 1Gb Talon ones is in the making...

Yes...everything still works fine. I am about to swap in my V3 Link with the 90 ECU. Hopefully there won't be any issues!

You should put it on again, if it was there its for a reason, my gsx kept blowing ecu's, exactly the pin that sends to ground a pin on the mpi relay, the same one every time, my easy fix was to put a ground from another place to the mpi relay until i could find what was wrong, im guessing he put that to prevent the same thing happend again.

You should put it on again, if it was there its for a reason, my gsx kept blowing ecu's, exactly the pin that sends to ground a pin on the mpi relay, the same one every time, my easy fix was to put a ground from another place to the mpi relay until i could find what was wrong, im guessing he put that to prevent the same thing happend again.

If this is the case, I don't want to patch it with that little circuit card. I want to find the issue behind why it was installed in the first place and repair it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back