The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

89 Mirage 4g63 swap *new pics*

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wibblersnatch

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2002
Fleming, Ohio
Hi all, My friends and I found a good deal on a Mirage turbo that we just couldn't pass up. It has some fire damage but nothing too serious, just some wires, a fender, and a hood. I've got a lot to learn about these things, like getting the dash out LOL. There must be some hidden bolts somewhere. There are some pretty big plans for the car but as of now we are putting a 4G63 in it so we can drive it to shootout. Our long term goal is going to be 2.4 and AWD, but thats a ways down the road. So after spending 750 dollars and driving 800 miles in 16 hours here she is.

When we got it home.
4698192268_e20d07e6b7_b.jpg

4698193668_ce85d4fbcc_b.jpg

4698186620_44a44857c4_b.jpg

4697554479_74c6e5b129_b.jpg

4697561131_70b22f70f2_b.jpg

4698191752_20fc05a271_b.jpg

After some minor clean up, just removing the burnt stuff.
4697557041_bd1aac9c2e_b.jpg

I'm gonna try scrubbing the balls outta this thing tomorrow and try to get some of that black off. If it comes out good I'll post some more pics.

I got some minor cleaning done today, here ya go Dsm4lyfe12.

4702450484_492a070584_b.jpg

4701818153_f21453a367_b.jpg

4702450792_3f25a53c3d_b.jpg

I think we're just going to resort to sanding the really burnt stuff down and painting the engine bay black.

Yeah project stock block was on there when we got it. Suspension we're not sure of. Probably just to leave it alone for now, although I do have some 1G AWD lowering springs to try out.

Body definitely looks like it's in great shop. See if you can get a sand blaster to clean up the bay from the fire damage and get it looking like new.

I think we should do a quick paint shoot on that baby too :D just to hold her over til the motor is built.

Hey I was thinking, if magnus wont exchange my steel 2.4 long rods for the the aluminum ones I was supposed to get, we are going to have one bad ass set of rods for that thing!

Haha, holy shitballs! That would be badass. You coming over today to check this thing out?

Yeah man, 1g lowering spring would look badddass on that. You should definitly leave the red and not paint it. SLEEPER! LOL, would be sweet to watch a peiced together mirage blow away some mustangs LOL.

i got my self a 91 colt.

img00037201006111419.jpg

Dsm4lyfe12;bt8691 said:
Yeah man, 1g lowering spring would look badddass on that. You should definitly leave the red and not paint it. SLEEPER! LOL, would be sweet to watch a peiced together mirage blow away some mustangs LOL.

Haha never thought about it that way before, but thats total badass!

Let me guess, you drove to jersey to get that car? Let me give you a little history on the car. Its was originally a 1.6 turbo. My buddy just recently traded it for a decent GVR4 (he has always wanted one). Well it was decent before "he tried to reset the timing" before the trade took place. He said it wasn't running right and wanted to look at the timing. Me and my buddy both assumed he meant the base timing. So when the trade finally did go down it came with a trashed head. Not a big deal because we are swapping the set-up from his 92 AWD Talon with a fully built 6bolt. Anyway, the car was already swapped years ago by me and him with a junkyard 130,000 mile 6bolt. That's when "project stock block" started. I don't know if you bought it as a roller or you got the complete car. But, the head was recently rebuilt after a timing belt failure on the way to Atco. The pistons and bottom end were fine. The head had all stock components with the addition of BC 272s. It also had a DNP manifold, small 16G, 550 injectors, chipped eprom, maf translator, tial bov, front mount, full 3" exhaust, 255 Walbro, Aeromotive FPR, stock suspension, open diff, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 and BFG drag radials. The best my buddy got out of the car at the track was a 12.1 at 116mph. Never got off the pad well. Best short time was a 2.0. If you have any other questions about it let me know.

Jeff

Awesome man, thanks for the info! We didn't get the engine, we just picked up the shell and actually got the intercooler setup for it too.

Since you got the intercooler set-up. If my memory serves me right it was either (2) turbo-coupe cores welded together or (2) stock smic's. I can't remember to tell you exactly what they were. It was fab'd up 4 or 5 years ago. I will check with Mike to see what they actually are and I will let you know. It's definitely cool to see the car in the hands of someone from the community. I'm really happy it didn't end up getting scrapped. On a side note, the welds on the pipes may not look pretty but they pressure test A-ok. Their configuration changed many times, hence all the welds. Also, forgot to mention the car is lightened. The drivers door was recently replaced because the car sat on the street and someone backed into the door. I don't know if he removed the side impact bar on that one or not. The passenger side does not have the bar for sure. Again if my memory serves me right it weighed in around 2100 with him in it.

Holy crap thats light! I appreciate all your info man. I am in the midst of doing some wiring for this thing at the moment. I am going to do some more cleaning tomorrow and will post up some more pics.

nice ,might sub scribe, i have a 93 colt i am preparing, will be looking for pointer, have a 6 bolt waiting to drop in too

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back