The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

90/92 motor swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spocks90talon

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2004
dayton, Ohio
i just bought a 92 talon and am almost done dropping my 90 motor in it, i was having no problims till i went to connect the coil pack and saw they are different :cry: so insted of buying a new coil ($90) i am trying to rig my 90 coil to the 92 wiring harness, has anyone tryed to do that? can it be done? and is there anyother problims im gonna run into to with the 90 motor and the 92 body, i got about half the stuff reconnected and stoped once i got to the coil, because i wanna takle one problim at a time. so any input would be helpful i'll let everyone know when i get it all done. :talon:

the 91-94 uses a power transistor module for the TACH, the 90's is already in the coilpack. the 90 ecu has 2 different pinouts, one for the MAFsensor and one for the idle position switch, do a search and you wil find many different discussions here on DSMtuners.

If you still have 91+ electronic, use them. If not, buy some. It's the easiest solution.

all right i found a 92 coil i have no idea if it works yet but thats all good, but another probilm, the 92 wiring harness has two extra connecters on the end of it, i have found out they go to the cam sensor and the throttle body, i was following the wires and it looks like the 90 cam sensor already plugs into the wiring harness via another plug as for the throttle body one i dont know :confused: i have a 92 throttle body but the vaccum lines are way different and i have no idea how i would hook those up but i think that connector goes to the TPS sensor, so maybe i can just switch those out? if i can figure this stuff out everything else seems like it will work fine so am gonna try to change the TPS and then fire her up tommrow :rocks: and i'll guess i'll find out if that coils good and if the cam sensor is working too.

hey guys i got the car running today, couple problims though, has trouble holding a idle sometimes stalls, but i think thats because im using a 90 throttle body on a 92 body and wiring harness and ecu, but its probibly either vaccuum lines which just havent been hooked up or the TPS witch i hope its not cause a new ones like $110, but the biggest probilm is i cant get it into 1st 3rd or 5th gear at all, i can get it into 2nd 4th and reverse no problim, note that i am using a 90 transmission and 92 shift cables, i read some where that they are different lengths because my shifter is like way up like a short shifter it hard to explain but it will just grind if i try to put in any of the top gears but wont actually go into gear. if anyone knows anything more about how i can somehow fix this problim i would really appreciate it i miss driving my DSM :talon:

well thanks for the help guys, *cough* well i got the car driving though it is very jimmy rigged, #1 prob is the 91-on tps is too big to fit! it bangs up angainst the fuel rail so how should i fix it? right now i just have the throttle held a little bit open by a peice of velcro :notgood: but i wanna fix it for real so ANY input guys?

is there any way you could take a few quick shots of the problem areas? maybe I can help you out, this forum isn't very active, but no matter, what your saying is that the TPS hits the fuel rail? you might want to check VFAQ.com and click on DSM modifications site, then electrical, you might be able to find a little more info. there, or maybe you could do a search for 90 and 91-94 engine swaps here on DSMtuners?

Sorry to hear that your car still isn't running good, especially on Christmas, let me know and I'll try to help you out,
-James

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back