The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

9!'clipseDOHC's 1g DSM build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windows guy all the way here. Got a friend with a newer laptop?

If you've ever turned on the fuel pump through ECMlink while looking at a fuel pressure gauge the pressure comes up in about 1 sec. So if it's taking longer than that it might not be pressure related. Mine was taking 5 plus seconds and I had to give it throttle.

Since it's only after it's been sitting for a while it could be the CrankingFuelAdj tab. I know you live in a hotter area than me but keep an eye on coolant temp when cranking and see if there is a value that above it's fine but below it's pissy. At least the log I could find has +20.3% fuel at 126 coolant temp so that's quite a significant amount.
Ok thank you, I will check out the coolant temp and CrankingFuelAdj tab. Unfortunately, the only windows laptops I have access to are work computers and I can't install applications on them.

Since installing the FIAV bypass plate and resetting the idle it has been idling like a dream! Cold starts, warm starts, after driving, it doesn't matter. Idle has been rock solid without any surging! I am very pleased!
IMG_0828.jpeg

This morning I installed the JXB Performance driveshaft bearing carriers. It was a very easy install, jack up the car, lower the exhaust, unbolt the old carriers, cut the metal portion I used a grinder with a cutoff wheel), remove what's left of the rubber portion (I used a box cutter), and reinstall the new ones. I went with the "street" material which is softer. They also offer a "race" version which is stiffer.
Resized_20240406_080703.jpeg

Resized_20240406_081339.jpeg

Resized_20240406_081614.jpeg

Resized_20240406_110348.jpeg

Resized_20240406_105910.jpeg

Check out the before and after video to see the vast improvement in play!

Last edited:
I drove my Eclipse to work today (you've got to drive your Eclipse on Eclipse Day, right?), and the improvement from the JXB carriers is incredible! That clunking sound it gone, the shifting is much better, and the overall quality of the drive is vastly improved. I am very glad I went this route and highly recommend them!

Updated list:
  • Horn doesn't work. Luckily we didn't need it but I want to get it working. FIXED (corrected anti-theft system wiring)
  • Wipers work on intermittent and medium but completely stop as soon as I move the switch to high. FIXED (Loose wire)
  • Transmission comes out of gear on decel in both 3rd and 5th. Shifter adjusted, still an issue.
  • Check engine light came on for coolant temps a couple of times. Building ducting. Need to replace sensors.
  • Clunking during some shifts. FIXED (JXB driveshaft bearing carriers).
  • Still Idle surging on cold starts. FIXED (FIAV bypass plate)
  • Still taking a bunch of cranks before it starts to fire up due to not holding fuel pressure when off.
  • Very low idle sometimes (dropping to ~500), almost causing it to stall out. FIXED (BISS adjustment after FIAV Bypass).
  • At times it seemed to wander on the road at high speeds. I checked the suspension components, and everything seems tight. Need adjustable rear upper control arms to fix negative camber.
  • Windows fogging up in the rain and cold interior temps - Rounding up replacement dash ducting to reinstall heater box and fan.

I think the prime feature would completely solve my issue but can't get the newer ECMlink application to work on either of my laptops and my current version of the application doesn't have that feature. I have also changed the diaphragm in my AFPR to no avail, so I think it is just the lack of a check valve in the Walbro 255.

On my old laptop that I have always used ECMLink on (2006 MacBook running OS X 10.6.8 and ECMLink 3.22.172) I can connect to my car (running V3 Full). So that tells me my ECU, cable, etc. are all working.

I tried to update to the newest ECMLink application (ECMLink 3.46.226), but it requires OS X 10.11 or newer. This laptop is running the newest OS it can handle (10.6).

I pulled out my wife’s laptop (2009 MacBook running OS X 10.13.6 and was able to install ECMLink 3.46.226 and the drivers for OS X 10.4+ but it cannot connect to my car.

I was able to download the firmware request from my old laptop but can’t move forward until I can get the laptop with the newest application version to connect.

I haven't messed with hot start enrichment, but it starts great after it's been running. The only issue is after it's been sitting for hours and fuel pressure has dropped.

Also on the low idle issue, I checked with ECMLink when I got home yesterday and my ISC was at 90+. The car was idling so low it actually did shut off when I pulled in the driveway. I unscrewed the BISS a couple of turns until the ISC position moved to 60 and it seems much better now but I'll have to drive it a little more to confirm.
I've been reading that the latest version of the app is causing problems (ie. not running/running well). 3.36.73 is the sweet spot still. Are you able to get that one? I have the Windows installer if you need it.

For your long cranking/not holding fuel pressure issue, do you have this feature enabled in ECMlink to prime the pump with the key on? This may be a quick and easy fix.

View attachment 728032
I was very excited when I found out about this feature, but I have not been able to get my laptop that can run it to connect to my ECU. I made a post on ECMTuning about the issue but no solution as of yet.
I think the prime feature would completely solve my issue but can't get the newer ECMlink application to work on either of my laptops and my current version of the application doesn't have that feature. I have also changed the diaphragm in my AFPR to no avail, so I think it is just the lack of a check valve in the Walbro 255.

On my old laptop that I have always used ECMLink on (2006 MacBook running OS X 10.6.8 and ECMLink 3.22.172) I can connect to my car (running V3 Full). So that tells me my ECU, cable, etc. are all working.

I tried to update to the newest ECMLink application (ECMLink 3.46.226), but it requires OS X 10.11 or newer. This laptop is running the newest OS it can handle (10.6).

I pulled out my wife’s laptop (2009 MacBook running OS X 10.13.6 and was able to install ECMLink 3.46.226 and the drivers for OS X 10.4+ but it cannot connect to my car.

I was able to download the firmware request from my old laptop but can’t move forward until I can get the laptop with the newest application version to connect.

I haven't messed with hot start enrichment, but it starts great after it's been running. The only issue is after it's been sitting for hours and fuel pressure has dropped.

Also on the low idle issue, I checked with ECMLink when I got home yesterday and my ISC was at 90+. The car was idling so low it actually did shut off when I pulled in the driveway. I unscrewed the BISS a couple of turns until the ISC position moved to 60 and it seems much better now but I'll have to drive it a little more to confirm.
I've been reading that the latest version of the app is causing problems (ie. not running/running well). 3.36.73 is the sweet spot still. Are you able to get that one? I have the Windows installer if you need it.
I'm a Mac user without access to a Windows laptop.

Last edited:
Are you able to run Parallels to get a Windows environment in your laptop? I'm not sure if it's s built in feature or something extra but might be an option if you only have access to a Mac.
I do have an older version of windows on a partition in my 2006 MacBook with Boot Camp. I used to use that to tune my Evo with EvoScan and ECUflash. I will have to look into it to see if it can run the newest version of ECMlink with the fuel pump priming feature.

I was very excited when I found out about this feature, but I have not been able to get my laptop that can run it to connect to my ECU. I made a post on ECMTuning about the issue but no solution as of yet.

I'm a Mac user without access to a Windows laptop.
Windows tablets are handy, I'm told. But to get one that runs link is about as expensive as a small netbook-style thing (do they even call them that anymore?) and you gain a keyboard.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back