Thought this was our old colt at first! Then I realized it's an 89 and fwd, still badass though!
We had a 92 AWD, with a built IPT/road surge shift box, and a FP turbo.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLHbKsbw7gs]1992 dodge colt AWD auto 16g - YouTube[/ame]
This was on the old tune and no nitrous, car went 11.6 with a 50 shot of nitrous to stall only. Didn't get a video of it though... Stepped up to the FP and I tuned it to the sound of 380whp and added a 75 shot to stall/spray all the way down the track. Didn't get it to the track, but it went door to door with a high 10 second camaro only spraying on the stall. Weighed in at 2100lbs with me in it.
I killed the alternator at the race above trying to charge a bunch of crap I shouldn't have been trying to charge. The alternator couldn't be removed without lifting the radiator. So once the radiator was out I figured I would go ahead and yank the turbo and port the turbine housing. Unfortunately, once I got the turbo off I realized it wasn't worth putting back on due to the oil seal leaking and so many cracks on the housing. I was always happy with the 20G on the Galant back in the day so I looked at upgrading to a billet 20G. However, I found a new GTX3071R for real cheap so I pulled the trigger. I prefer as close to a stock appearing as I can muster so I will be running a 2G manifold with a FP30 turbine housing. "Stock appearing" is of course relative. The guys I will be racing against won't have a clue.
Oh yeah, and I also picked up a bigger intercooler but the end tanks are going to need a rework. The car is going to be down for a few weeks so I went ahead and yanked the ECU to have it socketed.
I'm not sure if you've fixed your mounts, but i usually buy a $5 tube of PL polyurethane black roof and flashing sealant from home depot / lowes and fill the voids in the stock mounts. it makes the mounts much more solid and i've repaired nearly completely torn mounts this way. just make sure to degrease and clean them well ahead of time to ensure a good bond. One tube easily does two mounts. i use a spackle knife to spread the urethane evenly.
I figured out the previous owner had them filled once I pulled the turbo. I can't see the rear mount but the other three are filled. I have access to a donor car so I will probably just steal those unmodified mounts and get prothanes.
I started working on the intercooler end tank change this past weekend. I also picked up a 44mm wastegate, 2.5" v-band, and a 3" v-band. Still waiting for the FP turbine housing to get started on making the 02 housing.
first mock up without end tanks
Each end tank will need to be moved down
The driver's side is going to need a little extra work. The pipe still interferes with the alternator so the pipe will need a little more angle. The entrance hole is already as low as it will go so I can't just bring the pipe down farther.
I also swapped to the DSM shifter knob. Seems simple enough except the stock shaft wouldn't accept it so I had to cut the shafts off both shifters and swap. Then the shift boot sat too low so I had to install a washer on the shaft and then trim the bottom of the knob to raise it up.
My downpipe is going to need a rework now as well since it is currently 2.5". Luckily, it steps up to 3" after the flex section so I won't have to make a complete new one.
***update from tonight***
The driver's side pipe won't be as bad as I originally thought. I think that if I ran a 90 degree cast aluminum piece to mate up against that side it would save some space in the alternator area. I will try and run it with a silicone hose though.
I have been busy with work so I haven't had much time with the car. The 3071 had a major exhaust leak at the primary v-band that I couldn't fix with the turbo on the car. After reinstalling everything that leak was gone but now the wastegate v-band was leaking. I tried tightening the clamp and it just broke. I had to yank everything again. Basically the two flange mounting surfaces are slightly off so I need to cut one of the pipes and reweld them to relieve the tension the clamps was putting on them.
Long story short, I deliberated for weeks as to whether I was going to run a billet 20G or the 3071 before I pulled the trigger on this set-up and I think I made the wrong decision for a daily driver. For servicing reasons this tiny little engine compartment is too much of a pita. The 3071 will be for sale as soon as I fix the v-band situation and I am waiting on a billet 20G with 6SL2 wheel & 7cm housing.