The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Swap 90 Tranny into 92 Car? (Merged)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, you can't just mate any US tranny to a jdm motor? Or I can, but I need to just change the transfer case? If my front wheels are turning slower than my rear (or vice versa), then either I got the wrong tranny or wrong transfer case, hypothetically?

You can put a usdm trans on a jdm engine.

If you get a jdm trans, just make sure of the origin of the transmission. There are a few evo3 transmissions that bolt on, but have different final drives. Its not super common, but I've seen it happen.

Hmm, not to thread hijack, but I had a problem with my transmission but have a jdm engine. So, I took it to the dealer and they're claiming that my problem is with the transmission. Could it be the transfer case being the wrong spline? My rear and front tires don't have the same rotational turns.

The engine doesn't have anything to do with it. Where did you get the trans? And where did the transfer case come from? As far as the rotation of the wheels, there is a more accurate way of doing it by using the driveshaft. I dont have the calculations off the top of my head tho, I'll try to find the proper way to check for you.

Thanks. The transfer case came on the 94 car. The tranmission was bought when I bought my previous 6 bolt motor. I didn't recieve a tranny with the jdm engine.

Sorry for the tripple subjects we're making in this thread, but to clarify my problem, I'm referring to FWD trannies. That doesn't change anything I need to do right? still just change that one bracket that bolts the shifter cables to the tranny?

Thanks

Yeah, it doesn't matter about FWD. You should be good.

Broken... here's the LINK.

Sorry about the mini-hijacking.

You know what sucks? Finding out that second gear grinds horribly.. and third gear grinds also, but not as bad [although I think it sucks!].. On my old tranny, it was 3rd and 5th.. I'd reather have that than this. Now I have to double-clutch after first AND second gear.. I also have low engagement and NO, it's not the adjustment or pedal assembly[I changed the freakin assembly last year and don't want to do it again!], so I bought a new slave to try that because I rebuilt my master cylinder last year... What a freakin bummer

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back