The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

89 RAM 50 4g swap "Validation Plan"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scored a mint 1g dsm steering wheel from the local pick and pull.. best part is that it was already pulled and laying in the back seat. Hoping to get it swapped out with the one in the truck since it has some wear.
20230602_105309.jpg

20230602_105314.jpg

Small update on the truck... switching over ecu systems in the truck.. was able to go to a pick and pull and grab a virgin 1g 2.0L auto non turbo harness.. perfect core for me to make a new harness for the truck and put it on dsmlink v3. If the connection or circuit is not being used and or can't be used in the future it's getting cut out and de pinned from the ecu side.

20230727_122224.jpg
20230727_122217.jpg
20230727_195043.jpg
20230728_144217.jpg

My mpi will be there monday for you man, looks good im redoing my harness as we speak well just removing what i dont need to the firewall this time, and wrap it after it starts again.

Harness is getting there. Finally in the truck. Was able to utilize the stock location of the ecu off the ram50.. surprisingly the ecu housing is the same, just had to modify how the board secures to the case. This way not ton of length needs to be taken out of the harness just a few sections need to be modified. Plus the ecu is hidden out of the way.

20230804_205952.jpg
20230804_211321.jpg
20230804_212148.jpg

Harness in. Just need to run some of the main power wires to some relays and new fuse boxes I have coming in and we should be all set.. not going to wrap the harness until we hear this run.

20230805_120023.jpg

Buddy Dan also came up with a nice idea of running gauges in the oe cluster.. so we shall show that when it's done.

Small but big updates.. for the most part all the wiring is completed other than the ebc, and the oil pressure sensor signal. Got some constant 12v and switched 12 v fuse boxes wired up as well as the relays for the fan, fuel pump, and the acc fuse block. Always good to have another person working on the project, Dan helped me keep my sanity! On the inside waiting for a connector to come in to get all the gauges wired in. The shitty part is once the truck gets fired up, all this wiring has to come out and get wrapped up.

20230808_004149.jpg

While i was wiring the bay Dan was messing with the cluster. Here is Dan's vision, and it coming into reality.. this cluster is dope. Still have some clean up to do on the lense and such before it goes in but damn does it look good. Was able to get the cel, brights, and the turn signals incorporated into the cluster.
713115826.jpg

20230808_125152.jpg

Damn, nice job! It's looking real good and getting closer.
Heck yea. Thanks man! Been a long time coming, should have done it this way from the get go but got too eager to drive the truck on the old ecu setup.

First fire was a success. Man does this thing start up and idle so much better then on the old ecu setup.. small tweaks to do to get it on the money but just pumped overall.

Cluster wiring came out simple and sleek. Nice job to my buddy while I was working on the truck side. Last thing is make the other side of the connector on the dash oard side and throw in the wideband sensor to make sure all the gauges function as intended.. then the pain in the ass.. pull engine harness out to wrap.
20230814_235542.jpg

Cluster is in.. man is it nice to have a working cluster.. leds incorporated as well for turn signals, check engine light, as well as brights.. thing came out sleek. Couple things need to be finessed to put the trim back on but it's damn near there.

20230816_205310.jpg

nice build man.. I have a 86 1st gen im swapping... just got my 5 lug front hubs and w59 trans yesterday.. this is the custom dash I made for my 92 colt vista race van... looks close to yours.. mine are all nascar autometer ones..

0000019268.jpg

nice build man.. I have a 86 1st gen im swapping... just got my 5 lug front hubs and w59 trans yesterday.. this is the custom dash I made for my 92 colt vista race van... looks close to yours.. mine are all nascar autometer ones..

View attachment 705049
Looks good man.. should be a fun time doing the swap.

Harness fully wrapped up as well as 2 step/antilag/nlts set up as well as rolling antilag setup.. final trial will be later in the week
20230819_031947.jpg

Last edited:
Sick! Nice work! That is going to be a fun little runner, for sure.
Heck yea.. the bad part only a couple months to enjoy until everything goes back into storage.. damn michigan...

Small updates but some fixes put in place.. been having some charging issues with the truck. Tried to add a resistor since i have eliminated the battery light with the custom cluser and been on and off working. Decided to ditch the mitsu alternator and swapped over to a GM ls style alternator.. this is the same style alternator I used on my ls notchback with a resistor soldered in place and have not had issues. Got new lower and upper mounts made for the alternator to bolt up to the 4g63. Wired it in and problem solved! (So glad I had a spare motor on the engine stand for mock up and trial purposes, this made it only a few hour job.
20231202_140009.jpg
20231202_140218.jpg

Can you explain the use of the resistor a little bit more?

Can you explain the use of the resistor a little bit more?
The resistor is utilized to mimic having a charging light for the alternator to start charging the system when the vehicle is on. Without a charge light (battery light on your cluster) your alternator doesn't get a "signal" that says hey I'm idling I need to start charging so I don't drain the battery. So since I don't have a battery light in my cluster, the resistor basically has close to the same amount of resistance as a bulb in your cluster to trick the system.

Thanks for the education! I switched to the bigger GM single wire on mine and never understood how the battery light still worked when I didn't plug into the pigtail that came with the alternator.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back